Armour Penetration Boots?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cryolite

03-11-2013

I'm pretty sure this has come up a lot, but armour penetration boots would really help for those AD assassins in mid, or if someone wants to go full out AD burst. I'm somewhat tired of having to build defensive boots on a bursty champion (who I go something like triple Bloodthirsters on). Why hasn't this been implemented yet? Give me some thoughts :P

GrimFate56

03-11-2013

bezerkers greves give attack speed, thats what ild do if i wanted more power on sombody who i tripple stack BT's on XD

Cryolite

03-11-2013

Well maybe, but the thing is I would do that too if I wanted even more damage, but what if you are a champion that relies on straight up burst? Someone like Lee Sin (disregard his passive for the sake of argument) would benefit more from armour penetration wouldn't he?

IceHound

03-11-2013

As it is now best boots for champions like lee zed or talon as basically defensive or CD boots, the DPS boots is a bad choice on them...

Ballzofire

03-12-2013

They have been staying away from this kind of boots for a long time. simply for the fact that it would be op. Most all adcs would get it. Most all bruisers would too. Its just too good of a stat for boots. Mages need it because they need the early-mid game burst. Late game however it doesnt really add that much to your damage when most champions are hitting over 100 defences. When the flat pen gets less useful than % based pen. Your better off just getting merc treads or the tabi on any bruiser/tank champs. Seeing as your the front line and need to survive. Not burst someone down. Thats the carrys job. Would you rather get an extra 50 damage on your single melee on the carry before your bursted down or survive with the tabi/merc treads? There is only one preset number you should strive for EVERY game, and that is 0 deaths. 100 kills means nothing if you have 100 deaths too. As a bruiser you already do enough damage to the adc/apc that you should be focusing already. Your not a tank killer. Your there to peel your adc while killing players with bad positioning.

ChiSqrd

03-12-2013

Seriously, are the masteries, runes, Last Whisper, and Black Cleaver not enough for you?

67chrome

03-13-2013

If they were % penetration it could be possible, though % penetration is largely worthless until you're fighting opponents with enough level scaling to actually have armor to penetrate. End-Game 35% offers a sizable bonus to DPS, early-game it's hardly noticeable. Which is a weird dynamic for boots to have, as they're generally something that's useful early on.

If they were flat then they would outclass Berserker's Greaves in pretty much every way. Even auto-attackers like Caitlyn, Miss Fortune, Graves, Ezreal, and so on have enough damage placed in abilities and enough gameplay forcing poke, kiting, and harass that armor penetration could offer as little as half the % DPS increase on stand-still fights and still feel like a better buy. Which is also a little awkward concerning in-game itemization.

The last thing to keep in mind is that Boots are picked up by everyone, so even minor boot bonuses can end up having quite an impact on the game. With armor penetration at levels worthy of grabbing them, you've pretty much magnified the damage all physical damage champions are going to output for over half their lanning phase, making physical burst even stronger early-on - causing champions like Garen, Darius, Jayce, Zin Xhao, etc. to hit even harder in the early game period their strong in in addition to assassins. With a few runes, Brutalizer, and such boots you'd be dealing more or less true damage for the entire lanning phase as well - which really limits a lot of counter-building strategies, and sort of begs the question of why True Damage is in the game if everyone has it to begin with.

IVlaverick

03-13-2013

Why not reduce the atk speed on grieves and add a flat armor pen to them? for the sake of argument... oh idk... 10 armor. make it miniscule, but will add up by late game.

Wolf O Donnel

03-13-2013

if you want armor penetration so bad make your ruins armor pen.

Keepsake66

03-13-2013

They dont have these boots because adcs are good enough as is. Armor pen boots would make every adc godlike......and P.S. No player should ever be rewarded for building three BTs on anyone.