Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

What can be done about champ select trolls?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EagLeaf

03-11-2013

Just dodged a champion select that opened with last pick saying:

Quote:
"i can only mid"

My team wasn't willing to just go along with him (understandably), and we tell him that he'll have to play something else.
Quote:
"if you want i'll support"
"but i only know 1 champ"

At this point I looked up his lolking to see what this "1 champ" was since he wouldn't tell us. It was Syndra. He's played 15 Syndra games this season and has won 4 of them. He goes support Syndra when he doesn't get mid, then he loses.

This guy was gold III and has lower MMR than I do after I just recently reached gold IV again. Sure, he wasn't trolling since he was "trying to cooperate," but I just don't see any positive outcome from this kind of behavior. As last pick he's already limited our team's options, and he uses the fact that he can only play Syndra* to manipulate us.

I don't care about lost LP or the queue dodge timer, I care that this guy ruins people's champion selects with no warning. The only thing you can do against a troll in champion select is to dodge or never queue with them in the first place. You can't predict when you'll have a troll in the queue, so I suppose that dodging is the only real answer. What can Riot do about these kinds of players when they aren't willing to implement kick voting?

*I understand wanting to main a champion, but you have to be flexible. If you stiffly require your team to conform to your main and manipulate them into letting you pick that main, you're being a negative influence in champ select.

EagLeaf

03-11-2013

Bump.

BAD MID

03-11-2013

http://d22zlbw5ff7yk5.cloudfront.net...57150eb377.gif (http://d22zlbw5ff7yk5.cloudfront.net/stash-1-stash-1-50b57150eb377.gif)

EagLeaf

03-11-2013

Quote:
BAD MID:
http://d22zlbw5ff7yk5.cloudfront.net...57150eb377.gif (http://d22zlbw5ff7yk5.cloudfront.net/stash-1-stash-1-50b57150eb377.gif)

I "dealt with it" by dodging. It isn't reasonable to force players to dodge in order to avoid people like that.

Beas7ie

03-11-2013

If you think that's bad then I pity the fellow poor souls who are forced to deal with the very dregs of society down in this hellpit that is called Bronze

Swampmajikk

03-11-2013

seriously, what mechanic or theme in this game is drawing out so many idiots and jerks?
its a cooperative strategy game yet no one cooperates and no one bothers with strategy..
wtf!?

EagLeaf

03-11-2013

Quote:
Swampmajikk:
seriously, what mechanic or theme in this game is drawing out so many idiots and jerks?
its a cooperative strategy game yet no one cooperates and no one bothers with strategy..
wtf!?

You have 5 minutes to get 4 random people to cooperate with you for the next 20-50 minutes in a game where someone's performance can be "measured" at any time using KDA. This is common among all MOBA games. Cooperative PvP games all struggle with the fact that it's hard to make random people act as a team in a short amount of time.

Games like TF2 or others in the FPS genre which feature short matches that you can leave whenever you want (with no real penalty) don't suffer from this as much because every match isn't a commitment. When you start a match in League, you've already decided that 20-50 minutes of your life are going to this game. That puts a lot of pressure to perform perfectly from the start, and most people expect their teammates to be trying just as hard to win.

You can't reach a deep level of "strategy" in the 5 minutes of champion select, so you follow a meta of picks, bans, and roles. Going outside this meta typically means you're doing something very experimental with no real guarantee of success. No one wants to let anyone try anything new because of this. "New" is dangerous and untested, it's possibly 30 minutes of losing. "New" isn't practiced, and it's difficult to pick up in 5 minutes. But strategy lies in the territory of "new." So players stick to the old, tried meta because 5 minutes to set up a good team based on the meta wins games.

EagLeaf

03-11-2013

Bump.

EagLeaf

03-11-2013

Bump.