[Guide] - The New Ryze, A Low AP Build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Retroromanic

01-26-2011

necromatosis.

feiniel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-26-2011

i'm so confused about the timestamp of the first post...

Kitethrower

03-01-2011

masteries: 9-0-21
runes: magic pen/mana regen yellows
spells: ghost/flash
items:
sorcerer's shoes
tear
banshee's veil
frozen heart
abyssal scepter
void staff
and then tear>archangel as last...
it is working atm. Btw ty for the skill lvl up rotation, it helped me pretty much

NickPham

03-01-2011

Made some fixes to the above post. The main changes is that I recommend skipping arcane mastery in favor of SoS for obvious synergy because the Ryze has so much FLAT penetration, which applies before %. On most targets, you will not get much extra penetration with that 15%. Void is only needed for extreme situations, but Haunting+Abyssal+Sorc+Flux will handle you pretty well into the end game.

masteries: 0-7-23
runes: magic pen/mana regen yellows, 6x CDR 3x flat mana blues, flat mana/magic pen quints
spells: ghost/flash
items:
sorcerer's shoes
tear
banshee's veil
frozen heart
abyssal scepter and/or haunting guise
tear>archangel
situational sustainability items:
Thornmail>Damage return very valuable
Rylais>Slow + More health for your already nice resists
Will of the Ancients>Spell Vamp is an almost ideal endgame stat and it has a nice team aura

SonicTheHedgedawg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-01-2011

this thread is outdated.... why was it bumped?

GreenLantern715

03-01-2011

Personally Ryze is one of my favs, and i use him quite constantly... overall just ap guys in general. i can see the skill build, but depending where you are, and who you're up against. If you have a good teammate laning with you, you might want to go the Rune Prision first, like say if you had Garen on your team... Rune Prision then he spins, just saying. Even though the new ryze is mostly mana now, i don't branch from still going ap. i go like tear of godess, sorc boots, mejai rod of ages, void staff, and abyssal sceptar. or deathcap depending. so really it doesn't change.

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

11-22-2011

Updated for .129

MCsq2

11-27-2011

You didn't mention Ignite - is this a good Summoner spell for Ryze?

I use this on nearly all AP champs to score a kill after using all my abilities, when the opponent is on very low health.

Redenbacher

11-27-2011

Ryze doesn't need ignite to finish people off because of Q's respectable damage on a very short cooldown. Typically, your combo will open with Q, and finish them off with Q.

I prefer Flash + Ghost on Ryze, since his one major weakness is a complete lack of mobility.

MorikTheMad

02-23-2012

Comments:

- I don't like your mastery setup. 12/15/3 is not really all that great. Havoc's 1.5% damage is pitiful. At full offensive build (500 dmg on Q & W, 250 dmg on each E bounce), it adds about 30 pre-penetration damage to a Q-W-Q-E-Q combo. The 10% penetration is merely ok in offense, given the amount of flat penetration you can get. And 4% CDR from 4 mastery points isn't that great. I find 0/21/9 is much better. You get 5% movespeed, you get a good HP boost, and you boost your blue buff duration. You give up 4% flat CDR, summoner's wrath (which doesn't do much for you anyway, unless you run ghost, which I don't), and 10% penetration. I think its worth it.

- I don't like flat mana runes. They give you some extra damage early, which is great, but if you go movespeed quints, flat MR blues, and hp/lvl or armor yellows, you end up pretty tanky, for a similar effect: you can trade well in early lvls with most champs. (Increased damage lets you trade well in one way, while increased tankyness lets you also trade well.)

But there is another advantage: against champs you still wouldn't be able to trade well against, you are still tanky. So you can survive better. Those runes will also serve you better throughout the game.

Boots: I disagree that sorc shoes diminish into late game. You get 8.55 pen from red runes, 24 MR reduction from your E, you can get another 20 from boots, and another 20 from abyssal scepter, for 73 or so total. Most champs that you want to kill very quickly will have 70-100 MR. So... yeah, thats pretty good penetration .

I only get merc treads against super disably teams. The abyssal scepter gives more MR anyway, and along with sorc shoes, gives better MPen than merc treads + void staff vs most squishies. (If someone just has a bveil, penetrating 73 is better than penetrating 8.55 + 46% (void staff + your 10% mastery, which stack multiplicatively).

I also wouldn't build your archangel's staff right away--save that for last for 2 reasons:
- the 1800 gold gets you maybe 160 AP (depending on if you get a RoA), 50 mana, and some mana regen. Not bad, but there are other things that are more important than that AP. And if you finish it early, you won't even get all that AP, as you aren't done collecting mana yet from level ups and items.
- Tear charges up to twice in 6 seconds when you use abilities. AA charges once every 3 seconds. Meaning if you cast Q-W at someone, then run, AA charges once, tear charges twice. If you wait to build AA until tear is done charging, it is better, because tear will tend to charge faster.

I find the following is a reasonable item build in most circumstances:
tear -> t1 boots -> catalyst -> glacial -> t2 boots -> FH or bveil -> the other one of FH or bveil -> wota -> abyssal -> upgrade to AA

Replace wota with GA if you want.