So, about that Karma leak...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DemiluniS

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestBilbo View Post
There's a real specific reason Karma is called Karma otherwise she would have had a way more random name - way more abstract such as the Lee Sin example you explain, just got to find the post - bro, sadly my F3 key is broken, could you tell me what page it gets you to when you type 'olaf itemsguy' ?
Q_Q i'm not used to this F3, it just marks the 'Olaf ItemsGuy' that appears on the screen

BestBilbo

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyumai View Post
I know people think I'm a ****** and this'll get downvotes as well - I just hope you'll be decent enough to tell me what page it bring you to when F3'ing 'ItemsGuy Olaf'

DemiluniS

03-18-2013

BestBilbo, is this your main acc?

BestBilbo

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiluniS View Post
Q_Q i'm not used to this F3, it just marks the 'Olaf ItemsGuy' that appears on the screen
I think you have to press enter - what should happen is that it shows all of the results of posts that included 'Itemsguy' and 'Olaf' in this entire thread.

Since the post about Karma's name - as people have asked the same question before was made by ItemsGuy and included the 'Olaf' somewhere in his post I would've hoped I'd find it.

Whyumai

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestBilbo View Post
Could you press F3 in this thread and search 'auxiliary' for me - please tell me what pages it takes you - I'd gladly give an answer to the argument to the point you are making right now, but I need that page.

I can't do it myself, my F3 key is broken.
1. F3 is the search function for the page you are on not the entire thread.
2. http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...huser=ItemsGuy will search through all of ItemsGuy's posts. I could narrow the search to a specific term but i'm lazy and I honestly don't care enough to do it.

BestBilbo

03-18-2013

Quote:
BestBilbo, is this your main acc?
I'm from EUW originally - LOLKING 'Perifear' if you're interested, that's my main over there.

This is just my forum account.

That said, if nobody can find the page I'm looking for or is refusing to tell me I suppose I'm off to bed - probably going to write a thread myself tomorrow.

Cya lads!

DemiluniS

03-18-2013

Quote:
2. http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...huser=ItemsGuy will search through all of ItemsGuy's posts. I could narrow the search to a specific term but i'm lazy and I honestly don't care enough to do it.
you're OP

BestBilbo

03-18-2013

Quote:
Thank you, found it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItemsGuy View Post
While stuff like "Zed," "Twitch," and "Graves" is added in to create flavor and set forward a first impression (if Poppy were named Ragg'Loth, Eater of Worlds, it would seem a bit out-of-place), using a term with very, very heavy spiritual connotations to it is something else entirely. You're putting this on the same platter as other things--but just as the Taijitu isn't something you throw around when you don't want to express some level of Yin-Yang duality, Karma isn't a word to be used lightly, either. Also, the epithet of champions tends to set forth what that champion will be about ("Plague Rat," "Might of Demacia," "Frost Archer"), Karma's epithet is "The Enlightened One," which doesn't give any insight into how she might play (in fact, it takes the usual job of a champion's name to imply the characteristics of the champion, such as Graves's grave and gritty demeanor, Twitch's spasticness and "twitchy trigger finger," Vayne's throwback to the "vampire hunter" archetype, etc.), so her name, then, must do the job of giving that insight.

And like I said--Karma isn't a word you throw around lightly, just like any other sort of religious symbolism. These words generally carry more weight than "tree" or "grave," because there is much more meaning behind them.

Also also, "Her name is Karma, and she is adorned with various eastern religious and cultural symbols like the Yin-Yang, jade stuff, and serpentine dragons--meaning that name was chosen for a reason--so she might have something to do with what karma does" is a more natural thought process than "Oh, she's named after a famous-albeit-globally-misconstrued concept of reflection of one's positive and negative actions? Probably has nothing to do with it, despite all the eastern symbolism she's decked out in."

To put this into perspective--a character named "Brand" that is made of fire and also burns you with it, is more of a logical step-by-step than a character named "Brand" that is made of fire but doesn't really use it in-game. Also, the Heirarchy For Understanding the Basis of Fictional Characters goes Appearance -> Epithet (if any) -> Name -> Auxiliary Background Information (if any). For Karma, that's Indian-Looking Eastern-Flavored Spiritualist With A Huge Floating Taijitu -> "The Enlightened One -> "Karma" -> Lore.

