Does K/D/A REALLY not matter in solo queue?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vichar

03-11-2013

Hi Everyone,

Sometimes I hear people say that KDA doesn't matter in Solo Queue. Heck, I've said it myself at times. But is that really true? There is global gold from destroying towers, killing the dragon, and killing the baron. You get a lot of gold from farming. But you also get a lot of gold from killing enemy champions.

But in regards to winning a game, are we really serious when we claim that KDA means nothing? Nothing at all? I don't know how others score their kills, but I get kills from trying to gank lanes that are failing and trying to secure global objectives. Sometimes the enemy jungler gets frisky and I have to slap him down in our jungle. Of course, come team fight time I secure lots of kills.

I've been playing solo/duo queue ranked lately with a friend. I think he's probably about the same level of skill; he specializes in top and jungle while I main mid, adc, and support. So we make a decent duo team. I'm not going to waste anybody's time saying we don't belong exactly where we belong. We set a new low for ourselves dropping from Silver IV to Silver V. We clearly belong there, since we cannot carry hard enough to cover when all lanes are failing. And honestly? When we play, it seems that about 60-70% of the time all (the other) lanes are failing. We were 1500 and 1430 in Season 2 playing solo queue by ourselves. I was still climbing when I stopped playing.

Here's my recent ranked match history. You can't see all of it in lolking because I play normal games as well:

Anivia 10 / 0 / 9 (win)
Tristana 13 / 0 / 9 (win)
Lulu 2/ 4 / 28 (loss) - I made vayne look like a god, but she simply would not join for team fights late game. I told her NOT to roll INTO team fights and she refused to listen. Sigh.
Anivia 1 / 3 / 2 (loss) - I was 1/0/1, 3 deaths came during trash time (nexus defense, etc.). Team surrendered.
Anivia 9 / 3 / 4 (loss)
Tristana 6 / 5 / 5 (loss) - I was 5 / 0 / ?, deaths came after laning phase ended the quantity of kills fed to enemy team was too much to overcome in team fights.
Anivia 5 / 2 / 9 (loss)
Anivia 7 / 1 / 7 (loss)
Anivia 14 / 0 / 14 (win)

I've had to support a lot of games in there too, but I don't remember what my scores were. They were a lot like that Lulu score, except with fewer deaths.

As you can see, sometimes I score pretty well but still lose the game; this is to be expected, since it's a 5 player per team game. But can we really say that KDA means NOTHING? There's no way for anyone to know, but I'm not trying to rack up kills. I'm warding for teammates (more than my fair share), I'm helping all lanes, I'm watching the minimap, I'm communicating and trying to lead. The thing is, I haven't yet figured out how to get through to bad players. Many players simply refuse to do what I say, thinking that they know best and that, say, getting a free dragon or taking an undefended tower is a bad idea. Or pushing a lane by themselves and getting caught and killed repeatedly, even AFTER I've told them to ward while pushing.

See I have a theory. I'm not good enough to feed off my lane opponent and gank quickly enough to keep up with the rate at which my other lanes are feeding. I dominate my lane, but not enough to keep the good players on the other team from crushing my team. I'm faced with 2 major scenarios:

1) I stay in my lane, push the tower down, but during this time my team feeds out of control and the game is lost that way. A monster is created top or bot.
2) I gank a lot, but my lane opponent (who has usually died to me a couple of times) is free to push my lane when I'm not there and can take my tower while I'm helping bot or top.

I would like to claim that KDA means something. I think that, all other things being equal, good KDA is correlated to skill even more strongly than MMR near the mean MMR area. This is because MMR is a little confused by the fact that this is a 5v5 game and therefore subject to random factors. Whereas KDA, while still diluted by random factors like teammate performance, having to support, is still largely an individual metric. It measures your ability to calculate the outcome of engagements prior to engaging. Thoughts? Anyone else have an opinion about this?

Fenix9000

03-11-2013

KDA means a lot
The higher it is, the more likely you will carry your team to victory (unless you are a support champion or a utility jungler)

arphan

03-11-2013

Actually KDA means something, but this game, its all about global gold.
For example, you kill one champion but the other team streal dragon. Worth it?
For example, you gank a lane with 4champions and kill him, but the other team push one or two turret! Worth it?

