Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How To Install LoL | How Riot Can Improve

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dataslave

Adjudicator

03-07-2013

I've noticed that a *lot* of people are having problems that are eventually traced back to them being completely unaware of how to install a Mac application properly.

How to Install LoL
1) Download the League of Legends NA.dmg (https://signup.leagueoflegends.com/en/signup/redownload) disk image.
2) Open the League of Legends NA.dmg disk image.
3) You will see a window with a Ryze background, a League of Legends.app file, and a shortcut to your Applications folder.
4) Drag the League of Legends.app file and drop it on the Applications folder shortcut. Wait for the copy to finish.
5) Click on the Ryze picture, then hit cmd+e to eject the disk image.
6) Open your Applications folder.
7) (Optional) Drag League of Legends.app onto your Dock for quick access.
8) Open League of Legends.

How Riot Can Improve the User Experience
The above steps are something veteran Mac users know and have been doing for years, but it isn't really something Apple has gone out of their way to educate new users on. A lot of developers have ran into this issue over the years, and the recent influx of new users was causing the problem to get out of hand. A lot of different ways were explored to educate the user on the install process, and different distribution methods were tried. Then the app store came around, and the issue largely disappeared.

The developers of Firefox wrote down some good thoughts on the matter: (part1 (http://limi.net/articles/improving-the-mac-installer-for-firefox/), part2 (http://limi.net/articles/firefox-mac-installation-experience-revisited)). Their final solution was to stick with the disk image distribution, and allow their application to be opened anywhere. On first being opened, it asks the user if they'd like Firefox to be moved it to the Applications folder, and asks them if they'd like a shortcut placed on the Dock. They even include some source code in part2 to allow other developers to use their method. There's also plenty of discussion out there about how the mac application install process can be streamlined.

I highly encourage the developers to adopt the Firefox method, or something similar.

Jooblee

03-07-2013

I just bought a retina display MacBook Pro today as my first mac, and I had no clue how to install LoL, thank you so much!

FreakinUnoriginl

03-07-2013

When I first switched to Mac this was definitely one of those things that made me go "Huh?" I've come to really appreciate dmg images and the app package structure, but it's something recent converts will need help with.

As a wanna-be developer, the Firefox method is also really good information!

Thanks!

Udyr

Recruiter

03-08-2013

Great idea.

yosloth

03-10-2013

Thank You! Just got a Mac and this solved the problem

VG Bonjers

03-10-2013

I'm using the link above League of Legends NA.dmg to install LOL, but the installer has been downloading for 5 hours now. It says it has 2 hours remaining at 98% complete, why? Why is it taking so long to download? I have all other programs closed and running a Mountain lion OS X 10.8.2.

Iquicksnipe

03-12-2013

Thank you so much