Let's talk about Champ Select

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ltn2150

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-18-2013

we need a kick button, a pause button, and a better queue where if one person leaves EVERYONE LEAVES. since u guys are pretty much copying all the other MOBAs at least take HoN's match making system

XeroSun

03-18-2013

I have 4th option!
Make champion pick before queue or invisible picks with no chat option until all players pick their champions.
When picks are sorted, enable chat for 2+ minutes for ppl to decide on strategy with champions they have.
No more meta! We might see scenarios like 5 adc raged or 5 supports or 5 tanks but this still would be fair and fun to play.

U guys at Riot have to face things. U either decide that there is some sort of meta in lol after years that doesn't change much in solo queue and make meta queue or do something to destroy meta created by players. 2nd option will cause total disorder and might even destroy this game.

U guys can make match finder based on lanes.
Ex: Pick before queue what they want to play: duo lane, jungle, solo lane
If one player or two pick duo lane and one solo and they meet in same selection they just decide with who they gonna play in lane and champion choice is their own. That might implement more kill lanes at bot lane rather than adc + support.

Samael

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirderpzalot123 View Post
Add a mute button in the champion select. People can call lanes but it wont make a difference people will pick what they want. I have to ignore everyone when the game starts anyway, because of all the negativity. Give us the option to mute people in champ select if they start out being negative.
LOL this would literally do nothing but make things worse

Vinh C H E

03-18-2013

These are some major problems with Champ Select that we’ve identified in our research. So what’s next? A lot of players have suggested the following:

1) Vote Kick | Players want the ability to vote kick toxic players from Champ Select.

Vote Kick... Yeah maybe you think it is one of the best option (best of three). But there is something that will make the game to be bored.
Example (Cause i suck at explaining thing):
1/I want to play Singed support. I prepared rune, masteries and practiced a lot. I know i can support with him cause singed has high HP pool, can fling and slow the enemy, ect. But player who queue with me. They want to kick me out cause they think that i'm trolling. (Limit the creativity)
2/ Player A has top and player B want top. They argued about it. Player B use votekick player A out BUT not much people vote yes. So A lost the arguement and when the game is up. B blame everyone for not kicking A cause they are losing the game. (Making conflict when the game hasn't even start yet)
3/ A duel trolls playing SoloQ, You can't vote kick people with 3/2 vote. (Like surrender vote.)
2) WoW Dungeon Finder | Players want the ability to queue up for a particular role like “Healer” and “DPS” and placed into a Champ Select with a team
Player in role like support will be lesser and lesser. (Limit the creativity of the player.)
3) Prisoner’s Island | Players want matchmaking to pair toxic players with toxic players, and positive players with positive players.
Toxic + Toxic = More toxic then evar

PS: Why not a Dodge game vote?
And sorry for my super bad English.

Sexybobolonie

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
1) Vote Kick | Players want the ability to vote kick toxic players from Champ Select.
2) WoW Dungeon Finder | Players want the ability to queue up for a particular role like “Healer” and “DPS” and placed into a Champ Select with a team
3) Prisoner’s Island | Players want matchmaking to pair toxic players with toxic players, and positive players with positive players.

What are some pros and cons to these ideas? Would they work for League?
Personally I would say the simplest is the WoW dungeon Finder style. This style of method has worked across Many many MMO style games and it is overall easy to do. For League it would have to be adjusted correctly to fit the Moba style of play.

This could be done in two ways:
First is that you choose what positions you want to play/are confortable playing before each match.

Second is that you set up the postions that you can play in your profile tab, and you have that always up.

The biggest issue i see is people selecting all the current postions and then still arguing in the chat.

My Personal Idea for a improvement to is to have Personal and All chat in champion select.With a Voting/kicking system.

The proposed voting system is extremely attractive. But a premade group of people, maybe skyping, or jsut friends on League, would dominate the voting system. If the voting system was opened to all ten people in the match.

This idea would allow a higher amount of voting to remove a toxic player, to avoid abusing the system. As well as adress the problem that tribunal faces with pre-game lobby chat.

I believe it would have two chat boxes, both still at the bottom of the screen, On clearly labeled All and the other Labeled Team.

If the toxic player is only chatting in the Team chat, another team member can copy the chat over to the All chat.

Small details of this would include the removal of "Summoner 1, summoner 2, etc..." and we can see the other teams summoners names. Obviously still hiding what champions are being selected. This allows the other team of see who is locking in, so they can have more information to make a educated kick vote.

Then a person "locks in" it would be posted in the All chat, with the time that they locked in. This is used to make note of people instant locking.

