A partial counter to Kassadin in Blind Pick

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Koravel

03-06-2013

So, a few weeks back, I decided to try to come up with a way, any way, to even partially counter Kassadin in blind pick. I have come to the conclusion that Riot is not working on anything to fix him, so I had to figure out whether there was a potential counter, or whether it was simply time to leave Dominion, (and LoL, as SR is boring as heck), altogether.

Before I begin, this is not a counter to Kassadins on a premade. It won't work if the premade at all knows what they are doing. This is a counter to those people who pick Kassadin in solo queue just because they believe he's an easy win. (Thus, this is also not a counter to him in draft pick. But that shouldn't be a problem, as he is 100% banned in draft pick.)

Most of the time, they are correct.

However, I have had some success with the following strategy. Note that it also requires a certain type of champion who can stick with Kassadin for a short period of time, (Vi, for example). In my book, any strat which results in a 50/50 win rate against Kass would be good.

I need some more people to test this, which is why I am throwing this out there.

Things you are going to need to do this:

1) Patience. A rager will not get this done. If you at all insult your own team, this will most likely break down. It requires teamwork, and lots of it.
2) Leadership. You have to be the leader on your team and get them to follow the strat- again, without insults and without raging. Start out with something like, "Okay you guys wanna try a different strat against Kassadin? We've got nothing to lose, as he's really overpowered and everyone knows it." (I didn't say you had to be positive, just not raging. :P)
3) A champ who can stick to Kass for a short while. Vi is my favorite champion to do this with. She's one of my favorite champions in any case.

The key element of this strategy is something which may run counter to many people's way of playing dominion: Never engage a team fight where the odds are equal, (also do not engage if they favor the enemy, obviously). This is not just in the scenario where Kass is the one missing. Even if Kass is there, if the odds are equal, (this is more than just numbers, if you are 4v4, but they are all heavily wounded, then by all means, engage), do not engage.

The second element is something which everyone at high elo already knows. Gank bot lane consistently. If the enemy bot laner starts QQing in all chat about how you have to baby-sit bot lane, you are doing it right. In addition, backdoor their mid, constantly. Don't use a dedicated back-doorer, Kass will shut them down, but just send your designated "Kass-killer" over there to backdoor.

In essence, what you are doing is forcing them to make decisions on who to send where. Most of the time, in blind pick, this will result in temporary confusion on the enemy team which you can then use to your advantage and take the windmill. Or, they may hesitate long enough to cap bot and/or their mid. (Side note: this strategy, minus the part about never engaging when the odds are equal, is what you really should be using in dominion anyway.)

You are pretty much constantly swapping points with the enemy, you're forcing them to react to what you are doing. Many of the Kassadins in blind pick have no clue how to play dominion for real, all they do is get Kass and go around killing things- which, granted, is effective. But it is not the best way to play the map.

You have to be a leader in team chat in order to pull this off, and you have to be able to do it without coming off condescending or insulting.

My Vi build for doing this is as follows: Rush a Frozen Mallet. And by rush, I mean don't even take Pros blade. Start with Boots, Ruby Crystal, Long Sword and a trio of hp pots.

Get boots of mobility or boots of speed. The rest of the build is entirely up to what type of team the enemy has. The FM is key. Getting around fast is key. Other than that, it's up to you. Maw of Malmortius is good, Last Whisper is good, (generally that is my second item), etc.

Vi is one of the only champions that can flat out take Kassadin without him being able to escape, if he makes a single mistake. This is one of the biggest problems with Kassadin, he can make his mistakes and still get out scot free.

As soon as he ults into a battle, charge him with q and beat the **** out of him until he uses his ult to retreat. Use your ult to catch back up, and this should enable you to kill him. If you time it right, you can get a second q off to catch up to him again after he retreats a second time.

To reiterate, this strategy will most likely not work against someone who truly knows how to play dominion and also knows how to play Kassadin. However, many people who are up there in terms of their knowledge of dominion, are also the people that have a kind of unwritten rule not to use Kassadin.

Nor am I saying Kassadin is not OP. He is, without a doubt, the most overpowered champion on here, and utilized correctly, is nigh unstoppable. However, most of the people who play him do not know how to utilize him correctly, (which involves more than just knowing how to play Kass, it's also how to play the map and support your team), and this strategy should effectively counter his utility against such players.

I truly believe that the only reason why this works as well as it does in my experience is because the vast majority of Kassadin players are at an inflated elo. They have used him to reach an elo they don't deserve to be playing at, and do not understand the game, nor play it as well, as the others around them. I am trying to exploit this weakness using this strategy.

Let me know any other suggestions someone might have.

weezcake

03-06-2013

He's not unstoppable. He usually targets me (since I play Lux) so I just have to switch my build around to slow him down a bit. Instead of building super AP Lux, I use merc boots and abyssal scepter. It sucks, but it definitely helps out a little.

If I have a good team that communicates, I will sometimes bait Kassadin and then have my team jump him. One good CC and he's as good as dead. However, this only works when my team is actually protecting the squishies and watching the champs in the back lane. Doesn't always work, but works well if I have a teammate with a good stun or a bruiser who will draw fire away from me after Kassadin jumps me.

He is definitely still strong, but he is counterable. I suppose I'm not super high ELO and the Kassadins around my level are generally bearable..

Koravel

03-06-2013

He is pretty much unstoppable *if* he knows how to play Kass and can play Dominion well.

This is not the case with the vast majority of Kassadins as they have used his OPness to vault them up into an elo range they really have no business being at.

Just curious, and this won't say everything, but what's the build you generally see on Kassadins when you play them?

weezcake

03-06-2013

On Kassadins? They build lots of different things. There really isn't anything in common between all their builds, reinforcing the theory that most Kassadins have no idea what they are doing.

But honestly, I haven't really seen a Kassadin recently. Maybe 1-2 in the last 10 games or so. I'll pay more attention to them next time lol

Torkable

03-06-2013

play fizz

BeefJerkyHunter

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkable View Post
play fizz
Pretty solid strategy.

LadysKnight

03-06-2013

Gotta agree with Torkable. Kill the Kass, save the game. But unless you have a very mobile or durable team, it probably won't matter either way against a real skilled Kass come late game. A skilled one is pretty tanky and jumps around the map and only forces fights in which he has the favorable numbers. The best counter I can think of is play an assassin, as Torkable said, like Fizz or Talon who can kill him before he can moon walk awayMichael Jackson style.

Saint Lee

03-07-2013

the counter is called... Warwick (+teamplay)

Koravel

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadysKnight View Post
Gotta agree with Torkable. Kill the Kass, save the game. But unless you have a very mobile or durable team, it probably won't matter either way against a real skilled Kass come late game. A skilled one is pretty tanky and jumps around the map and only forces fights in which he has the favorable numbers. The best counter I can think of is play an assassin, as Torkable said, like Fizz or Talon who can kill him before he can moon walk awayMichael Jackson style.
I agree. This would only work against Kassadins who don't really know what they are doing.

MuseLuffy

03-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkable View Post
play fizz
+1