Now Mac Next Linux?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

USamsMisguidedCo

05-01-2013

Not sure where to submit this but, now that LoL has been ported to Mac and is working well how hard would it be to create a Linux port as well? Most of the underlying systems between Mac and Linux are so similar I cant imagine that it would be that difficult besides changing between quartz and X11. I would be more than willing to help with that port of the game as well.

Dataslave

Adjudicator

05-01-2013

As a software developer, I can tell you that while anything is possible, I wouldn't hold your breath. The biggest hurtle to a native Linux client is Adobe AIR, which is used to write the patcher and launcher. Adobe discontinued support for Adobe AIR for Linux desktops on June 14 2011.

Despite the negative community feelings towards the AIR launcher, they seem to like it, and have expressed no interest in replacing it. The best argument I saw was that they'd rather spend their finite developer resources on improving the actual game, and not replacing a working launcher system that has no impact on gameplay.

The biggest counterpoint to their stance is that if they rewrote the launcher as part of the game, they could load the game resources at launch of the client, rather than after champion selection. It would almost eliminate the champion loading screen.

While I'm sure there are plenty of players who'd love to play the game on Linux, I'm not sure if that number approaches something that would offset the development cost. Rather than spending resources on a native Linux port, they might be better served creating an official emulated client, much like the original mac client used to be before they scrapped it, and the unofficial BoomPJE client. If it turns out that enough Linux players start using this client, it might give them a financial incentive to make a native port.

For the foreseeable future, you're stuck emulating it using WINE on Linux, or running a windows virtual machine.

12cylbastion

05-18-2013

I would love to see a linux client. I would even be willing to help test/develop (but I am still kind of a noob at programming).... I have a windows partiton on my hard drive that i only really use to play league, so this would make things soo much easier!

wolfiestyle

05-19-2013

It would be nice if WINE would become a supported platform. Blizzard games like Warcraft3 and WoW run flawlessly on WINE: