RFC (Request for Comments): Rammus Build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ad Astra per Asp

11-28-2009

My Thanks to anyone and everyone for kind review.

Items:
Chalice of Harmony (Pressuring, etc)
One of: Boots of Mobility (vs scrubs or hit and run strategem/tower snipe stragem), Ninja Tabi (vs melee teams: Trymander, Attack Damage Ashe or Sion and so on), Mercury's Treads (vs everyone and anti CC)
Frozen Heart
Sunfire Cape
Force of Nature
Slot open for Fortitude Elixir and placing wards

Order:
Meki Pendant
Regrowth Pendant
Basic Boots
+50 armor Mail
Chalice
Frozen Heart
Sunfire Cape
Force of Nature

Pro's
* Get to use abilities as soon as they're up pretty much all the time, early game harass and push with ball curl use up every time and taunt threat
* Enough HP, Armor, and Magic Resistance with Ball Curl to tank pretty much anything.
* Ball curl with Blue Golumn is like 10.8 sec reuse!
* With high regen in some battles you will actually be regenerating health as you tank
* Balance of Magic Resist and Armor makes you able to tank mages as well as fighters
* Early game taunts save lives, kill the not careful, and etc.
* Late game you are everywhere and the first in and even sometimes the last out.
* Tower sniping with a friend is fun since you don't have to wait for minions mid late game.
* they can't run away (Taunt when it's about up use powerball. Taunt again).
* Using your abilities all the time makes a MAJOR difference in gameplay.

Cons
* Slow to build, early game loses to push games by some. (Fiddlestacks I hage you).
* Use Ninja tabi for melee intensive games, merc treads if there's a ton of CC or if you can using boots of mobility + powerball makes you the most mobile char in the game. Add on ghost and see if you can beat a teleport, I bet you can Con is you can't have all three. Pick carefully.
* No 120 dps aura from 3 capes. But you can live through things better.
* No banshee veil's passive, you won't need it however.
* Aegis aura is not in effect :/

Skill Priority
Tremors > Taunt > Ball Curl > Powerball

First 5:
Ball Curl, Taunt, Taunt, Ball Curl, Taunt

Summoner Spells
Ghost (Great with rammus)
Cleanse or Ignite (Also great)

Thoughts for changes
* Maybe max CD reduction with last slot?
* Guardian angel for ultimate survivability and bait?
* Swiftness boots as an option?
* Thornmail for extra tanking dps or Warden's mail for extra they can't run and you can get away strategem?

ShootTheBoot

11-28-2009

You should almost always get mercury threads for your boots, there is just so much crowd control in this game that when reduced by 40% is a much smaller headache. I would only consider Ninja Tabi if they had 3+ physical damage champions and little to none crowd control, stuns/fears. You also don't say when you upgrade your boots, I like to get them early, because it helps a lot with chasing and escaping. The boots of mobility are a bad buy for Rammus, the speed bonus is scaled down when you're in a powerball reducing the bonus speed to just barely over speed 2 boots.

The first item I like getting Regrowth Pendant first, instead of the Meki for mana. It allows you to stay close to the minions to get the essential for getting last hits to boost your income, and I find I have enough mana to wisely harass and go for ganks when an opportunity arrises. Typically, I build a Philosopher's Stone as soon as I get enough gold and it gives me adequate regeneration and a nice gold boost, but getting a Chalice instead is alright if the team is very magic heavy.

For my third item I love picking up an Aegis, its good all around and gives your team a big boost in survivability in team battles. Frozen Heart is a very good item, and often its the next one I pick up but its always important to look at the other teams composition to see if you need more magic resist or HP instead. There are plenty of rumors of it being nerfed since it is too strong, so abuse it while its still good.

I am not a fan of the Sunfire Cape, you're paying 1000 gold for the aura, which in my opinion isn't worth it, instead I'd say pick up a Banshee's or Warmog's for some more HP and then Guardian Angel or Wardens if you need more armor.

Powerball is a great early level pick up, its good for escaping a gank and running down an enemy and is usually the first skill I pick up, with your guide the earliest you'd get it is level 7 which is far too late. You only need one point in it early, so you can continue to build up your other skills.

Edit: Summoner Spells

You have powerball so you don't need ghost, as I discussed earlier, as speed goes up the scaling of the bonuses goes down, so you're not getting the full boost from ghost if you're using it with powerball.

Cleanse is alright, but picking up mercury threads instead helps reduce negative effects to manageable times.

Instead I prefer picking up heal, having a lot of armor and magic resist makes the hit points it restores more valuable. Then for the second spell I like getting flash, just a good spell with so many uses, otherwise exhaust or fortify are decent choices.

FuzzeWuzze

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-28-2009

I agree with Shoottheboot except on Ghost and Cleanse...

Cleanse + Ghost and you can get out of pretty much any gank...
I have gotten away with 100hps so many times...it causes people to get greedy and tower dive and die...

ShootTheBoot

11-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze View Post
I agree with Shoottheboot except on Ghost and Cleanse...

Cleanse + Ghost and you can get out of pretty much any gank...
I have gotten away with 100hps so many times...it causes people to get greedy and tower dive and die...
Heal is great for baiting people into tower diving and flashing through a wall is a lot more reliable than trying to cleanse/ghost away.

Dahras

11-28-2009

I like the item set up but I really feel you need at least one level of powerball. It is such a multi purpose spell; even just one level will give you much more speed (especially with BoM).

RamboBatman

11-29-2009

My thoughts:

First, early skill build should be Ball, Curl, Taunt, Taunt, Taunt. Ball first for gank escaping/initiating. Curl next for more survivability, Taunt is obviously important to max out first but, without at least one level of Curl it loses a lot of its effectiveness.

