Support Main ...Issues branching out

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kaysler

03-11-2013

When I started playing (Leblanc Patch) I was well behiond my friends who were in since beta. I picked up support feeling at the time it was the place i was least likely to pull my team down. As time has gone ppl have moved on or moved away and I'm left being a solid support player with just a handful of top laners I know how to play (singed op op) and when I see a counter to my few safe non support champs I'm left feeling like i am weighing a team down.

How do I practice...even in normals people rage if I throw a game playing someone new. Since I've mained support so long I have this team fight mentality of stay out of trouble or I play tanks that just jump in and disrupt, don't worry about damage carries will do that.

I want to carry, I want to jungle and mid. Top is too snowbally for me right now and i either crush or get crushed. I have the wrong mentality right now, I watch the wrong parts of the fight and I need to reset my approach.
Where do I start, should I just smurf because it really is me being a noob again...or do i just have ppl in normals suffer with me?

Bots aren't a learning thing they are full build farm off the champions blood baths.

Sakk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-11-2013

jungling is a good next step as it also a support role. I recommend VI to start with. Start by getting your route down in bot games, get efficient at the route and then know your role. Cover lanes when people need to B, gank when the opportunity arises, but don't sit in a bush for too long waiting for it. you need to be getting your exp in the jungle, not leeching it from your laning teammates.

SSj Heimerdinger

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-11-2013

Well, supports can carry too, the translation from assists to kills is *.3 on average, so every 3 assists = 1 kill. Going 0-0-21 constantly isn't something out of the norm for people who main supports.
As for that issue you have, I suggest picking some champs that work similar to your favorite support champs, since you seem to like to stay back, farm champs such as nasus, gangplank, yorick all work very well for top lane, for mid think along the lines of karthus, anivia, heimerdinger, Akali, basically farm early, pew pew later champs.
For jungle, perhaps late gamers like amumu/ww could help you as well.

SOJOA

03-11-2013

Make some new friends while your playing and try to team up. Doesnt always work but it does help branch out and find some solid friendly players.

Kaysler

03-11-2013

I am a big Nasus fan as well, I like the Mid suggestions you made there, I'll try some. And yorik. even if you're doing bad you can still change a team-fight with your ADC ulted.

I like the idea of going jungle because as support I have a good concept of lvl1 teamfight power and when and where to invade
I have a desire to become a solid udyr player but in the past (1yr ago) I was TERRIBLE at him. He has such potential to just counter jungle the whole game. I'd like deny their jungle as much as possible if I am jungling. weaker jungler means a safer team.

Tang Bohu

03-11-2013

Jungling is a good transition from support. I have started jungling a lot more lately, and it is very similar. You don't need to focus on the mechanics of CSing and Lane control as much as top and adc, and are more "decision making/gameplay" oriented. I wouldn't go so far as to say "Jungle is also a support role".. I more or less find that to be a load of ****, especially in Solo Queue.... Support junglers are support roles, but with the current meta there are a lot of (what I have come to know) Carry junglers that snowball pretty hard.

*My views on the difference between Support junglers and Carry Junglers are whether they scale really well with items.

Ex of S.Jungle: Maokai/Alistar

Ex of C.Jungle: Vi/Hecarim

KiIiK

03-11-2013

I used to be like that too...I actually still main support, recently started branching to mid by playing more skill shot supports such as zyra/lux...but I did notice jungle was very similar to support when I also jungled in S2...it requires more map awareness than support, you also need to keep track of more timers, and depending on you champ/comp will be the initiator, similar to a good sona/zyra ult initiation

Shiister

03-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakk View Post
jungling is a good next step as it also a support role. I recommend VI to start with. Start by getting your route down in bot games, get efficient at the route and then know your role. Cover lanes when people need to B, gank when the opportunity arises, but don't sit in a bush for too long waiting for it. you need to be getting your exp in the jungle, not leeching it from your laning teammates.
I disagree.

Doing jungle Vi to get started in jungle isn't a good idea. I brought Vi last week or so and use her in jungle only and she lacks armor and survivability.

If you starting out jungling, then WW is a good pick.

DragonPoet

03-11-2013

I felt similar. I started since I think the week Kennen was released. After a while I fell into support roles once Sona came out. If you want to practice jungling, the main thing is to pick a jungler and get a feel for their jungle clear time. Try starting a custom game or even a bot game to practice jungling paths. Once you have a feel for how fast and healthy you can get through the jungle, when you enter a game you'll start learning when to gank effectively. Just let teammates know that you may want them to alert you when they need assistance. Eventually you'll pick it up. Also sometimes you should take a risk with other characters to try and break out of the support mentality for a bit. Always good to branch out though so you can still feel fulfilling in a game.

snadam

03-11-2013

I think its odd everyone is telling you to learn to jungle first. Personally I find jungling to be the most difficult of all roles. That said, I beleive ADC to be the logical role to start learning. Why? Because you already inderstand bottom lane play. As a former support player you know what you like/dislike about ADC behavior. You know the ebb and flow of aggression in that lane. Most importantly, you know the limitations of the support you are paired with. I know that I regularly see ADC's fail because, not because they overestimate their opponent, but because they over estimate their support.