A simple fix to Akali! Really, just one small change.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SolluxAradia

03-11-2013

The counterplay options are right there in Pink Wards and Oracle's Elixir. When you drop any of those down in a gank, that shroud just becomes an aoe slow bubble.

Katsuni

03-11-2013

There's two issues that cause a champion to get looked at a lot:

1: Itemization changes made them very powerful recently.
2: Some pro player did some really crazy stuff with them in a major broadcast game.

Akali's not really a problem right now, and has eaten a large number of nerfs already, so it's not that. Right now, it's mostly an issue with people not knowing what to do about her shroud.

What caused this? Itemization changes, oddly enough.

In the past, your support would get a mixture of wards and the pink wards; 50 gold was all it cost to kill Akali; drop a pink ward instead of a regular one on top of her shroud, she's now dead.

The sightstone, however, now makes it disfavourable to bother buying wards at all for bad support players who think the sightstone is all they need. This means they're not willing to spend 125 on an Akali kill. Now, the champion seems stronger than she was, not because she's actually stronger, but because people aren't using the cheap, easy counter that's sitting right there any longer.

And there you go, Akali is now "OP", not because anything actually buffed her, but because the player base was actually trained to be more stupid than usual. Go figure.

IS14696195e1336cdef530a

03-11-2013

Make it a bit bigger then, so she got some place to fight in etc, atm its a bit small but the bonus stealth time makes up for it

Imo, increase it with 150 range or something, thats what a slow mo start akali can get during the bonus stealth but it will still nerf fast boot akali :3

IS149080d6605e20d28653a

03-11-2013

NOOOO don't break my akali !!!
You had broken zyra when i was playing her.
You broke evelynn by changing jungle, and now changing her ult lately into NOT-execution move ( which she is lacking).
And now that i play akali you want to break akali? NO ! GET AWAY from akali !
<Picks up a gun with angry grin>

ImmortalShade

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralPony View Post

If we agree her risk reward ratio is off instead of nerfing damage why not hit the other end of that equation and make the risk a bit higher instead of slashing her reward for well executed plays? As a designer and a player I would love to see counterplay options increased for Akali rather than simply slash her numbers to where she no longer feels impactful or rewarded for skilled play.

Akali is honestly crazy fun to play and a cool champion. I feel it is far better to decrease frustration of her opponents than make her less fun. As we revisit many of these champions I feel it's our duty as designers to improve and enhance their gameplay where we can even if its in small ways which why I love suggestions and discussion around a champions mechanics and not just straight damage values.

Agreed. Good summary
Feralpony,

One of the biggest strengths that league has with a good number of the skills in the game is that they visually communicate what the skill does and what the counter play could be. How about a change to the way the skill communicates with other players?

The skill itself would not change the numbers, the cast, the fade times, nothing. INSTEAD while in the shroud and leaving the shroud the smoke would swirl around her so you could have an idea of where she was in the cloud and where she was moving. this would let opponents know where she was and where she was going but still give her the defensive benefit of being un-targetable.

Opponents would thus be better able to stay away from the swirling stealthed akali and able to aim skill shots her way. On the defensive it lets people without pink wards be better able to have a counter ready, and on the offensive have an idea of where she is headed.

Akali players then have a new mechanic with which to wage some psychological warfare with like wukong players. Throw down the shroud and stand still, no swirl of movement. This lets players use the shroud in some fun ways, and opens up new gameplay patterns that i think both sides of the fight could make use of.

Thoughts?

Saikaici

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-11-2013

I do support a slight reduction of the time she's invisible after coming out of the shroud. Reducing that time in half would be nice just so my team can start after her a bit sooner, leaving a good bit less time for her to get away.

ChUmp3r

03-11-2013

Having a delay to go into her stealth is silly. She is running into a giant cloud of smoke, no matter how much damage someone does they shouldn't be able to delay the stealth, I do however agree with the as soon as she leaves the circle being visible. I get real tired of Akali getting to 10% hp and dashing 100 years across the lane to safety, all in that little time she stays stealthed after leaving shroud.

Caine9

03-11-2013

I have no disagree with you're core point that akali's invisible doesn't take skill. You have to place it such you leave multiple escapes to outplay you're opponent. If your problem is he running from stealth i feel you'll be still frustrated from shadow dashing away. Akali is very strong, and you never want her snowballed. CC owns her, characters like cho'gath are shut down beasts with all that CC and burst. Akali lacks cc and in composition and thus allows the other team to run more rampant.

Nothing is balanced I personally don't think you need to touch akali's shroud just try and outplay the oppponent, know were he is going to go.....

summary: To make your argument that her shroud takes no skill comes across like you just have trouble facing akali. If you were being objective i would like to see how iti s proven easier and by not trying with your stealth you can get away. I fail to see how twitch Q to get out of a gank is in anyway worse than akalis. I disagree.

Randomocity132

03-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metronomotopoeia View Post
It's phasing stealth with the side-effect of a defensive steroid if you do manage to guess correctly where she's at (or if you saved some AOE to fill the area with). Xypherous has been very critical lately of the "free stats" that have crept up on champions - especially those who are melee, and especially those who are expected to survive the top lane. This seems like a better place to hit and promote counterplay, and could have the appreciable side-effect of making Twilight Shroud not the invisible-stat, "Duel me here and you lose"-zone that it can act as today.
Totally agree. Trundle is the guy for zone-control, but he doesn't get stealth in it.

Loture

03-11-2013

PLEASE, if you DO NERF Akali's shroud so that she will not stealth immediately upon use, PLEASE extend the range of the shroud. Atleast enhance her ability to outsmart / juke her opponent with it if you don't want her to instant deaggro from any situation not involving a pink ward. (I do believe her damage, specifically her Q > R [trololol gunblade] > E > Q > R [Q > R > E] combo does need tuning)