[Guide] - The New Ryze, A Low AP Build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LegOfLamb

12-22-2009

As a kass player, this build is my wet dream.

Mzum

12-22-2009

@Telandra: I suggest you do some testing in game with strength of spirit. It does give very significant buffs to health regeneration.

At level 1, with no runes, and no other abilities, Ryze with a Sapphire Crystal (+200 mana) has 12 HP5 (as opposed to 4). Don't assume I'm wrong. Try things out next time.

My mastery suggestions are designed for an early game, not a late game. clarity gives you staying power and ignite gives you burst. Play style difference.

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

12-22-2009

I can see Ignite being helpful. There are some situations especially early game where an enemy hero has gotten away with almost no hp because no other skills were available. Personally, I think something like Flash is a little more versatile at putting you within range of a fleeing hero while also being useful for escaping, but that's entirely up to play style.

As for clarity, I generally don't run out of mana late game, so I'm not sure there's as much value there as with Ignite, but if it works for you that's all that really matters.

Also, just a bit of a clarification on Strength of Spirit. At max level it does .3% of your maximum mana as health regen.

Excepting runes, with a Sapphire Crystal, Ryze would have 505 mana starting which comes out to: 505*.003 = 1.515 hp/1 sec or 7.575 hp/5 sec for standard regen.

With a 4,000 mana pool, it would be: 4,000*.003 = 12 hp/1 sec or 60hp/5 sec for standard regen.

Hope that helps.

Telandra

12-23-2009

Ah, did the calculations wrong because the person who posted had it listed as .03%, but it is infact .3% in which case my 6hp5 x 10 = 60hp5.

Honestly early game, even though 7.575hp/5 is Actually pretty nice, I find myself running back because i'm oom more than because i'm low on health.

Noteworthy indeed. But I feel the 3% cd reduc and 15% magic resist pen is more worthwhile

And while you may be trying to make early game better for this build. I think it's just a better idea to plan for late game, playing it safe and with your head low early game, just trying to farm creeps without dying, but obviously not letting go easy hero kills.

Disillusion

12-25-2009

Low AP, high mana. What do you do when you run into Veigar?

Run like hell?

Shatterlight

12-25-2009

It then becomes nuker versus nuker, now doesn't it? Except, Veigar also has a stun. :P

Zenryo

12-25-2009

Great guide, tried this a few times, but I'm not entirely convinced by the order in which you get the items...

Tears is a given (more mana as fast as possible = good); then mercury threads. So far so good. However then you say to start on catalyst and complete Archangel and then banshee.
These are both very expensive items, and take some time to build. Also with the mercury threads, you have a decent amount of magic resist for the early to mid game. I would rather start building at least glacial shroud, and then depending on the opposing team, choose to either complete Archangels or Frozen Heart, or start building banshees. If I feel I'm surviving relatively good, I might just skip banshee, finish Archangel and then Void 'me love you long time' staff.

Glacial Shroud is relatively cheap and gives an awesome boost to cooldown reduction, which earlier in the game can be devastating.

Dunno if there are other people who would agree with me on this... Then again, each game really depends on how the opposing team is formed (melee/caster/disable/... heavy) and item orders have to be seen as general guidelines ofcourse.

Apart from the order, I'd say this guide is spot on.

Kendouy

12-26-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenryo View Post
Great guide, tried this a few times, but I'm not entirely convinced by the order in which you get the items...

Tears is a given (more mana as fast as possible = good); then mercury threads. So far so good. However then you say to start on catalyst and complete Archangel and then banshee.
These are both very expensive items, and take some time to build. Also with the mercury threads, you have a decent amount of magic resist for the early to mid game. I would rather start building at least glacial shroud, and then depending on the opposing team, choose to either complete Archangels or Frozen Heart, or start building banshees. If I feel I'm surviving relatively good, I might just skip banshee, finish Archangel and then Void 'me love you long time' staff.

Glacial Shroud is relatively cheap and gives an awesome boost to cooldown reduction, which earlier in the game can be devastating.

Dunno if there are other people who would agree with me on this... Then again, each game really depends on how the opposing team is formed (melee/caster/disable/... heavy) and item orders have to be seen as general guidelines ofcourse.

Apart from the order, I'd say this guide is spot on.
Completely agree on that, getting lower CD early on is golden.

JohnGreymore

12-27-2009

Thank you for the guide! I've been playing ryze for the past 20 games or so and I've won 2/3 of them! It is, as you say, extremely viable late game, even while I'm building up my rune book as we speak!

As I look upon your rune build, I noticed that the numbers were a wee bit off, perhaps of the recent rune changes and stuff like that. Greater Glyphs of Knowledge (Scaling mana, 30.06 at 18) is actually Scaling mana, 25.56 at 18 at this instant. Therefore you have a total of 127.8 mana. This is offset by...

Greater Mark of Knowledge (Scaling mana, 16.56 at 18), which is now 21.06 at 18. This gives you a total of 189.54 mana.

If we add up the numbers, we get a total of 189.54+127.8=317.34 mana, as compared to the previous 150.3 + 149.04=299.34 mana.

Now that we take into account that we get less mana from the glyphs, I propose that the extra 0.06% cd would be actually beneficial!

Let us remove the Greater Quint of Celerity (Scaling cooldown, 2.34% at 18) and replace it with an extra Greater Quint of Knowledge (Scaling mana, 75.06 at 18) and we now get 225.18 mana at 18.

Now, we replace 3 Greater Glyphs of Knowledge (Scaling mana, 25.56 at 18) with 3 Greater Glyphs of Celerity (Scaling cooldown, .9% at 18)

At the end of all of this changes, you will lose 76.68 mana from the glyphs but gain 75.06 mana from the Quint! A loss of only 1.62 mana AND you gain an extra 0.36% cd for a total of 6.3% cd! It's everything to gain and a wee bit to lose! ALTERNATIVELY you could replace it with 2 Greater Glyphs of Celerity and 1 Greater Glyph of Focus (Flat 0.65% cd) to get a total of 6.05% cd with a minor cd bonus early game!

I hope the maths was fine. You might want to double check it just in case. Hope you'll consider the suggestion and thanks again!

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

12-28-2009

Practically, these changes would end up saving about a tenth of a second until you got your Frozen Heart, but I'll be ****ed if that isn't the most efficent tenth of a second I've seen so far.

Nice job on the math, change is reflected in the guide.

Fortunately however, I don't think you proved that extra cooldown is > mana lost in the original scenario so I will not be pretending to eat my hat.