-Arphan-

Yrael

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-11-2013

It depends if you're the one feeding, other than that KDA really doesn't matter because it can't measure how much lane presence you've provided & how much you've actually helped. I once did a singed game & went 2/8/?(like, 2 or 4 assists), but i was the most fed & feared on my team becuase of farm & solo pushing all of the enemy lanes.

Tang Bohu

03-11-2013

Not if you lose.

You are dominating lane? Push lane and roam. Co-ordinate with jungler to take turret and end laning before your teammates fall farther behind.

You're ganking their lane? Let them last hit the enemy. It closes the gap significantly. Taking the kill for yourself does little for the team since you're already ahead and mostly makes you feel less responsible for a loss.

Frizzy350

03-11-2013

Score doesn't matter, but making bad decisions (feeding and/or baiting your team to their death) does.

For instance if you are playing annie, land a perfect tibbers stun on all 5 enemies then a W and Q dropping the enemy team straight down to 1/3 hp and then are immediately blown up - you actually just made a great play (assuming ur team cleans it up) even though you just died and didn't kill anyone.

Basically all that really matters is how often you die, and if you do die you hope you did enough to make it worth it. Enabling kills, getting dragon/baron or towers for a death is perfectly acceptable.

Qi Pug Macchiato

03-11-2013

Try being encouraging and positivity.

I tend to carry games equally as hard, and I come out victorious alot of them. Yes, when every lane is losing, you obviously won't be able to do well. Especially if it's something like 0/5 in every lane 10 minutes into the game.

But here is the catch. What is your attitude? You have to realize that if you're being a dick, telling people to stfu, that they're noobs and that these people are scrubs, team mates will only perform worse. If you recognize the game as officially unwinnable, it's often times true and your best off just not saying anything at all. If you want to vent, vent to yourself in the room. Don't waste time typing and moping about others.

Several come back victories where I was fed, I simply told team mates not to worry about and waited for the enemy team to screw up big. Get caught alone, dive a turret too hard, etc. I made great plays, and my team followed up because they didn't see me as some ass hole they're secretly wishing to die (especially when you have a ratio like that, and they all have terrible ratios). When you're doing bad and raging, you're seen as a noob. When you're doing good and raging, your team secretly hopes you do bad just to shut you up.

Either way, attitudes win games. Try improving team morale instead of going for the kills next time. And while I'm not saying you SHOULD be dying in team fights, considering there are several games you have with 0 deaths, take into consideration the fact you may be running away from clutch team fights when you shouldn't. Especially as anivia, sometimes its good to bait the enemy team to focusing you, and letting your own team do some clean up (egg form = double your effective hp as a tank). From your stats, it looks like you're good at cleaning up, but you may not be so good at positioning and judging the importance of your life vs winning a baron fight. (This is of course speculation, all the more power to you if you are fine at those things).

Vichar

03-11-2013

I usually win the CS battle mid. As in I have more of it than my lane opponent. I agree CS is an important statistic as well, but it's hard to look at because games are all of varying lengths. Also, there are circumstances; if I'm ganking top and bot to help failing lanes I'm missing out on lots of CS. Sometimes playing solo queue feels like plugging a mile-wide dike with my fingers.

Vichar

03-11-2013

Regarding my attitude, I am NEVER negative. I do suggest things to teammates, but here's an example of what I said to my failing vayne:

"Vayne, please don't push the lane without me. If you have to push please bring a ward with you."

"Vayne, please don't roll INTO the enemy team."

"push mid. they are out of position."

"This game is totally winnable. Let's stay focused." (I'm implying they should stop bickering.)

I'll give the team "gj" when they do something good but I won't say anything when they fail. Which is often. I'm polite and encouraging. I think some people just don't respond well to leadership because they think they know better.

Actingman

03-11-2013

KDA can be an indicator as to how well you are personally playing, but it's still a team game and objectives win games. You can be 0/10 and still win a game, but you can't have killed 0 towers and win a game.