Let's talk about Champ Select

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GosuNightmare

03-21-2013

Votekick, implement now. Too many trash bags who say nothing then come to your lane and duo mid.

Beas7ie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-22-2013

I like the queue role idea but there needs to be a way to keep trolls out of it. If we just have a queue role thing with no sort of way to enforce it, then any ******* can just queue in as support and then in pregame say they want solo top and lock in Garen.

You can block out certain champs from certain roles but at the same time this is enforcing a predetermined meta and will block out potentially unique and effective alternate champions to fill roles they don't normally fill, and even possibly prevent unique options such as kill lanes (Pantheon, Leona kill lane ftw)

lilkwon

03-23-2013

Please implement Votekick. I just had a game where as soon as we got into champ select, our first pick raged that he was first picked. He was so mad about having been first pick his last 3 games and losing all 3 of those games that he kept yelling at the rest of his teammates, call us trolls and saying how the game is already over... Whole team tried to call him down but we knew he was going to just bring us down.."I'm not really going to try, because I know we're already going to lose". Of course we lost that game. The most enraging thing though is that we can't even report him because it was all said in team chat.. sigh.

blokmuscle

03-23-2013

I personally feel that pre-game chat should be part of the Tribunal chat logs. This will allow a LOT of issues to be rectified by a system which is already in place. A new system is not necessarily required when you already have the Tribunal.

However, I do like the idea of a "dungeon finder" type setup. No matter what people say or want to say, there is a meta, and there is a meta for a reason. More often than not, the meta is what works best, and that is why it's used. If you want to do non-meta activities, play normal games.

That being said, the "meta" as we know it would be the inspiration for the match finder tool, and we all know what champions fall under which roles. Ezreal, no matter how hard you want to argue it, is not an ideal support. Champions like Leona, Taric, Sona, Nunu, Soraka, etc. are go-to supports. If a player picked support as their role when they queued, they should be restricted to picking champions that they own which fall under SUPPORT roles. There is no reason to "queue as a support" only to be able to access all your favorite AD Carries.

To encourage players to queue also for roles they don't necessarily prefer, there could be a tier system. My first choice is Top lane, my second choice is Mid lane, if I cannot possibly have this, I want ADC, and if I can't have that, I guess I'll do Support. Should I get stuck with support ultimately based on a queue-line system, I might receive a small (mostly negligible) bonus reward for playing that role if we win the game. If we lose, I lose the same amount I would otherwise.

Scenario...

We have 5 players in queue. Player 1 began his matchmaking search before Player 2, whose search began before Player 3, and so on.

Player 1's role preference: Mid, Top, Jungle, ADC, Support
Player 2's role preference: Mid, Jungle, ADC, Support, Top
Player 3's role preference: Top, ADC, Mid, Support, Jungle
Player 4's role preference: ADC, Top, Support, Jungle, Mid
Player 5's role preference: Mid, Jungle, ADC, Top, Support

These players end up on the same team and are assigned roles as follows...

Player 1 -- Mid (He receives standard gains from winning because its his first choice)
Player 2 -- Jungle (He receives 1% more gain from winning due to being his 2nd choice)
Player 3 -- Top (He receives standard gains from winning because its his first choice)
Player 4 -- ADC (He receives standard gains from winning because its his first choice)
Player 5 -- Support (This man receives 5% more gain from winning due to it being his last choice)

The point of this system being that you don't get to choose you don't want support. You simply place support where you want it in your list of preferences. If support is your least favorite role, its at the end, but that doesn't mean you will sit in queue forever because every game is requiring a support and no one wants to support. YOU WILL support if there is no one else available for the sake of games needing to be match made (2 hour queues anyone?) but the fact is because its your least preferred role, you get 5% more of a reward due to that fact if you should win. That gives me incentive to play harder in my support role, to get that bonus reward, and it also allows matchmaking to continue without being held up from lack of supports or jungles.

Whether this is a good idea or not -- who knows. I just wanted to share my 2 cents and let people think about this in possibly a different way. I am quite happy to see RIOT trying to do something to the system.

