Need help against ap yi

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JustKill37

03-09-2013

Hello guys,
First of all dont tell me get magic resist or get cc because noone has enough money to get good amount of magic resist at lvl1. And I am only lvl 6 so I dont even have runes. Also he is impossible to lane against. No matter how far u are he gets u with alpha strike and some dont even push there lanes to make u farmless. You go ahead to take a minion and he will get u to 1/4th health. You stay at tower he will q a minion and get u too.Also u attack or burst him he will just w at his tower. Sometimes he even kills me at my tower then w's there and then gets some health and leaves. I dont even have ignite now. So what should I do? I have been against ap yi like 3 times out of 7 games i played. Please help me.

Devious Rogue

03-09-2013

Get Annie, lane with cloth 5 pots or just pots, nothing else. Farm like mad until late game, using pots to stay at a decent level of health. Wait until late game: Yi becomes a one trick pony who does some AOE damage to everyone then does nothing, you become a crazy, scary burst mage who can AOE Stun, AOE Burst, and actually take someone down in one combo, then after a few seconds, be ready to dish out more damage.

Or any champ with late-game potential really, following the same strategy.

Aliasear

03-09-2013

What I recommend to start off is playing the right champion, which is hard to do. If that is not possible, the next best thing to do is run Teleport. Then after that, have jungle gank pre-6 multiple times. If you don't get the jungle ganks, farm Wraiths and hope the other lanes perform well.

The thing with AP Master Yi is that there is very small windows of opportunity to kill him and they do not appear often. So when a really pro AP Master Yi shows up, he becomes "unkillable" unless your team pulls a 3-man dive on him and 100% him.

GoombaStompin

Recruiter

03-09-2013

Relax =) No champ is unbeatable in lane. I will give you some tips I've found very helpful vs AP Yi.

1). Alpha strike will ALWAYS hit you if you only have 3 minions near by. It hits 4 targets, so even if you run from your minions, if there are only 3 left when he casts it, it will bounce to you with insane range.

2) Alpha strike has a brutally long cd at early levels. 18/16/14

3) Without his alpha strike up, all he is is a melee champ.

Most Yi's will rush forward and start wacking minnions in an attempt to kill the 3 melees so that he can alpha the ranged minnions scoring damage on you for free. Most newer players are too afraid of the alpha strike to push back against him. When you have a full wave of minions make sure there are always 4 minions between you and Yi. Harass him HARD during this time. Start with something like Flask + 3 HP Potions. Consider that its hard for him as a melee champ to push your lane if you are pushing it just as hard back at him. Attack his minion wave hard while being cautious of ganks.

Its ok to take damage from alpha strike. After Yi hits you with an alpha strike MAN UP. He is just a melee champ for the next 18/16 seconds. Bully him hard during this time. Think about it, 16 seconds is a long time to be top dog. Most newer players don't understand how the alpha strike works with minions, and even if they do, after they get hit they wince at the damage and for some reason stay so far away from Yi when all he has access to after the cool down is his auto attack.

Saving a stun to stop his healing is also crucial if you hope to kill him in lane. And don't worry, you'll have ignite and tier 3 flat MR blue glyphs before you know it. =D

RQDoga

03-10-2013

Another tip, run champs with high burst and at least one CC skill. Save it for when they try to meditate and watch them flee as fast as possible. Your ace in the hole is to make them pay more severely for the damage the inflict. Btw, annie works wonders against yi, stunning q + w + r + e makes them run as fast as possible. (E is if they try and commit to the fight afterwards)

Duffman316

03-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKill37 View Post
Hello guys,
First of all dont tell me get magic resist or get cc because noone has enough money to get good amount of magic resist at lvl1. And I am only lvl 6 so I dont even have runes. Also he is impossible to lane against. No matter how far u are he gets u with alpha strike and some dont even push there lanes to make u farmless. You go ahead to take a minion and he will get u to 1/4th health. You stay at tower he will q a minion and get u too.Also u attack or burst him he will just w at his tower. Sometimes he even kills me at my tower then w's there and then gets some health and leaves. I dont even have ignite now. So what should I do? I have been against ap yi like 3 times out of 7 games i played. Please help me.
it sounds like you don't know yi's kit because most of what you just said is simply wrong

JustKill37

03-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman316 View Post
it sounds like you don't know yi's kit because most of what you just said is simply wrong
Yes that is true. I am new to the game so I havent played all champions yet.

JustKill37

03-10-2013

And yes can someone post me some good tips on Annie because I really like that champion.
And thanks a lot to all the players that helped me.

Duffman316

03-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKill37 View Post
Yes that is true. I am new to the game so I havent played all champions yet.
best way to learn him is to play him yourself, identify the limitations then capitalize on it when you face him

if you want a cheap dirty way to deal with him, use fiddlesticks

alpha strike does not break the drain tether

fiddle can win that lane with just 1 button

PeanutSoup

03-11-2013

Fiddle is a great counter.

I always used to struggle against AP Yi (I main ziggs). You have to take advantage of his long cooldown of alpha strike and be super aggressive in poking. The WORST thing you can do is be passive and scared and let him farm/control the lane, because once that happens it will be near impossible to comeback and you'll be stuck with a fed/farmed Yi moving into mid/late game. Call for ganks from your jungler if you are having trouble. Also, consider going sustain such as 9 pots 2 wards.