A fear im sure that will be mentioned with this idea is a toxic player telling the other team what everyone is playing. well the simple safeguard for this, is not instant locking. By not instant locking, you can change your team/champion if a toxic player does this, after you kick them.

Aefre

03-18-2013

YES! they would work, if u guys implement this system i would be encouraged to try to play ranked games since i had a bad experience with them at the beggining. (bad spelling sorry)

ayushsinha

03-18-2013

Gbay99 inspired him

Brodhi

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
The problem with this is that in the vast majority of games, 1st and 5th pick are differentiated by 1 game's worth of MMR. In other words, if you are 5th pick and won 1 or 2 more games, you would have been 1st pick that game.

Although the 1st pick does have the highest MMR for that particular lobby, it's not statistical support that he's the best player in the lobby.
If ELO/MMR is not a reflective stat for skill, what is the entire point of Ranking players? The definition of a Ranking system is to differentiate player skill, from the most skilled player at the top to the least skilled player at the bottom. If you think that the person with the highest MMR in a lobby is not actually the best player in the lobby, why even have a ranking system?

Answer: Because then Diamond players would roll over Bronze players if they were not in separate queues.

MMR is also more indicative of skill than League/Tier is. As stated before, I've been above Silver I/II's as Silver III, which shows that I have a higher skill than them because I have won more of my games. It doesn't matter if I've won 1 or 100 more games than them, I am still a higher MMR and thus have a higher skill--THAT IS THE SYSTEM YOU HAVE IN THE GAME. You cannot deny that at all.

And like I said before, it is the responsibility of picks 2-5 to understand that Pick 1 is the best player in that lobby, and should let him play what he wants.

SasakitheCouncil

03-18-2013

The only way to fix champion select is to give players power in forming their teams.

NEW SYSTEM:

Instead of randomly being paired with 3-4 other players, players enter a lobby with a number of other players of a similar MMR. Next to a player's name is a space for them to give info about themselves, what kind of roles they play, for example.

Once a player is in this lobby, they can opt to become a captain and begin inviting people to join their team. Once the team is full, the members can discuss composition, roles, ect, before hitting a "READY" button, and being pitted against a team of a similar MMR.

Since almost all dodges at this point would be because of disliking the enemy team comp, dodge penalties from this point on can be very hefty.

This solution fixes a number of problems.

1. It allows players to, generally, que for the role they want. If you really like playing top, then you can certainly put "top only" in your description box, but it might take a lot longer for you to get into a party, especially if a lot of other players want top. Someone who's flexible can put something like "support, adc, or jungle" as their description and would probably be recruited very quickly.

2. It does not cement the meta. If you want to do something like a kill lane bot, all you have to do is ask if anyone in the lobby is willing to do a kill lane bot. If at any time the meta changes, people can just change their descriptions to match.

3. It discourages trolling and generally toxic behavior. Because you can now choose who to match up with, you can intentionally avoid players who were extremely negative or uncooperative in previous games. Because of this, players are now held much more accountable for their actions.

4. It allows for greater teamwork. Instead of just having the system throw 5 random people in a room together and saying "you've got about 1 minute to work everything out. Have fun.", this system enables teams to assign roles that everyone agrees with, as well as forming legitimate team comps. Instead of just having everyone play their "go-to" champion, a competent Captain can form things like a poke comp, and Aoe hell comp, a protect the carry comp, ect.

Forrun

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrun View Post
"Prisoner's Island" is a completely absurd 'solution'. If the idea is to remove toxic players from the general population then we already have systems in place for that, namely the Tribunal.

Matchmaking toxic players in with each other is purposefully setting them up for a negative game-play experience. If you don't see what's wrong with that premise, then you can stop reading and head back to the drawing board because I think you've lost the point of game design entirely. Furthermore, that this is happening to them is not even expressly communicated within the basic premise. For all the average toxic player knows, he's just being extremely unlucky in being paired up with a bunch of other jerks. "

"Prisoner's Island" teaches a toxic player absolutely nothing constructive about themselves, their behavior, or the behavior of others. In fact, I can only see this sort of process only serving to fuel a toxic player's confirmation bias towards the idea that other players are terrible and awful people to interact with. You're basically telling them "You're right, everyone IS terrible and insufferable, here is a series of games match-made specifically to prove it!"

It's like a level of hell. It's completely meaningless and achieves nothing other than satisfying the vengeful hard-ons of a collective that can't be satisfied by simply clicking "Report" and writing a supporting comment.
Would like some feedback on this.