Question about dodges

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IceGaia

03-06-2013

I just had a champion select where two people were afk. One guy claimed he was mad so he afk'd. The other guy just didn't show. I was on a promotional series (best 3/5) and I dodged because two people were fighting (the mad guy and the captain), not mention we had one dude just not there. I forgot if you dodge in a promo series that it's over. So my question is why does the series reset, or put you back at 80pts or so, for dodging? I don't think it's exactly fair to be removed from your series for dodging, when those games can be some of the most important you play. Dodging is a painful tactic to avoid toxic players, or otherwise unfavorable conditions (such as afkers).

TLDR: Why do you get set back to 80pts for dodging while in a best of 5 series?

LogicalTautology

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceGaia View Post
I just had a champion select where two people were afk. One guy claimed he was mad so he afk'd. The other guy just didn't show. I was on a promotional series (best 3/5) and I dodged because two people were fighting (the mad guy and the captain), not mention we had one dude just not there. I forgot that if you dodge in a promo series that it's over. So my question is why does the series reset, or put you back at 80pts or so, for dodging? I don't think it's exactly fair to be removed from your series for dodging, when those games can be some of the most important you play? Dodging is a painful tactic to avoid toxic players, or otherwise unfavorable conditions (such as afkers).

Because otherwise people would abuse the dodging mechanic to only play in games they think they will win.

Protip: If you are purposefully closing the client during Champ Select, you are abusing the dodge mechanic. No exceptions.

IceGaia

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalTautology View Post
Because otherwise people would abuse the dodging mechanic to only play in games they think they will win.

Protip: If you are purposefully closing the client during Champ Select, you are abusing the dodge mechanic. No exceptions.
Just how would one accidentally close the client during Champ Select, thus not abusing the dodge mechanic?

LogicalTautology

03-07-2013

Quote:
Just how would one accidentally close the client during Champ Select, thus not abusing the dodge mechanic?
The 'dodge mechanic' exists to avoid having the game fire if someone actually disconnects before the game starts. There is absolutely no valid reason to purposefully 'dodge' because you do not like how the game is forming up in Champ Select. None.

Stop putting your personal fun over the nine of us who want to play a damn game. If you don't like being able to compromise and be respectful to people, play premade 5s.

IceGaia

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalTautology View Post
The 'dodge mechanic' exists to avoid having the game fire if someone actually disconnects before the game starts. There is absolutely no valid reason to purposefully 'dodge' because you do not like how the game is forming up in Champ Select. None.

Stop putting your personal fun over the nine of us who want to play a damn game. If you don't like being able to compromise and be respectful to people, play premade 5s.
Excuse me, but I clearly stated that two people were afk in champion select. One guy got a random pick because he never showed up, and the other guy raged because he couldn't have mid. He also randomed. That is at least one toxic player, who would either intentionally make the team lose, or just not even play at all. Before you accuse me of putting my personal fun over nine others, I am talking about ranked queue for one, which is highly competitive if you didn't know. I never, I repeat NEVER, abuse the 'dodge mechanic' to troll or waste others' time. It was actually my first dodge since S3 began. You are being unreasonable, and also quite immature for resorting to insults before using logical argument. I was merely asking a question. Please, next time contribute something more meaningful to my thread.

LogicalTautology

03-07-2013

Quote:
Excuse me, but I clearly stated that two people were afk in champion select. One guy got a random pick because he never showed up, and the other guy raged because he couldn't have mid. He also randomed. That is at least one toxic player, who would either intentionally make the team lose, or just not even play at all. Before you accuse me of putting my personal fun over nine others, I am talking about ranked queue for one, which is highly competitive if you didn't know. I never, I repeat NEVER, abuse the 'dodge mechanic' to troll or waste others' time. It was actually my first dodge since S3 began. You are being unreasonable, and also quite immature for resorting to insults before using logical argument. I was merely asking a question. Please, next time contribute something more meaningful to my thread.
I didn't insult anyone; my response was quite logical in fact. You thought that your team was at a disadvantage, and so you tried to game the system by leaving the queue. That is in direct contrast to the whole premise of Elo/LP, that you are paired in a random game with nine random strangers and the system sees how much you improve the chance of your team to win. The system inherently fails when you decide to not play certain games because you think your team will probably lose. Thus, you are punished an amount of LP to compensate for the fact that you tried to game the system to avoid losing LP.
On top of that, think of the time you wasted. By the time the Champ Select process was almost finished, somewhere in the neighbourhood of 3(10s)+10(30s)=330s=5.5 minutes went by. Nine other people in the game, so you wasted a total of 49.5 minutes of other people's time, in order to save yourself 20 minutes of a game that might be unenjoyable. Seem fair to you?

Khizan

03-07-2013

Quote:
Because otherwise you'd have people dodging every game that they didn't like the looks of.

"Ooo. Top got countered hard. Let's try this again," "Dammit, I hate playing against <champion>, dodging," "Didn't ban Shaco; dodging." Etc, etc, etc.

It's to prevent people from cherry picking their promotion games and playing only those for which they get a favorable matchup..

ArCblizz

03-08-2013

I agree with you IceGaia. and Im sry the community is being so rude to you. It doesnt make any sense that you get kicked from your promotional do to afkers. there should be a kick system or something for people who are acting up in champ select. 4/4 vote for him to be kicked then he is, would fix alot of problems. the people leaving que isnt the issue. Its the que itself, the people leaving the que are sick of the trolls and leavers and other jerks.

They already have a time penallty, and now you lose LP and get your promotional series kicked. doesnt solve the problem of all the trolls

IceGaia

03-12-2013

I was glad to recently find out that Riot is intending to introduce an auto-kick from champ select for people that are afk. That's a really important factor for eliminating bull**** from people's games before they even start.