Mentality change mandatory for moving up league's. (Tip's)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iTziLLiRL

03-06-2013

Wussup community! Just trying to shed some of that bad thinking that could possibly be in your mind about League, several things I KNOW and am comfortable advising to the lower tier'd players. I Am 1945 ELO(Plat4) I feel I am pretty knowledgeable and comfortable in 3/5 of the roles. Of course your mind will doubt me but hear me out, I am the type of person a "special" need's person could advise me on something and I will hear them, that doesn't mean I will listen. You're all in control of what you learn and how you learn it! I hope I explain everything as thoroughly as possible, to help you get the best results!

Now I've played on several of my friends low ELO accounts around 790 elo was the lowest and as high as 1600s, although it seems like a dirty move by me, I am sure they've learned a few things by being destroyed because when I get destroyed I learn fast too! There are several things I've realized, and many patterns I've noticed with low ELO mentality I'd like to give you insight into a possible reflection of the way you may think.

Do understand we're all human and I wasn't born with a stamp on my foot saying you will be 1900 elo(not that it's good or anything, but like many higher up elo's I am sure all of us can go down to bronze 5 or as high as gold 3 or so and do extremely well almost every game. It's all different mentalities that set apart the high and the low. Adjusting your mind to fit a certain situation is hard but not impossible. All of you at bronze 5 have the possibility to hit diamond if you wanted too! you just need to change your thinking.(easier said than done)

I believe if I make a change I should make it at the root not at the branch.
Sorry but his thread is not simple, because league is not simple. If you cannot handle high school vocabulary or complex understanding do not read on(Typically teenagers) It'll just strain your brain.
Mentality enemy number 1 - Ignorance.
1.) if you're the type that nags people who don't follow the meta or do unorthodox things AKA Meta sheep's. Your mind is simply telling you that a majority doesn't do it so it doesn't work(Which is completely wrong). Just because people don't do it does NOT mean it doesn't work. Pro's and noob's are people at the end of the day. We all make mistakes and are ignorant in our own way.

Reason for change : It's a disease that can make cause you to be simple minded in game or out. Whenever you make a decision or opinion about something ask yourself "why".

Here's a test - Who would you be angered with more? A person who chose Ryze vs a Cassio, or a person who chose AP taric vs ryze
I am sure it's safe to say that most of you would be screaming at the taric for doing that. However I am sure many high elo player's would believe that choosing ryze into Cass is more troll than choosing Taric into Ryze or Cass. Of course there are better choices vs those 2 however...

I wanted to use an unorthodox pick to see how you would react. If you would be angered with the taric, ask yourself why isn't taric capable of winning vs a ryze or cassio. When you play this game you want to win right? So for you to be angered by someones pick means that they're threatening your win. Anybody and everybody loses in this game but why is it that taric threatens your win more than a ryze or cassio? Think about it for a second...

all 3 of those champs are unique and have different ways of snowballing and helping out in team fights, cassio and taric are pretty similar in team fights, but they're all unique meaning depending on how the player uses them can make or break a possible win.
Just because someone chooses a champion you're more comfortable seeing does not increase the possibility of winning.
Lesson learned : before you blow a blood vessel on the guy with the "TROLL" Pick think about it for a second!

Mental enemy number 2! - Refusing to acknowledge mistakes

This is one of the hardest things I've observed people try to conquer and admit, it's even hard for me even though I acknowledge I have the problem so I am sure it's just as hard if not harder for some of you! I am no psychology expert or something but I am sure it's safe to say this isn't a bad trait can actually be positive.

Reason for change : you need to know when you're wrong because if your mind doesn't believe you're wrong it makes it so you're completely 100% unable to make a change. No changes = no change. Your division will stay like that till' you learn and make changes. I am sure most of you have figured out that it can be applied IRL too, good stuff.

Mental enemy number 3! - Relying on the Professionals for too much mental advice
(This is a long point but necessary, please read thoroughly)

I am sure many of you are shocked by this, but it's for a good reason to not take advice from them, sure keeping up with the meta trends, builds, the new OP, etc... Is good but to mimic their playstyle could be causing you to lower your ELO rather than raise it. For one simple reason. Opportunity. When you play defensive and "I ONLY WANT TO FARM" mentally you hamstring your snowballing potential. Plain and simple you don't want to do that, Lower elo = more opportunities, higher elo = less opportunities. Having an open mind is crucial for seeing it. Also please do understand that you can end the game at 20 minutes if you do well enough where it's drained the confidence from the enemy.

Reason to change : If you want to move up in League's you need to understand the different league and the skill required to move up to the next. By thinking about how to beat bronze you will go up to silver, by thinking about how to beat up silver's you will go up from silver. By thinking about how to beat diamond players as a lower league'd player is a waste of thought because of how different the league's are. When you're Diamond think about how to beat diamond.

League is unique because almost no game will ever be the same, so many different champions, skill, match ups that it's rare to get the same match up, with same/similar results even more rare. So you need to get your mind to start thinking in a constantly changing environment

Here's my thoughts in an Irelia vs Teemo lane. Most people will be like OMG WTF GG for irelia, not exactly if you do not know Irelia you will not beat Teemo, as you all know the higher level you get the stronger you get, for some champions it has an even GREATER effect. Irelia is the prime example. Irelia can out scale teemo at higher levels IF she hasn't fed enough, to get aggressive on Teemo if you jungle isn't ganking is SUICIDE(At lower levels). As Irelia, get to ATLEAST lvl 7 without dying, it's ok to have a little less CS than Teemo since he's ranged. My point being is that you need to know champions when they're at their strongest, and how you need to play in order to win your lane vs your match up.

