[Guide] - The New Ryze, A Low AP Build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

VIVr

08-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebonclaw View Post
Oh really? Has anything about Ryze changed in the last..... 5-6 patches, even? Other than losing any base Crit and base Dodge? :P
He just got nerfed about jillion times. Other than that... nope.

RedSatyr

08-05-2010

Bunch of nerfs? That's quite a change don't ya think? Lol. Thank you VIVr.

EggyLv999

12-29-2010

What should I get as a cd-reducing item if I'm below (summoner) level 30?

LOLjor

12-30-2010

Thank you so much for the guide, Aregionius!

ForeverLaxx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-30-2010

There are way too many necro posters on this board.

Redenbacher

12-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggyLv999 View Post
What should I get as a cd-reducing item if I'm below (summoner) level 30?
Glacial Shroud, which can later be upgraded to Frozen Heart, if need be.

EDIT: In all seriousness, how effective is a "Mana Tank" Ryze build?

For example, I am considering starting out with Tear, and then building Rod of Ages, followed by Glacial Shroud and Banshee's Veil, then finish the Archangel's Staff.

Based on that, you'll have 3140 mana, and nearly 3k HP (with just Tear, BV, Shroud, and RoA - an 8400g build before boots). If you cast your Overload first (a 546 damage nuke, thanks to your mana pool), it will be refreshed by the time you finish your combo, your snare will be on about a 5-6 second cooldown, and Flux will have about 3 seconds.

I've never played Ryze before, but looking at his skill set and seeing his range/weaknesses, it would seem that building him beefy is necessary to play him effectively.

EasymodeX

12-30-2010

Quote:
There are way too many necro posters on this board.
^
zzzzz.

Quote:
EDIT: In all seriousness, how effective is a "Mana Tank" Ryze build?
It's the best build out there. But, don't get a Tear. The AA Staff is entertaining for a glass cannon gimmick, but against good opponents it will only delay your build.

Catalyst -> RoA
Glacial Shroud
Catalyst -> BV
Rylai/Zhonya
Frozen Heart

Moderate AP, heavy CDR (don't forget to use blue elixirs throughout the game), high mana, solid armor/MR, high HP. QERWQE pew pew pew.

Also, the mastery set in the OP is out-dated. 0/9/21 is superior, and 0/19/11, or 0/15/15 are also good.

Redenbacher

12-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasymodeX View Post
^
zzzzz.

It's the best build out there. But, don't get a Tear. The AA Staff is entertaining for a glass cannon gimmick, but against good opponents it will only delay your build.

Catalyst -> RoA
Glacial Shroud
Catalyst -> BV
Rylai/Zhonya
Frozen Heart

Moderate AP, heavy CDR (don't forget to use blue elixirs throughout the game), high mana, solid armor/MR, high HP. QERWQE pew pew pew.

Also, the mastery set in the OP is out-dated. 0/9/21 is superior, and 0/19/11, or 0/15/15 are also good.
I was questioning the tear, thanks for the input. I haven't played Ryze before, but had a friend that did - he always built a glass-cannon AP *****, and would just get steamrolled in teamfights if the conditions weren't absolutely perfect. I love playing Swain tanky, and I've been eyeballing Ryze lately - I wanted something where positioning/timing was less important, and snaring/blowing up the enemy carry was my goal.

Hellsfang

01-26-2011

well if u are tryin to build him more defensively and still have ap u should consider zhonyas hourglass. thats jus IMO.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-26-2011

Why frozen heart? Ryze gets 10% Cooldown reduction from his passive Overload. Granted, he gets 2% of that for most of the game till he hits 15+ and starts finishing up overload.

With CDR runes and 9-0-21 thats 15% CDR. With 10% possible endgame, you only need 15% to max out CDR.

Hence, I would think a Spirit Visage would be a good way to go. Magic resistance for 'tankiness', Health, and CDR.

My thought being that magic resist is better midgame, then get a thornmail or guardian angel or something to boost armor lategame.