So, about that Karma leak...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

YoshiStampedeBlu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-07-2013

AWW YEAH BLACK CHAMp

Dunkaroonies

03-07-2013

Karma looks so different compared to her old look. Also someone said Sivir is in the corner. I don't see her.

Aazera Theone

03-07-2013

What if, to appease us fan lovers, some of her new emotes included her taking out a fan from her hip and fanning herself with it or something? Like for her new laugh: (take out and flick open fan, place over face and giggle) or something like that. Just to play to her old design, similar to how Janna makes a callback to her old VO in one of her new emotes. I'd be happy with that. :3

Sl1vers

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Thanks - this is informative.

Because of the rig and how things "work" (shorthand), the fans won't be returning here, but I think that these might have been more important to some die-hard Karma fans than we originally thought.

As our first full overhaul, we want to make sure if there are additional considerations that we take them into account when approaching these. While our decisions can quite possibly at least put off a few players with this kind of stuff, it is food for thought next time.
Thanks, Morello!

Although this is Riot's first time doing this, it isn't necessarily the first time it has been done with a "character" concept. Comic Books are probably the easiest parallel example of needing to transform Super Heroes while not pissing of there fan base in the process. If any of you have friends in that industry, you could probably learn a lot from conversations with them.

One thing I do know they do is to first identify what the "most recognizable" component of the character and then carefully not upset that apple cart as much as possible; Superman's Cape, Bat Suit, Wolverines Claws, etc etc.

I would argue in your case, Karma's most identifiable component was her Fans (as would many on this thread). And in this case, you didn't just change that component but completely eliminated it in favor of something else. Generally, you are all very good about this in new skins and such, but I think the freedom of the word "overhaul" allowed for too much freedom especially when it came to the "classic" skin.

Put another way, Karma without the her Fans is not "Classic" Karma just as a cape-less Superman would never be considered a "Classic" Superman

Instead, you have given us New Karma with old Karma colors. But definitely not "Classic" Karma

VaiSeig

03-07-2013

in my opinion, i think players who owned her up to the date of the LEAK should get the skin, most ppl would just end up grabbing for a free skin

Onyx Blossom

03-07-2013

Will Karma's other skins be getting unique particle effects? Like Sun Goddess has bright, orange, and red particles. While Sakura may have flowery, bright shades of pink? I own both skins so I am quite curious?

Schoild

Recruiter

03-07-2013

are rioters just ignoring us? they always say that they listen to us.. but when everyone is sad about the changes they make.. they just ignore us and keep going with their ideas

Dingus Maximus

03-07-2013

".....We’ve also taken her Ionian ties a step further: her magic springs from the crest of twin dragons in her mantle, literally and figuratively transforming her into a symbol of her homeland."

So........she'll be able to turn into a dragon....?

Yoruichi

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAmes View Post
Thanks- we had players like yourself in mind when we had the idea to make a Traditional skin. We want to provide other players with access to the skin as well, however.

Bravo! I love Karma, have for a long time. I was never a die-hard for aesthetics, but for her play-style. I think it's really cool that you're giving this to those who did like her aesthetic though. Thanks for the free, it's not often a company gives away it's work for nothing!

Aeolian Melodies

03-07-2013

Awesome. I can't wait to see her new kit, but that new artwork and model, wow. I have only one word and that word is GORGEOUS.