Elo Hell Does Exist

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iShalako

03-09-2013

On my main account I have about 120-150 ranked games in S3, I can't remember the exact number at the moment. I was silver in S2 and don't pretend to be an amazing player or anything.

I went on a streak of 8/10 games with an afker at one point. Overall in my last 50 I've had about 15 games with an afker, which doesn't count trolls of various sorts. In those 50 games I have only once had someone afk on the other team. One of the 4v5s we actually won but it's tough. For the record I've never afk'd or quit early in a ranked game.

I had a streak of good teammates recently but I noticed that I wasn't getting as much LP as I used to for my wins. One consequence of the current MMR system is that, if you are one of the people with that streak of bad luck early in your ranked gaming, it will make it harder for you to get out because now the system has classified you. If you get multiple afkers in your placement matches (as I did) then proceed soon after to have the bad luck to get a significantly higher-than-normal ratio of afkers on your teams as compared to on the other team, getting that later streak of better fortune that 'balances things out' doesn't mean as much due to how MMR works. It then becomes much harder to climb away from the lower tiers where (I believe) afks tend to happen more.

I do believe that, of course, statistically the more games played = the more that statistical anomalies will flatten out. But think of the time investment some people are tossing out in terms of the number of games required to achieve that statistical smoothing.. it's quite a lot isn't it. For me it's about a full year's playing time and that's not even counting playing some casual normals with friends and so on. I often wonder how different things might have been if the afker ratios hadn't been so skewed early on. I will say that I'm even more annoyed at Riot for not being more proactive/creative about having some better solution to the afk-in-ranked issue, than I am about being a negative outlier on the matter.

CarePoliceLoL

03-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by EloSatan View Post
.000018% is still a chance
I think you are missing one point

bad luck =/= elo hell

Sure there might be someone who gets AFKer/troll/feeder in every single game. (not his fault)

But there can also be someone who loses his internet connection every single game and thus loses game. (not his fault) possible? Possible

or someone who loses every single game due to power cut in his town. (not his fault) also possible.

So actually you are not proving that elo hell exists. You are proving that people can lose games because they are unlucky or they can lose many, many games if they are extremly unlucky and not because it was their fault.

That is true for every game not only LoL.

EloSatan

03-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarePoliceLoL View Post
I think you are missing one point

bad luck =/= elo hell

Sure there might be someone who gets AFKer/troll/feeder in every single game. (not his fault)

But there can also be someone who loses his internet connection every single game and thus loses game. (not his fault) possible? Possible

or someone who loses every single game due to power cut in his town. (not his fault) also possible.

So actually you are not proving that elo hell exists. You are proving that people can lose games because they are unlucky or they can lose many, many games if they are extremly unlucky and not because it was their fault.

That is true for every game not only LoL.
I call it Elo-Hell.

Others feel the same.

You obviously do not.

OK

Dewtrocity

03-09-2013

Can you link your main account?

zlefin

03-09-2013

you're just trolling at this point; if you want to understand, go take a college statistics course; or take a close look at some sports stats or something. And stop trying to redefine the word to make yourself right; elo hell has an established meaning; trying to warp the meaning to something it's not is just fallacious reasoning.

EloSatan

03-10-2013

Uhm, no.

Gold and up who complain about their being in ELO HELL are just them complaining about getting bad teammates a few games and losing.

Real ELO HELL is for those very few unlucky ones that no matter how good they do, consistently their teammates prevent them from winning. People stuck in bronze and silver.

Their teammates are constantly creating an environment that is impossible for them to win. With so many coin flips, with so many games being played, it's very statistically possible that there are thousands of people being prevented from getting a 50% win rate, thus, stopping their advancement.

Kejmur

03-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by EloSatan View Post
Uhm, no.

Gold and up who complain about their being in ELO HELL are just them complaining about getting bad teammates a few games and losing.

Real ELO HELL is for those very few unlucky ones that no matter how good they do, consistently their teammates prevent them from winning. People stuck in bronze and silver.

Their teammates are constantly creating an environment that is impossible for them to win. With so many coin flips, with so many games being played, it's very statistically possible that there are thousands of people being prevented from getting a 50% win rate, thus, stopping their advancement.
I'll bring my last game history, because it's amusing.

I ended up 6-1 with AP Trist with highest farm in the game. Camped bot pretty much non-stop (and I still had good farm) as my bot was loosing pretty hard. In the end we were behind in 4 turrets, but we picked ALL Dragons (3 of them) and we had... kill advantage, but all my teammates voted to surrender. I was the only one who voted no, because we were loosing teamfights. You know why ? Because we didn't group. Not even once. I begged my teammates to do it, but they didn't. Also playing with guys which IGNORE mias and pings is not fun. And they blame you later on for not calling mia... when you do it. Heck, they even looked for excuse, which was... that I'm not real AP carry. I had the highest amount of kills this game, to make it more funny (Malz had one less then me). Opponents team was SHOCKED that we surrendered and said that I would carry this, because I was sticky as hell and while they tried to focus me I just jumped away or used Zhonyas. I can't even count how many games like this I had...

Also Cait 2-2 game with HIGHEST farm in the game was also pretty heavy. Problem was that... my front line was dying in 2-3 seconds. Yes, Darius and Hecarim were dying instantly because they overpushed and took 50% of their hp at all starts of fights. I couldn't autoattack, because... everyone pretty much died before I could dish out my dps.

I don't know why it's so hard in this division. Once I get 3-4 winning streak and after this I loose 3-4 games in a row because I get afk/strange teams/even dumber surrenders because people give up too easily. Begging doesn't help at all. It's just annoying.