So in the end, Lore is not what you want to work off of, and in this particular situation (the context of a competitive video game with 100+ playable characters) Karma's name takes presidence over her epithet because "Enlightened One" doesn't really tell the player much about how she plays, but rather what she's like (which is usually the job of the appearance and name--take a viking named "Olaf" for example).
I know this is going to get downvotes, but read so you know why 'Karma' as name shouldn't be taken lightly as an aspect on her design.

You're welcome!

PS: Yet again thanks Whyumai!

Severian NA

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healurownbum View Post
First off Yay ur back hadnt seen u inawhile (I know weird! But i like reading your posts)

And i always saw her passive more as part of that iron will. U will not break me i will grow stronger. Not something u would on purpose use but more so something when stuff gets tough you could deal with it as you got tougher Now she is going to be more of ranged dmg dealer, i cant help but compare her to Lux but without a proper ult to finish off the enemy. But again i dont know her scaling and base dmg of the abilities! And i will have to judge her when she is on the PBE.

Altho i know alrdy im going to be much harsher at judging her as i expect alot more. She lost her balance and is now a APC more then a support.
I've been semi-lurking. When I saw the kit, and the subsequent replies, I didn't feel like I had much to say. Scarizard clearly displayed an understanding of what made Karma fun, and I got the impression he had tried and somewhat succeded to retain elements of that. I had nothing to add with the info provided. Nor ask. Not yet.
Anyways! I appreciate the kind words. They mean a lot. I put a lot of effort into what I write, mostly XD ADD doesn't make it easy to be short and to the point.

Quote:
finally a constructive feedback from a karma player, that's what I waited for, you brought real evidence about what you liked about her kit and I respect you for that, even tho I don't fully agree with you about her passive because I think her new W compensates it pretty much, you can turn a tower dive into a kill easily, you going to punish your enemies for attacking you, I think that's a good replacement for her old passive. I'm not a karma fan, but I really appreciate the effort Riot put into her and I think we all should firstly try her out instead of judging her changes right away, you did it in the rightway, upvote for you
Thanks I try to be constructive, and I finally opened my mouth again because I felt Xelnath made a good point, but very one-sided compared to my experience. As Healurownbum said, the passive makes a difference, with all the changes, it is the final blow to her uniqueness, as I see it.

When you bring forth her W, I agree to some extent. It retains some of the baiting that was so much fun. It is not the same, but it is not all lost. I appreciate that.

Yet, what I was trying to say, is that the baiting is not the most important thing about the old passive. I used to think so. Now, looking at her kit, I suddenly realized that it is more. She had something that separated her from the other, similar champions, Not a heal, but strength that responded to need, in a sense. She did not fall over when the situation worsened, she straightened. Anyway, as I wrote, I would like that to be retained, even if it means they find a different way. I want to keep that spirit, combined with her kit, it was a major part of what made her what she is to me.

Karma is the one champion I pick when I am uncertain of my team, of the enemy, anything. The champion I am the most prepared to go into a situation I can't judge with. Team won't communicate? Nobody knows who goes where, I pick Karma. If I end up sololane with Leona, I am in a bad spot. If I end up facing Kassadin with Ahri, it will hurt. Karma blows Kassadin a new void, but that is beside the point XD.

The point is that Karma gave me a fighting chance, and even if I was losing lane, I could always do something. I always felt like I could do something, and that makes even losing bearable. Some of that has been retained to a degree, but the passive was an important part of that, a numerical and a motivational edge when I was in a bad situation. Lux can lane-clear, shield, and her range and root makes her hard to kill. But she doesn't have that inner fire. She isn't Karma. A situation which makes Lux take antidepressants, will leave my Karma unfazed. Even stronger. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxMustache View Post
Im totally in love with you right now! You're right in that they should not of given her passive away to the new one. The new one does not seem to give her truly enough help to make difference in tight spots as her old one did. But her old one was also limited because it only helped in tight spots. Maybe both together, i dont see why this would be so strong as taric has essentially the same thing with his q and passive. Still excited for her though!
We are in accordance, summoner. XD I second your seconding this seco... Sorry about that.

------

BestBilbo

03-18-2013

Quote:
you're OP
Found and posted the post about 'the importance of Karma actually being named 'Karma' !