[Guide] - The New Ryze, A Low AP Build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NUMBERSLOCK

01-12-2010

His build has a banshee's veil and HP focus. Veigar is dead when his burst fails to kill.
Veigar is strong against any caster hero. I don't think with his build, you would be at a big disadvantage vs Veigar.

Sure you eat a nice chunk of extra damage from his ult, but you also take a lot less from his stun bale/dm combo due to less AP being leeched.

To work out the difference in the Ult, you can only take into account the difference between an AP Ryze's max mana and a mana based Ryze. Then theres the fact that a mana based Ryze doesn't give Veigar as much AP.

Take Lichbane/Rod of Ages/Zhonyas/Voidstaff + Any boots vs his build. You would still end up around 2.6k mana vs around 3.7k. Thats only an extra 275dmg BEFORE taking into account magic resist. An AP Ryze would have about 300AP more than this build. So that gives Veigar 60AP bonus. Ult/Bale/DM have a +1 ap ratio I think?, thats an extra 180dmg from the combo before resists. So where does the OMFG VEIGAR WILL PWN ME come from?.

zastrozzi

01-12-2010

So, I've been playing around with this build for a few days, and it is pretty cool, I must say. However, even with the survivability items on there, I find that my HP value is a little bit on the low side for a constant-casting style of gameplay.

I tried my last game swapping out the Banshee's Veil for a leviathan, with quite a bit of success. For one, I find that the Veil is not very effective. Whenever I am in combat with a decent opponent, they hit me with an ability and then follow it up with CC to more or less render it useless. This gets worse in team battles where someone like Soraka will nom my shield with a 3 second cooldown starfall then silence me.

Two, the Leviathan costs less then the Catalyst, let alone the Veil, and will typically provide twice as much HP by mid game. If you get yourself a Leviathan, you can build up your Heart/Archangel's/void faster. Now, if you aren't confidant you can stay alive and keep your Leviathan stacked, you shouldn't get it, but remember that a team battle that you get 3 assists in is an extra 100 hitpoints.

I don't think that Warmogg's is a good fit for Ryze. I actually battled a Karthus that went for a Warmogg's as his second item after a Godess' tear, but I think that Ryze isn't good enough at farming to make good use of it. In this guide, you get Warmogg's as your sixth item, and by that time, there is no way to charge it up enough for it to be worth it's price. HP is difficult to stack on a caster early in the game, when it is most important.

OU Jangles

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2010

It was mentioned earlier that this build was not meant for a <30 level player, and that one should adjust acordingly if you don't have the runes or mastery points. However, can you give an example of what kind of adjustments to make? If the AP/burst build is no longer valid, and the cooldown reduction doesn't work for <30 level players, is Ryze not the champion to pick?

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

01-19-2010

Jangles, the build is optimized for a level 30 player, it certainly works at lower levels. I started around 19 playing with this build.

The biggest issue with a cooldown build under level 30 is...well...a lack of cooldown. You're missing on probably on 6% cooldown out of masteries and up to 6% more on your runes. The easiest way to adjust is to grab another cooldown reduction item or to just make sure you have golem every time you can.

Ternce

02-07-2010

Great guide. This is the only guide that I've read that has actually helped me. +1

kijik

02-07-2010

I approve of this guide, I've used the item build to great success, tank ryze is win.

tear
catalyst
boots
glacial
start upgrading beginning with frozen usually for me, then veil, then arch.

I've been picking up soulstealer before upgrading my base items in a lot of cases though since I do rather well, then my final item tends to either be void or zhonya's, dependant on how much MR they have stacked.

my big thing though, is that after I get a level of everything, my preference is actually DP>Overload>RP>SF spell flux is cool and all, but I get stacked mana REALLY quick with this build, so I spam overload a LOT, and flux tends to be unreliable in anything but a 1v1 situation to really put out damage, whereas overload is guaranteed, and with rune prison, a longer snare never hurts.

Gamendorf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-17-2010

Thanks for the guide. Last night I went 19-2-26 using this guide. The assists came from a team-mate that played a really mean Master Yi. We just ran around the map as a two man gank squad. I am currently only t lvl 9, so i have'nt started using your runes yet. I can only imagine how much better it gets once you get all the cooldowns in place. Just getting Frozen Heart makes a world of difference.

What's your opinion on the second row of the Utility Tree? I think that at later lvls the mana regen will be better, but right now i seem to d better getting more hero XP. Does that change once I level up my summoner some more?

Atonement

02-19-2010

Your build is good, tank ryze with cd reduction does eat people..

I gave it a shot vs my build is a few games switching each time.

Roa
Sorc boots
shroud
Banshees
zhonyas if it lasts.
(mejais early if im eating people) average score for 3 games 19-2-15

with your build Average score 12-4-25

Its more of a team assist build imo, not as much as kill primary.

I did enjoy it, well thought out. But I do enjoy mine a litle bit more. Multiple instances off 4v1 and I at least take out 2 if not all of them when they cluster. But with yours ive had multiple instances of 4-5v1 and i get 1 and walk out alive. so its a situational I suppose. Definately Saving the build and plan on using a bit more. But currently not my play style

Tholok

03-04-2010

Hello,

I'm trying out Ryze now. I'm level 26 and following this guide. I have two questions:
* I now have flat HP quints, mana regen glyphs, dodge seals and armour pen marks. I do not have enough IP to change all of my runes right away. What runes should I focus on getting first? CD reduction or magic pen?
*Why do you get catalyst after tear? Catalyst gives hp and mana each time you level. If you get it after lvl 8 or so you gain much less hp/mana from its unique trait...

Thanks,
Tholok

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

03-05-2010

Focus on the cooldown reduction runes as they offer the most skill value.

I'm not unwavering on tear, if you like or play better getting catalyst first, it's equally a good choice. The reason I take tear over catalyst is because it allows you start building Tear's passive for additional mana. This makes your Overload stronger without increasing the mana cost since it's mostly ignored at the start of my build.

Early on, you're going to be pretty squishy anyway. I prefer to do a little more damage for those early ganks rather than try to go for an early catalyst, but it's mostly about individual play style.