So, about that Karma leak...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SilverKitsune

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL Penguin View Post
I think the problem with the VO is that what they think of Karma is not what we think of Karma.

Riot's vision of Karma is a mystical, Oriental-style Queen, who represented the nation of Ionia with its mythical elemental power and primal nature. She leads Ionia to the battlefield head-first with a blast of personal, physically manifest mystical power she wields to smite her enemies.

A player's version of Karma however is a modernizing political leader who embraced the life of harsh realism and elegancy of international diplomacy; a kind a female president or a congresswoman. Her strength comes from the way she use powers to move the people around her. She more "guides" than leads.

Personally, I like the second one. In the lore, her title was Duchess of Ionia. Yet, why do I feel like she's a Princess... like the one that gives you a mystical gem at the end of a RPG quest after defeating 10,000 slimes? Or a female Braveheart?
And really, even if they wanted to go with the mystical Oriental-style queen, the fans still work. Fans have historically been associated with nobility and power. The folding fan (which is what Karma uses) has been associated with European royalty since its introduction in the 17th century, and commonly seen in portraits of women in that time period. Going even further back, in Eastern Asia, ornate folding fan have been used as diplomatic gifts, and fans with iron spokes (or even completely metal ones!), called the tessen in Japan, have been traditionally used as a form of self defense against projectiles, and legends even feature heroes using them to win duels against enemies! Given that Ionia is Riot's equivalent of Eastern Asia, and the history the battle fan has in the region, removing them from Karma's battle animations/character as a whole in her update/rework is, in my honest opinion, a mistake.

When I linked the initial posts to a friend, and mentioned the lack of fans, he said, "Fans are pretty badass weapons . . . the only thing about a fan is since it's atypical (and presumably less deadly/harder to use), only the true badasses use them." I have to agree with him there.

Schoild

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-06-2013

i bought sakura karma for the red fans.. and now i wont have them.. can i please get a refund?

Icebender

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoild View Post
i bought sakura karma for the red fans.. and now i wont have them.. can i please get a refund?
All items are subject to change. You should know that for every virtual purchase you make.

kjj92

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bes7iA View Post
as a karma player im really worried that her new kit wont allow me to do the things i do now

with karma right now i can

-solo top
-mid
-support
-jungle ( great to help secure a kill to a melee champ)

so i have this question:

would i be able to still play the way i play now?
With karma now you can only troll

Bes7iA

03-06-2013

the "vintage karma" skin looks great, and in some way it reminde me that is still karma

but the new karma look is like a sindra-irelia thing,

could you at least leave the fans on her "vintage skin"?

RiotAmes

QA Analyst

03-06-2013
28 of 43 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL Penguin View Post
Riot's vision of Karma is a mystical, Oriental-style Queen, who represented the nation of Ionia with its mythical elemental power and primal nature. She leads Ionia to the battlefield head-first with a blast of personal, physically manifest mystical power she wields to smite her enemies.

A player's version of Karma however is a modernizing political leader who embraced the life of harsh realism and elegancy of international diplomacy; a kind a female president or a congresswoman. Her strength comes from the way she use powers to move the people around her. She more "guides" than leads.
As someone who has been involved with the Karma relaunch since the beginning of this project, Karma's story for me is about her transition from the reserved politician to an active leader. She has all this power- her story references it ( By tapping into her inner resilience, she discovered that she could bring great force to bear against her foes on the battlefield. ), but has chosen not to use it to its potential in the past. What costs might that bring with it? In her search for balance and compromise, what might she have lost that a firm stance wouldn't? She hasn't lost her ability to negotiate or guide, but she's gained more conviction to act.

We want Karma to represent balance between the 'old' Ionia and the 'traditional' Ionia - the wise Elders and their traditions and the near-militant youth who grew up under Noxus' thumb. There's costs to making that transition as well. I've got a few stories cooked up about her experiences, but that's all non-cannon and I won't subject you to my fan fictions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demigas View Post
Oh Alright. I was afraid as a veteran Karma player that I'd have to buy it =x Well thanks for clearing that up for me, sorry if I wasted your time. Keep being awesome. I will always support Riot :3
Thanks- we had players like yourself in mind when we had the idea to make a Traditional skin. We want to provide other players with access to the skin as well, however.

DarkAngel62

03-06-2013

Can someone PLEASE buy me Karma Please

Rivini

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by catraven View Post
said by dull, controlling adult males and jealous older females ever......
It's a school night. You should be getting some shut eye.

Dryad Soraka

03-06-2013

piss off katarina, there's a new femme fatale in the house

SirGloomy

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAmes View Post
Thanks- we had players like yourself in mind when we had the idea to make a Traditional skin. We want to provide other players with access to the skin as well, however.
Asking from a curious point of view, because i'll always love karma no matter what;

Lets say I want to use the original model sakura karma skin ive been using for years, i can't right?
Only her original model "skin" will be available after the rework.
Which means the sakura karma will be rework only?