[Guide] - The New Ryze, A Low AP Build

12345612 ... 14
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

noodl3s

12-04-2009

I've been playing using this build all morning. It takes some getting used to, but the lack of AP hasn't stunted me much.

The massive mana pool still causes Overload to hit like a truck, and his new ultimate having such a low cd is amazing. Sometimes I just use it on giant groups of minions and make like 300 gold in one second.

Anyway, awesome guide. Helped me find a direction for the new Ryze a lot. Last game I was getting cries of OP from the heavens! :P

Meister

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2009

Seems like Veigar would be your worst nightmare. Banshee's veil goes a little way to remedy this, but before Warmog's I think Veigar could still 2 shot this build (eating up banshee's with Event Horizon)

EchoRex

12-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister View Post
Seems like Veigar would be your worst nightmare. Banshee's veil goes a little way to remedy this, but before Warmog's I think Veigar could still 2 shot this build (eating up banshee's with Event Horizon)
Its about four maybe five shots, due to just how much HP and magic resist this build has, Veigar is pretty much the only single champion to worry a Ryze built this way.

Arghanos

12-06-2009

Ummm -

This is a FANTASTIC build. Comments:

1) It does take a bit of time to get used to. First because Ryze works completely different, and two because we are not used to him having so much survivability. Also, you need to get used to spamming skills just for the sake of reducing cooldowns (when I want to kills creeps fast in groups, I will stun one with W just to make E and Q come up faster.... etc. psychological learning curve...)

2) As mentioned, cooldown reduction is ESSENTIAL to this Ryze. With high CR, you can essentially tap Q,W,E,R, in practically any order, over and over (very slight exaggeration). Enemies melt away.

3) Fully built with a Guardian angel at the end, this Ryze has around 3.5-3.7K health with 250ish armor and 170ish magic resist. He can stun over and over due to the CR and the CR passive, and keep bouncing AoE damage all over the place.

4) He can MELT creeps if his R is up. If you find a huge group, pick a creep in the middle, hit R, then E them, then R one of them... by then E will be back up.... repeat. 100-400 gold in seconds. In fact, this is great to build the Warmogs up VERY quickly.

5) For the first time with a mage, I (a) don't care about AP and (b) don't even care what damage the spells actually do. While his burst output is much lower than possible in this build compared to others or other mages (of course offset by many of the mana items!), you are ALWAYS casting all of your spells over and over and over (with a stun in there!!!). Plus, you take a ****load to be killed.

Again, great build.

-- I should note - I skipped the void staff for Warmogs--- and made my last Item Guardian Angel---

1) Banshee's Veil
2) Mercury's Treads
3) Frozen Heart
4) Warmog's Armor
5) Archangel's Staff
6) Guardian Angel

ZGBudai

12-06-2009

Great guide.

Organized and Informative. I don't have much to say except that if you are constantly using mana all the time, shouldn't a chalice be key in your build?

Dulhyra

12-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGBudai View Post
Great guide.

Organized and Informative. I don't have much to say except that if you are constantly using mana all the time, shouldn't a chalice be key in your build?

I've been using this build for my last 20 or so games. And the reason behind Tear over Chalice would be Tear contributes to increasing Overload damage.

Meta

12-07-2009

This build works really well. I had been doing a similar build, except I went straight Tear - Boots - Glacial Shroud. However, my downfall with this spec was being the victim of focus fire mid-game, which would often be a pretty big speed-bump in getting to my late-game.

Banshee veil helped a lot with this. I've tried this spec twice now, and won both games, first going 7/0/8 and second going 7/2/17.

For my summoner spells, I really like Ghost/Teleport. Teleport is great because Ryze often has to go back to base. He's not safe hanging out at under half heath, and he runs out of mana quickly early-game, so having the quick return will help keep you from falling behind in levels.

I choose Ghost because I feel it pays off the most both offensively and defensively. With Merc treads and Banshee Veil, I find I can escape most team-fights pretty reliably if I find myself becoming the focus target. This makes the other team choose between trying to pursue, or letting me go, which is always a plus.

Additionally, Ghost allows me to catch up to runners with a prison, which is great when you're in the scenario of one team chasing down another.

I do my skill build a little bit differently. I choose to start out with one point in Flux, then prioritize Overload then Prison. The logic behind this is that I like keeping Flux cheap early, as I strictly use it for last-hitting creeps and applying the magic resistance debuff (which doesn't scale with rank). Overload hits REALLY hard if you keep it maxed out, and prison is priceless as soon as the team fights begin.

Patyrn

12-07-2009

I've been playing him much more as a burst DPS caster, but your method intrigues me and I will try it next time I play. I will probably end up replacing something you suggest with a deathfire staff however. Love me some deathfire.

Bane Elemental

12-07-2009

mm well really with the new ryze all you need to stomp the average pub. c
catalist. - turning into RoA.
boots.
archangel's staff.
sage ring.
sage ring.
sage ring.

basically thats enough burst dmg to take any squish person down with a well placed combo.
tried the -cd reduction. didn't find it very effective. his passive + if you take the time to get blue rune....

basically everythings always off cd.

with that build you'll get around 4k+ mana at the 35minish mark if you're playing correctly and get the AAstaff.

granted more then likely wont work vs people that know how to focus fire. but ascide from someone with 5k life or trynda. everyone dies to focus fire...

Edit: also. note. if i was playing in a "scrim" most def would get a bit more life.

Meta

12-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane Elemental View Post
mm well really with the new ryze all you need to stomp the average pub. c
catalist. - turning into RoA.
boots.
archangel's staff.
sage ring.
sage ring.
sage ring.

basically thats enough burst dmg to take any squish person down with a well placed combo.
tried the -cd reduction. didn't find it very effective. his passive + if you take the time to get blue rune....

basically everythings always off cd.

with that build you'll get around 4k+ mana at the 35minish mark if you're playing correctly and get the AAstaff.

granted more then likely wont work vs people that know how to focus fire. but ascide from someone with 5k life or trynda. everyone dies to focus fire...

Edit: also. note. if i was playing in a "scrim" most def would get a bit more life.
I find that no matter what build you go with Ryze now, if the enemy is smart enough to stack just a little defense (Health, Resist, etc), then you're not going to insta-gib anyone anymore.

This isn't the old bursty Ryze we had before, but what we have instead is MUCH more powerful if used properly.

Here's why cooldown reduction is good:

At max rank, Overload has a 7-second cooldown. Assuming you can squeeze in a Flux and a Prison in between, that'll make it a 5-second cooldown. Good, but not quite spammable.

With 40% cooldown reduction, which is very easy to achieve, the base cooldown on Overload is 4.2 seconds, bringing it down to 2.2 seconds with Prison/Flux + passive.

This means you're effectively casting your primary nuke more than twice as often as you would otherwise. Not only that, every time you're casting these, your ult decreases in cooldown.

With 40% cooldown reduction, Ryze ult is a mere 24 seconds. With chain nukes, you could realisitcally cut that in half.

Best of all, 40% cooldown reduction is CAKE to get. Using both Masteries and 7 blue Cooldown-Reduction Scaling runes, all you need is a Frozen Heart, which compliments the only other 2 areas you need to worry about with Ryze: Mana pool and Survivability.

12345612 ... 14