Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Soon-to-be 30 needs ranked player advice

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Doghealer

11-01-2010

So, at the moment, I'm level 22. Within a couple weeks or so, I'll be 30, and ready to play solo ranked games. I know sort of how it works: ban some champs, then pick from those that haven't been banned.

I wanna be ready with a champ or two I'm proficient with once that time come. So, please tell me how often each of these champs are banned, and how effective they are in high-intensity play when they AREN'T banned.

Vladimir
Sion
Katarina
Twitch
Teemo
Ezreal
Tristana
Kennen
Garen

A few of them I've played, a few others I have my eye on. Vladimir is my main champion at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Added Garen

IamGrimm

11-01-2010

Imho, play some normal games on lv 30. Just to get the feel on how it is to play with a full runebook (vs people with a full runebook).

Do not plunge into ranked immediately, get some practice first! Watching livestreams can help you get a long way as well.

Shashakiro

11-01-2010

Of the ones you listed, Twitch is the only one who you will almost ever find banned.

Effectiveness depends mostly on your skill with that particular character; but no one will complain about you playing Vlad if you're good with him.

Kennen and Tristana are also very solid choices.

Righteousness

11-01-2010

Avoid the pain of losing games and just play sona in ranked, i swear you will get free rating

Doghealer

11-01-2010

Quote:
Grimmz:
Imho, play some normal games on lv 30. Just to get the feel on how it is to play with a full runebook (vs people with a full runebook).

Do not plunge into ranked immediately, get some practice first! Watching livestreams can help you get a long way as well.

Well, duh, I wasn't going to PLUNGE in and screw over my rating. Regardless, it's impossible to know how often champs are banned without actually playing ranked matches.

I just want to know what my options are. I don't want to spend a week playing a champion for practice, just to find out that I can never play him because he's always banned.

Salruoth

11-01-2010

I'd recommend playing more normals, getting runes and learning the game @ level 30 before starting ranked... from personal experience, being on both sides of the fence (I was doing ranked when you could at level 20, so I guess it was a bit harsher) level 30 normals are a lot harder than pre-level 30 normals. Was pretty easy steamrolling before level 30, but I'd say it gets a bit harder and you'll get even more ******s at 30.

If you jump in ranked right away, 1) you're going to be jumping in right at 1200 ELO... probably get spanked 2) experience a significant learning curve that is pretty punishing since you'll get a lot of ragers, leavers, and people who, like you, are just trying ranked for the first time and are not that good.

But if you want to do it right away, be my guest. But you may want to practice before that.

Snazzy Pants

11-01-2010

Quote:
Doghealer:

Vladimir
Sion
Katarina
Twitch
Teemo
Ezreal
Tristana
Kennen
Garen

Vladimir and Garen are very good; Garen is almost broken.

The rest are tier 2 and lower - they're not bad if played well, just that there are better champions for the same roles.

Don't play ranked games, you'll only be disappointed and frustrated.

adwark

11-01-2010

Quote:
Ganonspike:
Avoid the pain of losing games and just play sona in ranked, i swear you will get free rating

As long as you remember to press qwe and occasionally r (no particular order needed :P)
She is a bit op to be honest.

Shashakiro

11-01-2010

Garen's also banned a lot.

Don't rely on being able to pick him.

AliceTheLinguist

11-01-2010

Quote:
Snazzy Pants:
Vladimir and Garen are very good; Garen is almost broken.

The rest are tier 2 and lower - they're not bad if played well, just that there are better champions for the same roles.

Don't play ranked games, you'll only be disappointed and frustrated.

Tier list means nothing unless you are playing at Elementz and company's level of play.