Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Bot Lane Jayce

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lethadind

03-09-2013

Yep. I'm reviving this beaten to death topic.

Here's the thing. The new meta has switched to health, AKA bruisers own the day. A somewhat common yet not-used-often-enough-to-learn-how-to-counter-effectively strategy that was even used in S2 was throwing Xin/Panth bot lane (two bruisers) to essentially shut down the ADC. There's literally nothing a standard ADC/Support lane can do against them unless they play so passive that they end up behind anyway. Honestly even with jungle interference they can sometimes still come out ahead.

I've played a few bot lane Jayce games and have basically wiped the floor with everyone. I build him as a tanky dps bruiser still, focusing damage first for the lane and then survivability later for bruising. He still functions as a pseudo-carry in late game, but if you do it right, he's so far ahead of the other ADC that he doesn't really "need" steroids or that extra (fairly miniscule unless you are in platinum and have excellent micromanagement skills) 50 or so range to continue to smash their face in repeatedly. It's basically exactly like running the Xin/Panth lane except Jayce (if he's somewhat intelligent) can fill both the roles (albeit using tons of mana) while the support sets up kills.

Now obviously if they're far more skilled than you then you'll get way behind and they'll destroy you - but they would have done that anyway. Honestly at equal skill levels Jayce should win the lane against any ADC, simply because his kit is designed to do so. Don't focus W, focus Q and E like on top lane, and simply shut out the enemy ADC. An underfed carry rarely catches up unless he's force fed some crucial kills, or the game goes on for like 50+ minutes and everyone is able to finish their builds.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I believe Jayce to not be a viable ADC, but instead a new kind of anti-carry. And honestly I 100% believe he's more than viable on bottom lane.

Thoughts?

Cenerae

03-09-2013

Depends on who you're laning with. If you're laning with a support, it pretty much has to be lulu, or maaaaaybe janna (for the AD steroid) or you're not going to be able to apply as much pressure as you'd like, given Jayce's short range (relative to the typical AD). If laning with another bruiser, then you're going less for pokes and more for all-in, and Jayce doesn't have as potent an all-in early game as most bruisers, since he has to poke first.

I mean, yes...Jayce has good poke. But he's not going to be able to shut out someone like Caitlyn by himself.

Sephïroth

03-09-2013

I see it from time to time, here's the deal: The best ADC+ Support combo Vs the best Jayce+Support combo will lose 8/10 times.

The ADC Simply can deny Jayce last hits by using the range advantage, and unless you get the level 1 kill where you have 2 abilities to their one, you're going to be behind all game.

Yes, against sub par competition Jayce works bot. Yet, so does Blitzcank/Alistar bot, Soraka/Nidalee bot, Malzahar/Warwick bot, etc etc etc.

Until you get into Gold, even then, its about outplaying your opponent more than anything. Counters help, but a good Ahri can whip a bad Talon even though Talon is considered an Ahri counter.

If you're not playing ranked, and your team isn't getting pissy, play what you want. It'll work if you outplay those you are playing against.

Lethadind

03-09-2013

I'm not sure if you guys are getting what I'm saying. You don't build Jayce as an ADC. You don't try to ADC him. You use his melee to bully. A Hammer Form QE (backwards), transform into ranged, poke as they try to get back, and then EQ when they pass you and chase them with move speed. Ignite if they're low, if not, back off and heal. You'll win trades every time unless their support is godly and yours is a complete derp. Adding someone like Taric or Leona into the mix and it gets even more fun as they get stunned when you dive in hammer form for an easy knock back.

Jayce pokes champ at top because they usually don't have range and they often outdamage him in terms of raw AD, he also doesn't have the highest starting health. However on bot lane, he outdamages every AD carry (I think) at level 1, and has more health than most. Plus has higher burst than anyone except perhaps Graves. You treat him as a bully in bot lane to shut out the ADC so they're scared to use their range advantage on you. If you're stuck in the "meta" mindset of who goes bot, step out of it for a second and see if you can see what I see. I'm not talking about Jayce being used in the meta in any traditional way.

You aren't playing the lane as an ADC, you're playing the lane as a bully. Hope that cleared things up (and if you knew what I was talking about and still disagree, well then sorry for appearing belligerent, haha).

TwoGirlsOneUrgot

03-09-2013

I really like jayce taric, jayce leona, or jayce soraka. TBH he is a beast against many of the ad comps. He is a very high skill cap champion so you can really work wonders on bottom. However, caitlin lanes are tough due to that insane range.

Warrrrax

03-11-2013

It is an interesting thought. Like you said, unlike a Xin or Pantheon bottom, a fed Jayce can actually deliver strong DPS as a psuedo-carry in the lategame. All he really needs is an Inf Edge, and ideally an upgrade from chain to Atmas. That with his Hypercharge gives him significant bursty damage, and the charge cooldown isn't too bad.
His Qball makes for solid poke too.

DoeWinD73

03-12-2013

i always get him Botrk, BlackC, Frozen or randuis and i finish the game before going on but i think that atma and Ga plus the boots are the finnal items :P