Should new players (to ranked) start in the lowest tiers?

Yes. 19 50.00%
No. 17 44.74%
HELL NO! That'll make smurfing so much more time consuming! 2 5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

A simple fix for a large problem - RANKED PLAY WITH NOOBS

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yhufir

03-07-2013

Ok, I've been playing this game about 1 year now. To give you a short history, and add some significance to the point of my story;
when I started almost a year ago, I was having a lot of fun (I've posted this story elsewhere so I'll keep this part short). I really dug the game and the variations, etc. When I made it to lvl 30 I had it in my mind that I could carry with Ashe, regardless of the situation. At the time that made sense to me because I could carry, practically all, games in unranked (blind/draft) with Ashe. This didnt work out so well in ranked, however. I found myself in the low triple digit Elo after a couple short months. I'm not confused; I was new and refused to adapt to situations. I makes sense in a certain way, I liked Ashe and hated almost every other champ, why would I play champions I don't like to play? (like if someone said you had to play Karma every game - you'd tell them to **** off, you're not playing this game so you can play what other people tell you). And when I say low, I mean like the LOW 500's.

Anyways, back to the point, I changed my outlook and, after a short period of about a month practicing all lanes and champs I could, I shot back into the high triple digits (500-900 in a week) then started focusing on my first love, ADCs, and got back into the average Elo realm (900-1200 in 2 weeks).
So from there I started bouncing between 1150-1350 on a weekly basis (at the time I wasn't working or schooling so I could go on long runs of games). But I started to notice that I was running into people who were doing exactly what I did when I first started. In some cases they weren't as hard headed but a lot of people were just as bad or worse. It dawned on me; new players are dropped into ranked around the 1200 level (obviously).

WHY?!

This may seem like a stupid question to some. But to people like me who actually had to make our way back from the true depths of Elo, in what world does it make sense to have the most inexperienced players dropped into ranked play with people who may have been playing the game for months? Doesn't it seem to make a great deal more sense to just start everyone at 0?

Pros:
-Middle tiers aren't cluttered with inexperienced players
-In order to make it to a middle tier, new players will have to work harder.
-In making it to middle tiers, new players will cease to be new (having played all those games they needed to progress)
-Those that are truly better at the game will advance quickly and easy
-Those without an affinity for the game, or who are trolling/losing consistently, wont be penalized any more.

Cons:
-Trolls who stay at low level would be harassing new players more. (this almost doesn't count because thatís basically the case now Ė also this could be fixed by starting noobs just a little higher than 0, like 300 or something)
-It will take longer to get to high standings

Obviously, since Iím the one making the argument, Iím a little biased and probably donít see the whole argument from all angles. But I still think this is sound reasoning and worth looking in to. Feedback and discussion would be appreciated.

Falling Objects

03-07-2013

1) That's not how the MMR (elo) system works, at all anymore.

2) If your MMR is at that range after a year of playing, then guess where you belong?

SelenaGomezisGG

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by falling objects View Post
if your mmr is at that range after a year of playing, then guess where you belong?
lol

Yhufir

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falling Objects View Post
1) That's not how the MMR (elo) system works, at all anymore.

2) If your MMR is at that range after a year of playing, then guess where you belong?
Explain ranked players with less than 3 games in Silver then.
That is how it works, read a book. This isn't about me, read the thread.

Falling Objects

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yhufir View Post
Explain ranked players with less than 3 games in Silver then.
That is how it works, read a book. This isn't about me, read the thread.
You have 10 placement matches before you're even placed into a tier or division. That, and the elo carry over from S1/S2 persisted to S3. I was placed in Gold with zero games played, system must be horribly broken right? Maybe those players in Silver had a high enough elo from carryover with just one or two games to merit being placed there.

Acid Reigns

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-07-2013

This wouldn't really change anything. Bad/mid level/high level players would still all be starting at the same place, and that is the main problem.

Though the low level players would start closer to their level, high level players would start further, and you would have the same problem.

I think the best thing they could do is just set a required amount of normal games played before letting you play ranked. OR better yet, take your hidden normal elo, and when you play your first ranked game, that's where they drop you. o:

BlazingSalvo

03-07-2013

You play placement matches.

Yhufir

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falling Objects View Post
You have 10 placement matches before you're even placed into a tier or division. That, and the elo carry over from S1/S2 persisted to S3. I was placed in Gold with zero games played, system must be horribly broken right? Maybe those players in Silver had a high enough elo from carryover with just one or two games to merit being placed there.
Explain FIRST TIME RANKED PLAYERS with less than 3 games in ranked EVER. They have NEVER played in a previous season.

Yhufir

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingSalvo View Post
You play placement matches.
Yes, you do play placement matches. Why would you place new players, who have never played ranked before, with people who have played dozens to hundreds of games? Why not simply start everyone from a base level (let's just say 0) and have them earn their way into a teir?

BlazingSalvo

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yhufir View Post
Yes, you do play placement matches. Why would you place new players, who have never played ranked before, with people who have played dozens to hundreds of games? Why not simply start everyone from a base level (let's just say 0) and have them earn their way into a teir?
They would drop instantly if they were less skilled.