To show MMR or not

Show MMR 225 86.21%
Don't show MMR 36 13.79%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

To reveal MMR or not to reveal MMR?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Irish Red Cap

03-20-2013

You must be one of those players who say **** like that. Did he ever say he wanted MMR to be publicly visible? So you can go and check up on other peoples MMR? Maybe read a thread before posting non-sense troll post like yours.

A visible MMR to players give people options to see or not see it for themselves.

PikaRioCed

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-20-2013

Where did I say that? No, the issue is that players begin to ask for other people's MMR, or start stating it in champion select. This usually leads to hostility.

Plausibly Sane

03-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaRioCed View Post
Where did I say that? No, the issue is that players begin to ask for other people's MMR, or start stating it in champion select. This usually leads to hostility.
there's already a lolking equivalent to your ladder progression for the league divisions which people can EASILY look up. that's no different that the rating/division bias. but in a more formal "score".

I'm talking about seeing your own MMR. because you get matched according to it. And if it's not made public to others, what's the harm?

Irish Red Cap

03-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaRioCed View Post
Well I apologize for my rude response. However, lolking gives divisions and LKS (lolking score) and people don't go around asking for "what division are you?" and so forth. It's the same concept, people won't go asking for MMR if it is private. If they state it in pre-game then they probably do the same thing with divisions/LKS so it wouldn't change much.

Selcopa

03-20-2013

I think the main problem with visible MMR is that you create a meta game in solo queue where you micromanage your MMR by paying the 3LP to dodge unfavorable matches when your MMR places you in a match where you aren't going to gain as much LP for the win as opposed to a different match, and combine that with the fact that this game may have an unfavorable setup.

The point is they don't want people trying to game the system to maximize their MMR and division standing(cherry picking games) they want the most optimal strategy to be play games and do your best to win every single one of them, only using dodging as a last resort.

Plausibly Sane

03-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selcopa View Post
I think the main problem with visible MMR is that you create a meta game in solo queue where you micromanage your MMR by paying the 3LP to dodge unfavorable matches when your MMR places you in a match where you aren't going to gain as much LP for the win as opposed to a different match, and combine that with the fact that this game may have an unfavorable setup.
So.... you can see who you're facing in ranked? pretty sure that's hacking selcopa. hey riot, i think you should ban that selcopa guy for hacking you. I'm pretty sure if it masks your opposition's names, divisions, and leagues. their MMR would go hand in hand with that.

And I'm not even stating your MMR would even be public. Make notice they don't even show you your partners wins until post game, and doesn't show you their divisions at all unless you manually check either.

Selcopa

03-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Stevo View Post
So.... you can see who you're facing in ranked? pretty sure that's hacking selcopa. hey riot, i think you should ban that selcopa guy for hacking you. I'm pretty sure if it masks your opposition's names, divisions, and leagues. their MMR would go hand in hand with that.

And I'm not even stating your MMR would even be public. Make notice they don't even show you your partners wins until post game, and doesn't show you their divisions at all unless you manually check either.
You don't really read what I say do you?

Having visible MMR would allow for you to see your teammates MMR(Lolking, lolteam).

From here you can cross reference your MMR compared to their MMR, because not all games award the same number of LP(because your relative MMR might be higher or lower for each game) you are able to see which matches are more 'valuable', as in, which games are going to give you more LP for wins(less for losses) and which matches are going to give you less LP for wins and hurt more for losses.

When you are able to extrapolate the points awarded based on the outcome of the game you now have a decision when you observe your team to not have as favorable of an advantage in champ select. For example, if you know the match is going to win you 25 LP but lose 15, you might be okay with an unconventional pick. But if the MMR has the game so you lose 25 LP and only game 10 LP, now you have a decision to make.

Instead of the optimal strategy playing your best every game and never dodging match(except only in the most severe cases), there becomes a game theory question on weighing the LP penalty for dodging compared to the perceived likelihood of a loss. While you may be willing to risk a match when the LP costs are in your favor. It might not be the case when you get a match that isn't as lucrative as others.

We don't want that, its bad for the game if people are trying to cherry pick matches, the #1 strategy should always be "Play your best, don't worry about the system" play to win. Anything that detracts from that concept(such as showing MMR) is bad.

Plausibly Sane

03-21-2013

So Selcopa.... you just completely ignored the thought of just having it visible to yourself eh? And/or only displaying it in post-game. LIKE I WAS JUST SAYING. NOT SEEING IT IN THE PREGAME LOBBY WOULD BE AN OBVIOUS THING.

Selcopa

03-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Stevo View Post
So Selcopa.... you just completely ignored the thought of just having it visible to yourself eh? And/or only displaying it in post-game. LIKE I WAS JUST SAYING. NOT SEEING IT IN THE PREGAME LOBBY WOULD BE AN OBVIOUS THING.
You are missing the mechanical aspect that if its visible to you, people can make it visible to everyone.

Im talking from a programming perspective tools can AND WILL be created to make it viewable to everyone

Plausibly Sane

03-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selcopa View Post
You are missing the mechanical aspect that if its visible to you, people can make it visible to everyone.

Im talking from a programming perspective tools can AND WILL be created to make it viewable to everyone
Selcopa, just because you messed up your privacy settings and everyone saw you in Steubenville, Ohio . Doesn't mean riot can't handle basic coding.