Second, Aegis of the Legion. Its really good, its going to get nerfed but, for now its an auto-buy on Rammus. Armor, MR, Health, and a little damage for flavor. Every team should have one of these and the tank should be the one carrying it.

Third, boots. I tried a boots of mobility build recently thinking I'd get some insane powerball speed going on. Yeah, it was fast but it really wasn't much faster than regular PBall. ShootTheBoot said it and he's right, the name of the game is Merc. Treads. These boots are good on pretty much anyone. You're going to be stacking armor with your other items so picking up at least some MR is important. These combined with Aegis/DCurl should provide you with all you need.

Fourth, early items. I've found cloth armor and potions to be generally better than an early regen item. In the early game Rammus should be using his abilities sparingly, the dumber your opponent thinks you are, the greater chance they will do something stupid like come into range of your tower. You don't need mana regen and potions are almost always better than HP-regen items in the early game. From here I pick up a heart of gold. I used to stack these before they changed the sellback price but one, maybe two if you're rolling in money, is still a good investment. I don't like to buy these later than 12 minutes into a game. Many people like phil. stone instead and there are points in its favor but, I don't have mana problems with Rammus and I prefer HP and Armor to HP regen. After HoG its boots, then Aegis. These three items are relatively cheap and should round out the laning phase of the game pretty well. Having Aegis for your first team fight is invaluable.

Fifth, last, and possibly earning me some ridicule: smite. Rammus has early game farming issues against ranged and magic based opponents. You can easily find yourself pinned at your tower against opponents too intelligent to give you an easy tower-taunt kill. If this happens you're going to have even more trouble making money and simply won't be able to help your team. Smite, plus the improved Smite mastery, helps alleviate this problem. Taking the siege engine out of each enemy creep wave earns you much needed gold while helping your creeps push out of tower range, giving you a little room to manuever. Also, having a smite can really help if your team wants to grab dragon at lvl 1 or one of your teamates wants help picking up an early rune buff. Late game you're not going to be finding this spell super-useful (unless against Hiemer) but, once you've gotten to late game Rammus should be king. Say what you like about it but Smite has almost doubled my Rammus win-rate.

iPlastic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-02-2009

Powerball is the bread and butter for rammus, no idea how you can leave that to last. You basically do not gank whatsoever then i assume

Thormax

12-03-2009

Alright I can plain and simply describe my Rammus it might not seem like it works, but hell it works, and his item build is only 10-11k so probably one of the cheapest item builds.

Summoner spells I personally think should be Cleans and Ignite. I can't count the amount of times cleans has saved me. Powerball is the perfect escape so there is no need to get any other escapes, Time the cleans perfectly and Powerball for your life Odds are unless they perma-stun you you should make it out alive.

Start with power ball level 1 (helps just generally move around shouldn't be upgraded until it's the last thing you can upgrade). Then give to taunt and then give to his defense skill, you can either keep taunt with a 1 to 1 ratio with defense skill or keep taunt 1 lvl higher.. but taunt should always be leveled before defense IMO, Level Ulti every chance you get, and in the end just pump power ball since IMO all it's good for is it's speed, i don't even use it for damage, just to get close enough to stop and taunt them.

The item build is 3 hearts of gold, then mercury, then frozen heart (sick armor CD reduction, attack slow for when you taunt not to die) then go into guardian angel. Then when you have almost enough gold sell your first heart of gold for wardens, sell second for Thornmale, and if the game goes long enough sell the last one for Sunfire cape (personally for me it's the last even though it does give HP because it has the least utility IMO for what Rammus does which is take hit, deal damage by taking hits, deal damage with insane armor).

So basically my entire build is about armor it's not about HP, this makes sure i can't be abuse with spells that deal mass damage according to HP like other tanks, plus this also gives you a decent amount of magic resistance, give you the ability to run from Crowd control and with cleans you just roll your way out of what ever tries to kill you. This item build has worked very well for me, i usually get a bunch of kills with rammus because of this build and survive more then a lot of people have thrown at me.

Stonehenge

12-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thormax View Post
alright i can plain and simply describe my rammus it might not seem like it works, but hell it works, and his item build is only 10-11k so probably one of the cheapest item builds.

Start with power ball lvl 1, then give to taunt and then give to his defense skill, you can either keep taunt with a 1 to 1 ratio with defense skill or keep taunt 1 lvl higher.. but taunt should always be leveled before defense IMO, Level Ulti every chance you get, and in the end just pump power ball since IMO all it's good for is it's speed, i don't even use it for damage, just to get close enough to stop and taunt them the item build is 3 hearts of gold, then mercury, then frozen heart (sick armor CD reduction, attack slow for when you taunt not to die) then go into guardian angel. Then when you have almost enough gold sell your first heart of gold for wardens, sell second for thornmale, and if the game goes long enough sell the last one for sunfire cape (personally for me it's the last even though it does give HP because it has the least utility IMO for what rammus does which is take hit, deal damage by taking hits, deal damage with incasin armor) so basicly my entire build is about armor it's not about HP, this makes sure i can't be abuse with spells that deal mass damage according to HP like other tanks, plus this also gives you a decent amount of magic resistance, give you the ability to run from Croud controle and with cleans you just roll your way out of what ever tries to kill you. This item build has worked very well for me, i usually get a bunch of kills with rammus because of this build and survive more then a lot of people have thrown at me.
Spellcheck and paragraphs are your friends.

Thormax

12-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehenge View Post
Spellcheck and paragraphs are your friends.
wrote that in 5 minutes. I'll fix it now that i'm in class and have more time. Hope that helped, I might turn this into an actual guide when i go home.