When to buy Lichbane?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HeadHurtsAlot

03-10-2013

I have seen mixed thoughts on this. Some people say rushing it isn't a bad idea, some say that you should get some AP first before finishing it.

So is getting lichbane first a bad idea? If you need AP first, how much AP do you need before finishing it. Is it situational per champion?

Lethadind

03-10-2013

Depends on the champion whether you should even get it at all. Champions like Fizz it's a must have, because he has on-hit procs built into one of his abilities, but someone like Ahri is not really auto-attacking enough to make it viable on her. Someone like Lux - who doesn't have on-hit procs in her abilities - still needs it though, because she's auto-attacking to proc her passive. So you get the double effect of her passive WITH lich bane = tons...er...LOTS...of damage.

Honestly when I'm getting Lich Bane I usually start with Sheen, grab Rabadon's, and then finish Lich Bane. It depends on if you need the 1-on-1 damage more, or the AP for group/AoE damage more. For Fizz, grabbing Lich Bane before Deathcap allows you to do more damage to one champion, but his Shark and his E, which are both AoE nukes, suffer greatly until you can grab Deathcap. Play it by ear.

acosn

03-10-2013

If it isn't your first composite AP item (EG: you have something other than that sheen) it is, a good time to buy lichbane.

Gearing is pretty fluid though. There typically isn't any concrete threshold on when to buy items so much as a point at which it's too early or happening too late.

And with lichbane so long as you're not actually losing damage on the proc (I don't even know if that can happen anymore) from sheen compared to it, its a good time to buy.

Azellos

03-10-2013

The hard thing with lichbane is not that many games get to the place where lichs is really a solid investment.

For example you REALLY need to have some AP before you buy it. The math was done on Akali, a champ who many used to rush a lichs bane after gunblade (or rylais/x starting item), and apparently it was by far more effective to go gunblade>deathcap/lich bane for damage, or gunblade>rylai>deathcap>lichbane for a bit more health+the slow effect.

Javionne

03-11-2013

Usually, I try to get an AP item before Lich Bane, since the proc does 50 + 75% of current AP; the item itself doesn't provide much AP or extremely useful stats for its cost.

It's mainly useful on AP champs that have abilities with on-hit procs (like Fizz and Ezreal) and champs that autoattack in between abilities (like Lux and Evelynn). Other than that, it's kind of a weak AP item.

flduckhunter73

03-11-2013

Lich Bane is really better for champions that are true assassins, and as stated above better to get after some AP. Most mages aren't going to be auto attacking champions for long. If you are going to be diving and ADC and trying to unload everything you got on them in a 1-5 second window then thats when lich bane might be effective. I feel it slows down my combos though since it requires more careful thought on putting an AA in between abilities.

Lich bane fills the niche of giving non-sustained damage mages (like lux) who are cooldown reliant a way to damage in between cooldowns. Most of the time trying to use a lich bane proc gets me killed though.

I prefer to skip the lich bane and go for a death fire grasp in almost every situation. Sure it may have a cooldown, but the risk the items carry (range wise) is the same but if you hit a DFG on someone and then unlesh your combo chances are you have equalized the risk by making your burst A LOT more deadly.

To answer your question on when to buy lich bane? I think you buy it on the rare occasion that you are so far ahead you are already building late game items while the game is still in the stage of post laning chaos where fights are more of 2-4 person skirmishes rather than 10 person brawls.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-11-2013

Consider that Sheen costs 1260g and gives you about 950 gold worth of stats including mana that may or may not be all that useful.
Its proc therefore costs about 310g and adds around 50 to 100 damage.

The new lichbane is quite a bit improved considering. Costs 3000 gold. Provides 2700 gold worht of benefits, including useful Move speed, and a big chunk of AP.

Its minimum damage is 50+75% of 80 = 110. So you can't lose damage by taking it and you will likely gain a good chunk of damage even if you rushed it.

What I am saying is that lichbane is MUCH better than Sheen, in that you would NOT want to rush sheen and then sit on it for a long time till Lichbane.

It really depends on the champion. While a lichbane no longer costs you a lot of stats-worth, it does keep you possibly from building a Deathcap or a Liandries, both of which may or may not give much more improvement over the Lichbane.
You have to look at the lichbane damage proc onhit, then compare it to how much damage you do with your spells and see which one tends to give you more damage output.

HeadHurtsAlot

03-11-2013

Im sorry I should've been more clear on my first post. I know Lichbane isnt for every champion.
Im particularly talking about Fizz/Poppy. I usually get sheen as their first items but not sure when to finish Lichbane.

I have seen people getting lichebane first on these champs and do just extremely well and vice versa. I've also been criticized for getting this as my first item. So I was just a bit confused.

Azellos

03-11-2013

On Fizz/Poppy: First item no, maybe as a third/fourth item because of the synergy with their playstyles.

Think about this: Lichs gives your auto attacks an AP ratio. Buying a lichs bane at 100 AP costs the same as buying it at 400 AP, but your auto attacks will do significantly higher damage.