Why don't my team ever know HOW TO PLAY DOMINION?!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arcane Azmadi

03-06-2013

Christ on toast, it's not rocket science! Cap mid, defend bot, fight over top and HOLD IT! That's the bare, basic minimum required to win a game of Dom.

You only push bot when the enemy is driving hard on top (YOUR top, that you already hold) and you need to draw them off. Backdooring their mid is ONLY done when they're all pushing hard on your side of the map or in order to lure them away from top. You do NOT just ignore top when they hold it to all group up and push bot BECAUSE THEY'LL JUST GROUP UP AND PUSH BACK. And since you're assaulting a point which is close to their spawn point and on the opposite side of the map from yours, your chances of success are minimal unless you're already completely crushing them. And even if you get it, how likely are you going to be to be able to hold it, when reinforcements are an entire map-length away?

Seriously, I am sick of game after game after game after game of Dom being blatantly thrown by teammates who cannot grasp a VERY SIMPLE PRINCIPLE: "Top wins Dominion". If you don't control the Windmill, you're not going to win. So for the love of god, STOP STACKING 3 OR 4 PLAYERS ON BOT LANE WHEN THE ENEMY ALREADY HAS TOP! Please! It's not bloody hard! 1 player down there to hold the lane, 2 if they send 2 down there as well, maybe 3 if they push with 3 as well, but 2 can defend a point against 3 a lot better than 1 can against 2 so you should just take 3 bot as an invitation to press on the enemy mid (because you ALREADY HOLD TOP, RIGHT?)

Koravel

03-06-2013

You are actually incorrect.

This reliance on holding top no matter what is what causes many games to be losses.

Dominion is NOT about holding the windmill, it's about jungle control and consistent, effective ganking of bot lane. If the enemy already has top, then the answer is NOT to attack the windmill, in most cases, it's to go for their mid or gank bot.

A Slime Appears

03-06-2013

I've lost many, many games because my team keeps going for top, regardless of how many times it doesn't work. Slamming paper bags into a brick wall will never break it. At least, not before your nexus hits 0 health. Mr. 34 explained it pretty well.

WaterD103

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-06-2013

Actually the most common mistake i see in dominion, is people overvaluing holding top. The team that controls the jungle, is the team that wins.

weezcake

03-06-2013

Yup. Like everyone else has said, trying too hard to take top actually makes you lose games sometimes.

If you can't take top, gank bot lane or take their mid. The best way to win their top is to split up their 4 players at the top and beat them in smaller fights. You can still win with bot, mid, and their mid/their bot.

Arcane Azmadi

03-06-2013

I'm correct enough.

The only reason to attack the enemy mid or bot is to draw them away from top. Unless your team is IMMENSELY stronger than your opponents and you're going for a 5-cap shutout, enemy mid and bot are not "objectives" to be taken and held, they're weaknesses to be pressured to draw the enemy away from a more important objective: the Windmill.

It takes an IMMENSE amount of effort and skill to take either the enemy mid or bot when they're defended by an equal number of players and even if you do you won't be able to hold them for long against a semicompetent opponent. As I already pointed out, you're right in front of the enemy spawn point while you're a LONG way from your own. Simple attrition dictates that you cannot hold out for long. So if your team sends 4 bot and the enemy counters with 4 bot while holding top and mid with 1 who moves between them to simply stall out or solo your remaining 1 (Nidalee is a good example thanks to her mobility and ability to poke you off the point with Javelins), you're going to lose. They have 3 points, you have 2, and you're smashing your head against a brick wall trying to take an objective you won't even be able to hold anyway while ignoring the much easier one.

Believe me, I'm not just saying "ASSAULT TOP AND ONLY TOP ALL GAME." Like I said, you can put extra pressure on bot to split up your enemy's defence on top, or backdoor mid to force them to back off. But teams who simply IGNORE top and insist on pushing bot non-stop when they're behind just piss me off because it NEVER, EVER works.

Pazdingo

03-06-2013

I would guess not many people know how to play it because not many people play it except as a break between SR games

Panzerzs

03-06-2013

In all honesty, there is no solid dominion metta ._.
-I've spectated low elo games in dominion, and some people don't even cap their middle point D:::
-I just wish feedski made a tutorial x.x but he needs the time, and we give him all the credit for making dominion known!
-But Idk, even in high elo, some people have the mechanics wrong (at least how my team and I see it)
-And.. as a result, we try and help as many people as possible to know the real metta!!

Basic Dominion Tips:
-Revive --> second chance + hp boost + ghost --> can ruin good plays --> turn the games around --> Creates the action-packed mode dominion offers
-Jungle control beats everything unless your team comp is really bad. A team who pushes a lane (because Riot said pushing lanes neutralizes nodes np) loses their map awareness and are in the worst situation possible
-Think of it like this, would a company of soldiers walk on the road looking for the enemy only to be sighted easily and then ambushed? or would they hide in the brush and bushes beside the roads awaiting or attempting to ambush the enemy?
-Champions with ward-like spells tilt the map awareness ADV which is cheap (nid traps, teemo shrooms, maokai saplings), but awesome because then it forces the other team's map awareness to be taken to the next level!
-If the enemy team is camping the top point, gank their bottom point, or take over their jungle and wait for one of them to wander into their jungle, take em out, and then engage the 4 v 3

UPfreely

03-06-2013

Cuz im on your team

FeanorAlmighty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-06-2013

Don't bother arguing with this guy, he goes Flash Ignite on Cassiopeia.