I want my loss forgiven

123456 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Proxiehunter

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aregionius View Post
That determination is really outside of my scope and the scope of Player Support.

Riot literally has Network Operation Center folks monitoring player connections and network/server stability at all times, 24 hours a day.

They're the ones who make the call for what needs to be activated based on the data and the pros and cons of who will be affected.
You couldn't tell that from the number of unacknowledged bugs in the game and the unresolved issues regarding crappy connections to LOL but excellent connections to the rest of the internet.

Havenbrook

03-06-2013

Quote:
That determination is really outside of my scope and the scope of Player Support.

Riot literally has Network Operation Center folks monitoring player connections and network/server stability at all times, 24 hours a day.

They're the ones who make the call for what needs to be activated based on the data and the pros and cons of who will be affected.
Im sorry, are you and riot retarded by any chance? You relize that if a isp goes down and 90% of your player base goes down, you are held responsible by the community.

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hellsage View Post
My only issue with that logic is that while, yes, it was a third-party ISP issue (as I expected, something beyond Riot's control), the fact of the matter is that this tsunami of disconnects and leaves that occurred last night happened to players across multiple parts of North America, independent of what ISP the player is using for their connections.
Yup, I can definitely see where you're coming from on that one, and as mentioned, NOC operates outside of Player Support so I limited in the info I have available.

Whenever Loss Prevention is activated, it's weighed against the effects on all players. (For example you wouldn't want to have half gains on all your IP, just because a few players in Australia were having some latency issues)

I'm not sure what the determination that was used in this case was, but it does include looking at the number of players affected, the timeframe, and potential fixes.

Dkbutterflavah

03-06-2013

Just wanted to raise my voice about this issue as well.

I was on the first of my promotional match. We were well on our way to a victory (my team eventually won), but all the sudden I was bounced out of the server. Because this happens once in awhile, I quickly tried to reconnect to the server, but to my surprise, I was shown the "authentication failed 1 - 5" message repeatedly. After an hour, I somehow logged back on to see that everyone else on my team given a victory, and that my record shows a "leave."

Not sure, how Riot team is able to tell its fan base that this is outside of their scope, when clearly it was not the ISP issue on the client's side. I know the danger of giving free "loss forgiveness," but it seems as though the response the Riot's support is giving just points the finger back at the client.

I don't mind, repeating the promotional matches, since I enjoy the gaming experience in itself. However, an acknowledgement or even a letter of apology would suffice in this case, instead of issuing half assed "it was the internet provider's fault excuse card."

I have heard great things about the RIOT, namely giving out RP when the server was down for a few days few years back. Testing its champions constantly to balance the game. However, this seems out of character for the RIOT company and I urge its management to take a deeper look into this issue, when it seems like MANY others have experienced this inconvenience.

PS this is my first and probably the last time I write on the forum, and I hope that would show how rare of a case this is.

Refan

03-06-2013

Uhh game is unplayable since Friday/Saturday because of lag would be nice to inform the lots of players that are posting many other topics like this: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...46899&page=155, if Riot has an idea what's going on.

Havenbrook

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkbutterflavah View Post
Just wanted to raise my voice about this issue as well.

I was on the first of my promotional match. We were well on our way to a victory (my team eventually won), but all the sudden I was bounced out of the server. Because this happens once in awhile, I quickly tried to reconnect to the server, but to my surprise, I was shown the "authentication failed 1 - 5" message repeatedly. After an hour, I somehow logged back on to see that everyone else on my team given a victory, and that my record shows a "leave."

Not sure, how Riot team is able to tell its fan base that this is outside of their scope, when clearly it was not the ISP issue on the client's side. I know the danger of giving free "loss forgiveness," but it seems as though the response the Riot's support is giving just points the finger back at the client.

I don't mind, repeating the promotional matches, since I enjoy the gaming experience in itself. However, an acknowledgement or even a letter of apology would suffice in this case, instead of issuing half assed "it was the internet provider's fault excuse card."

I have heard great things about the RIOT, namely giving out RP when the server was down for a few days few years back. Testing its champions constantly to balance the game. However, this seems out of character for the RIOT company and I urge its management to take a deeper look into this issue, when it seems like MANY others have experienced this inconvenience.

PS this is my first and probably the last time I write on the forum, and I hope that would show how rare of a case this is.
I wrote a nice "dear riot" thread, that riot and the rest of the community has so far ignored.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3196506

Sllin

03-06-2013

Quote:
Hi Balloon,

I've spoken with staff about this incident. It appears that a major 3rd party ISP had a maintenance outage during this time. This would have affected incoming clients from those ISPs or served by those backbones.

Because it is not a server side issue or under Riot's purview, Loss Forgiveness was not activated.
Wait Riot servers went offline caused my entire team to d.c and enemy team and im suppose to eat this lose because "it wasn't there fault". I guess this isp controls EUW aswell.

Cryopreservation

03-06-2013

Heya. Just wanted to pipe in here. As another NOC tech, this is definitely not an ISP issue. If it was, I wouldn't be doing anything online. But, it appears it's only connection to pvp.net. I haven't run a trace route yet, but I imagine it's probably going to end up on a subcontractor's end, rather than at Riot's data center or at my ISP's side. Last time I ran a trace route, there was 18 hops between my ISP and Riot's server, so that's plenty of room for something to go out. I did manage to connect again, after lagging(though the latency never spiked in game, it sure as hell felt like it), and then finally disconnecting.

Edit: After thinking about it for a second, it could be a major ISP's backbone that crashed or rebooted, but it's not MY ISP that crashed, and likely not anyone else's. I'm not sure if Riot uses Level3, but that isn't technically an ISP, but more like exactly what Mr. Wrenchman said it was. A backbone. I imagine it's something along those lines. I do think a Loss Prevent needs to be activated for the minor outage though, because who else takes the brunt of the beating? Riot. Does the backbone? No. They take heat from the NOC techs, but otherwise suffer no problems. Besides, a Loss Prevent isn't really a loss to you guys. I don't need one, but it'd be nice to see Riot step up and take one for the team by saying "Hey, this wasn't our fault, but if you lost due to this, we'll recover that one."

Oranjecrush

03-06-2013

Quote:
Hi Balloon,

I've spoken with staff about this incident. It appears that a major 3rd party ISP had a maintenance outage during this time. This would have affected incoming clients from those ISPs or served by those backbones.

Because it is not a server side issue or under Riot's purview, Loss Forgiveness was not activated.
It's your game. You use the third party system, not us, YOU. How are you not responsible. I want my loss forgiven too.

Mr Balloonhands

03-06-2013

I appreciate the speed and quality of your explanation of the problem, Aegionius.

However I can't help but feel like half IP gains for the people that were able to stay connected -- some of which got free wins -- is a small price to pay for satisfying an awful lot of disgruntled customers.

123456 ... 7