QSS and Tenacity for AP

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Netteh

03-15-2013

Has there been any thought regarding a QSS and tenacity for AP champions?
In season 2 there was Eleisa's miracle and Moonflair spellblade for that, but there is none (as far as I know) in season 3

It would really help AP champs such as Diana IMO
Would also help (for and against) squishy AP burst assassins like Ahri to not get bursted down instantly as soon as they gets stunned, but allows for cleansing and flashing away

Has there been any thoughts on this matter?

awkwardbowman

03-15-2013

They wanted to remove a lot of the tenacity available and limit who could get it. Mainly, it is limited to AD because they're usually DPS. Unlike mages who can just burst and get out, they have to remain in the fight for a long time to be effective, hence having reduced cc and a free cleanse to try and balance it out. Give that to a mage and they will never be locked down after they front-load their damage.

TL;DR
It would help them but give them an advantage and cause them to outclass any DPS champions.

67chrome

03-16-2013

QSS isn't AD, only Mercurial Scimitar is - technically you can still grab it on AP champions.

As for Tenacity, my best guess is that Riot wanted to make some distance between tanky bursters like Cho'Gath, Diana, Mordekaiser, Rumble, etc. from champions like Karthus, Anivia, and Orianna - were limiting Tenacity to boots for such champions generally causes the former to get Mercury Treads and the latter Sorcerer's Shoes.

That said, I used Mooflair Spellblade considerably more than Cloak and Dagger or Elisa's Miracle - I'm fairly certain it's downfall had more to do with not showing up under Blasting Wand recipies, so you had to search for it under Magic and Ability Power - out of all the boots, Sorcerer's Shoes certainly had a useful enough passive to merit holding off on tenacity.

I can see why Riot would want to force that decision considering the range of AP champions in the game and how they tend to be balanced though. In that most tanks, bruisers, and especially supports have high base values and lower scaling, and assassins and mages tend to have higher scaling but lower base values. Having higher base values and lower scaling directly benefits from heavy penetration, allowing the more survivable AP champions to get more from essentially the only ability damage multiplier than the classes that are actually supposed to scale into late game - so there needs to be some sort of down side of getting things like Sorcerer's Shoes on a tanky/melee champion. At least that's what I'm guessing has something to do with it.

Sodha

03-19-2013

I think that many assassins could benefit from an AP Tenacity item, in order to make it unfavorable for ranged burst casters the item can be made such that it is only effective on melee champs (think of an item with an active like Ravenous Hydra's except with tenacity and AP).

EDIT: I should elaborate a bit:
Most assassins only need the tenacity come teamfight phase, they benefit greatly from sorc shoes early, so the problem arises when they've got their sorc shoes and now want a tenacity item to transition into teamfight phase. Before; we had Moonflair, but now I find myself building Spirit of the Ancient Golem on champs like Fizz, which looks a tad awkward.

Akira Kid41

03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodha View Post
I think that many assassins could benefit from an AP Tenacity item, in order to make it unfavorable for ranged burst casters the item can be made such that it is only effective on melee champs (think of an item with an active like Ravenous Hydra's except with tenacity and AP).

EDIT: I should elaborate a bit:
Most assassins only need the tenacity come teamfight phase, they benefit greatly from sorc shoes early, so the problem arises when they've got their sorc shoes and now want a tenacity item to transition into teamfight phase. Before; we had Moonflair, but now I find myself building Spirit of the Ancient Golem on champs like Fizz, which looks a tad awkward.
If you're playing an assassin in team fights, you shouldn't be in the middle of the team fight. Your role is to clean up after damage has been dealt, and c/ds have been blown where it is safe. Just playing an assassin does not give you the capabilities to fulfill that role. You have to think and play like one.