Should new players (to ranked) start in the lowest tiers?

Yes. 19 50.00%
No. 17 44.74%
HELL NO! That'll make smurfing so much more time consuming! 2 5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

A simple fix for a large problem - RANKED PLAY WITH NOOBS

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yhufir

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Reigns View Post
This wouldn't really change anything. Bad/mid level/high level players would still all be starting at the same place, and that is the main problem.

Though the low level players would start closer to their level, high level players would start further, and you would have the same problem.

I think the best thing they could do is just set a required amount of normal games played before letting you play ranked. OR better yet, take your hidden normal elo, and when you play your first ranked game, that's where they drop you. o:
They do have something like a minimum required regular games, getting from lvl 1-30 before playing ranked. It is the same, in terms of a starting point. However, it makes earning a higher standings more time consuming (which is never a bad thing so long as it's actually do-able which this clearly is) and keeps the level of opponents more consistent. It's not the same in terms of problems. The problem I'm raising is having to play with new players every game instead of people who are, at least theoretically, veterans and are familiar with the fundementals and nuances.

Yhufir

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingSalvo View Post
They would drop instantly if they were less skilled.
Not true.
I carry noobs constantly. I'd say about 1 out of every 3 games I play I see someone who is brand new to the ranked game (50/50 on my team or enemy team). They get carried = they dont drop instantly. It can take MONTHS for them to get into the true nether regions of elo.

Yhufir

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yhufir View Post
Explain FIRST TIME RANKED PLAYERS with less than 3 games in ranked EVER. They have NEVER played in a previous season.
I didn't think so...

Talont

03-07-2013

They've already addressed this:
you are more likely to get matched with people who have similar amounts of wins to you
that's why all the queue times as of a month or more ago are up to like 40+ seconds instead of 15 seconds- they're finding you a closer match
that's the best that can be done
if you're above your elo, you'll be able to carry the occasional noob around the 1250 level

WiddiT69

03-08-2013

make all new players start at 0 is one of the best ideas i've ever heard. been playing for a bit more than a year and half on and off, and the community has progressively just turned to absolute u know what. I find myself game after game with ppl who insult then say to report me, or whomever may be the victim of that particular game. This would all be w/e assuming the tribunal system wasnt in place... ur letting ppl determine if u should be banned or not when they are the ones who reported you in the first place.

To give an example of this point I had a report on a tribunal case of mine in which i said maybe 2 lines all game, glhf gg, and in the report note it said "fk this ngga" and the vote was to punish.

If riot doesnt do something along the lines of this starting everyone at 0, or just blatently taking the tribunal out of the game, then we will continue playing games with ppl who incessantly bicker, feed, moan, curse, afk, or w/e it may be. I hate to say it but this game sucks lol I hate it so much, but still play it for whatever reason.

Yhufir

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweaNoid View Post
They've already addressed this:
you are more likely to get matched with people who have similar amounts of wins to you
that's why all the queue times as of a month or more ago are up to like 40+ seconds instead of 15 seconds- they're finding you a closer match
that's the best that can be done
if you're above your elo, you'll be able to carry the occasional noob around the 1250 level
I would find this more believable if I didnt regularly see people with 0-10 wins in ranked (ever - counting all seasons). Unless, of course, "similar amounts of wins "means "within 300 wins" of each other.