EDIT: There should be a way to swap roles pre-game though. I have seen a lot of people have no problem at all giving up their role to someone else simply because they asked nicely. Just like champion swaps occur, role swaps are necessary.

Instalockers

03-23-2013

I won't be playing much solo queue before I see some changes, I won't be playing much LoL at all. I'm fed up with instalockers in all my recent queues, I haven't been playing at all for three days and the last week has been scarce. I've met an instalocker or ******* in all queues these last days and I've dodged every single one of them.

Skyrim is my sanctuary in the meantime.

King Alex

03-23-2013

So in response to the last post by lyte, if the 1st and the 5th pick have very similar mmr (1 to 2 games) how is it possible that I can have 140 ranked games played, be silver IV, and im first pick, but the 3rd pick in my ranked game has 30 ranked games played (less than 50% win rate) and be Bronze II? Pick Gragas and use his ult once the entire game?

Apox

03-23-2013

1. pre-game chat not being visible

2. some sort of guidelines from Riot for pre-game champ select. this is obviously only effective if #1 is taken care of first.

as it stands one guy can threaten to kill my unborn children in champion select (which literally has happened) and you can't really report or do anything except dodge.

ANGLVD3TH

03-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadow View Post
2)

I do not believe in either. My standard text is this in ranked select: Greetings! Preferring lane from best to least: Support/Mid/Jungle/Top/ADC

Do you see above here pick order or call order? Sure, there are people in my ranked matches that calls or even forces "pick order" but when they see the above they respond differently.

Such as player 1 (first pick) first said: I'M MID. And then I follow with the above text and he surprisingly said after: "I'm sorry, I can actually mid best and top slightly worser if someone would've liked mid". Pretty big of a change isn't it?
What about a super simple version of the solution option 2. Instead of actually grouping people though, all it is is a checklist where you check off what order you would like to play, for example, Meadow would rate support 1st, then mid, etc. Then it displays people preferences in the champ select. Pretty much automatically applying the method meadow uses to all players.

EDIT As for a proper dungeon finder style, I'm dubious. I can too clearly imagine people queueing up for support to reduce search times and instalocking mid. If this model is used, need to have harsh penalties for not fulfilling the picked roll. If it is implemented well I think it would be my favorite solution, but getting it to work right may be an issue. And if it is implemented, I don't think champs should be limited by type. What if me and my buddy have a weird non-meta combination that looks horrible but works great? In short, should punish for not playing the roll, not champ selected.

Leverette

03-24-2013

What if we tested the WoW dungeon finder idea as a separate kind of game mode? We've got draft pick, blind pick, why not add "lane pick" or whatever we wanna call it and let it serve as an OPTIONAL test. And instead of basing it off of a role, which can lead to controversy on how to play a specific champion, we instead base it on a lane. Choices could be:

Top Lane
Duo Top Lane <--- Would only get queued with someone else who picked this.
Mid Lane
-----
Bottom Lane
----- -OR- -----
Bottom Lane: Damage
Bottom Lane: Support <----- I know this triple select bot thing is odd, but it could work.
Bottom Lane: Double Damage <----- Same as Duo Top Lane
Jungle

While I do realize that this would only appeal to those who want to play something resembling the meta, the fact that it's an OPTIONAL choice over draft/blind means that the people who use it would already be of mind to want what it offers.

Thoughts? Additions? Criticisms? XYZ's?

Edit: Oh and before someone points this out: You can only select ONE lane. You may NOT select several possible roles and then get randomly assigned one...that defeats the purpose of this.

YOUR CHAMP IS OP

03-24-2013

I read this entire thing.

And in the end my main thoughts are:

1. the word "Toxic" is overused and poorly defined. What makes a toxic player? Not chat, for sure. Use your ignore function. What makes a toxic player is someone who through their actions or inactions affect the actual outcome of the game - in a way that cannot be shut off using a chat function.

2. I am glad to see Riot is FINALLY focused on positive reinforcement rather than punishment.

3. The idea that changing player behaviour should be a priority is naive at best. Human nature cannot be beat by game functionality.