You must know all champions, it's overwhelming but don't sweat it! It's an experience-based type of learning, meaning the longer you play as long as you look at skills you will eventually learn them all. It's not a book-type of learning but it can be.

I hope I wasn't boring! if you found it interesting or would like to give me feedback on things I could polish or add that would be appreciated! If you take the time to analyze/examine any kind of information being given to you I just don't see the negatives!

Off topic, and weird lol but... Anybody notice how people like complexity, life, people, (some) movies, (some) games but people want thing's simple? I wonder why. give me your opinion =)

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

***TIPS*** At your request I will explain it more thoroughly.
But for now I will say, if you want to carry you want a solo role, so jungling/top/mid. ADC can obviously do that too, but for me I don't like to rely on anybody.

**Note** Everything that I've wrote on this thread is based on lower elo, in 1800+ some of the information changes.

Carry jungling : Typically what this role is a jungle with A. A lot of utility B. A lot of burst and/or CrowdControl C. Fast clear times. D. Sustain in jungle.

Now I can just tell you to buy all these champions and get good with them, but then the question comes up later.. "Why did I play this champ he's so crappy why did I listen to that guy" almost every single person I've given advice too doesn't understand why I gave the advice. So here it is...

FYI : There are a lot more to these champions but I want you to experience it for yourself before asking for advice on them, but there are some basics I will tell you about the champions.

Hecarim - Positives : A lot of utility, decent CC, has ability to "Stick" to targets with right runes/masteries, decent sustain in jungle. Why you want Hecarim is because he can build dmg and slightly tanky items and because of his W transitions into team fighting phase(If you haven't made them surrender at 20 already) really well. His ganks are insanely good! even if someone has a ward his ghost+E can give him so much MS. MS is underrated among summoners but MS allows you to get into positions faster(lol) allowing you to set things up better.

Negatives : Trash single target damage, skill set more for team fighting, makes up for it with ability to "Stick" to targets. Not many negatives

Another thing which most of you will know is when you're ganking with Hec get BEHIND your enemy with your E and then right click him into your ally(your E thrusts people out of position)

Pantheon - Positives : Although not played much, and is a hit-or-miss type of jungler, because from a jungling position he doesn't transition into team fight phase that well, he's a bruiser not a tank like hecarim/maokai/amumu etc... Pantheon is great early game because of his HIGH burst dmg and gap closer/stun on 1 spell combined with another laner with high burst dmg you can instantly drop dudes! or champions at top lane like irelia with a slow/stun you can stick to your targets and possibly even tower dive if you need too at low levels(Pantheon's passive is to block 1 auto attack/GP Q/Ez Q/ or a tower hit! and pantheon's W refreshes the passive so you can block 2 tower hits if played right)

Negatives : slow jungling, slightly better since Riot made it slightly easier for single target jungle to clear. Bad transitioning into team fighting phase if not fed

Maokai - Positives : Strong ganking gap closer w/ mini-stun, also with another mini-stun/knock back, decent sustain in jungle, average clear times, strong tank in team fights due to passive/R/and Q is a strong CC in team fights & good for peeling

Negatives - Low damage, can't carry, average clear times, this champ is only good if you know the enemy team is really good and the game will go to late game.

AP Amumu - Positives : really fast clearing times, good gap closer, heavy heavy aoe burst/constant aoe dmg forces enemies to prioritize you in team fights most of the time higher priority than other squishies.
Negatives : Really really squishy in your mind doing this build is like playing AP taric, your only job is to nuke as many people as you can before you die. This seems stupid but a good amumu lands ulti on 4-5 people + 2-3+ seconds of W and maybe 2 E's you just did the most dmg in the team fight out of all your 4 team mates combined(or atleast 3 of your teammates)

Jungling is 1 of the most pressured roles in the game, because of this I get stressed sometimes, the expectation of the jungler is very high too... Combine that with the fact that your laners might not know how to "Prep" a lane to be gank-able makes it for a lot of bad times in the jungle. Sure it's not always the laners fault but I won't get into that on this thread(Too much to type, too in-depth) If you don't want that kind of pressure I suggest other roles.

If you'd like to know more in-depth reasons for playing these champions you'd have to ask.
Top lane - Garen, Kayle, Jax, Nasus, Swain, Ryze, Teemo, Xin, Pantheon, Chogath of course other champions can snowball but these are the ones I find it easiest with.

Mid - Cho'gath, Jax,Swain,Ryze,Teemo,Xin,Pantheon,Taric,Fizz,Kha.

Thanks for reading, don't be shy to ask questions I do not get paid for this or w/e I am just simply trying to do my good deed for the day IDK lol

MrJanuary

03-06-2013

#3. Stop being comfortable with mediocrity. Like: Why did you miss that last hit on that 1 minion in that wave? Thats completely unacceptable! Was there a good reason or do you just estimate your opponents' skill as so far below your own that you really don't need to be excellent at the game to be a winner.

Fluffyknowsyou

03-06-2013

Wishy washy op

iTziLLiRL

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffyknowsyou View Post
Wishy washy op
wut?

CTElephant

03-06-2013

Answer to why people want complexity but try to simplify is simple. Everyone has a subconscious need to feel like they are excelling at something, so they choose something complex to maximize the reward for doing it, and simplify it to seem better at it than they really are. To summarize, peoples' egos get in the way of them becoming better.

iTziLLiRL

03-06-2013

Leave me your opinions please, if it's logic and thoughtful criticism leave that too. If there's something I can learn even negative I'd like to learn.

Meowlick

04-17-2013

b

BanusofAnus

04-17-2013

Good post. I always thought that by mimicking the pros consistently I would eventually get to that level. Reading this also seems to make the game more fun in being able to play more openly.