Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Stacking the Deck with Twisted Fate

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xarek

08-03-2009

Hello!

The following is a guide for the champion Twisted Fate. I have played him quite a bit in both pugs and arranged team, and had great success in both areas. So without any further ado, lets get on with the guide!

Twisted Fate’s Abilities:

Wild Card – this is your bread and butter. It does lots of damage, scales with AP very well, flies ridiculously far, has a low casting cost, a low cooldown, and later on will one shot a whole lane of creeps. There is no downside to this ability: pick it, spam it, profit.

Pick a Card – this is the exact opposite of Wild Card. It is unreliable, a waste of mana (that could be spent throwing wild cards), and generally is just plain terrible. Even when you end up getting it, you won’t be using it.

Gate – this ability is fantastic. This is what allows you to be everywhere on the map at once and then some. You will be alternating this with your Ultimate and Wild Card

Destiny – Your ultimate has great utility, and can be a game changer in group fights. Pick it every level that
you can.

Masteries:

21 into Offense works well (go 1, 8, or 0, 9 with the other points) for the damage you get. I've also had good luck with 30 in the utility tree (extra money, better regen, etc.). As always, stay away from the defense tree (there is nothing there that will help you more than the other two trees) and you should be fine.

Rune Pages:

Your physical / tank pages are out of the question on this one because TF is NOT a physical champion. Max AP (+69 at lvl. 18) is recommended. If you have an AP mixed with CD reduction page, that will probably work as well.

Summoner abilities (in priority):

1. Flash is fantastic for squishy AP champions, and TF is no exception. Although you can sometimes use it to ensure a kill, I'd advise keeping it off CD for defensive reasons. You should pretty much always take this with Twisted Fate.

2. A) Clairvoyance. If you are going to be zipping around the map, why not drop a ward while you are there?

B) Boost. More survival again. Depends on if you feel you need it or not.

Item Build, First Half:

Alright! Now we are getting into the good stuff.

Right off the bat, buy a Meki Pendant (390, 7 mp5). TOTAL: 390

The next time you return to the fountain, you should have at least enough for the boots of speed (350). If you have more, grab an amplifying tome (435) and the sorcerer's shoes recipe (140). TOTAL: 925

Next is your first Philosopher's stone. Grab the a Regrowth Pendant (475) to go along with the Meki Pendant you already have, and snag the recipe for (250). TOTAL: 1115

Make another Philosopher's stone. TOTAL 1115

Now that mana regen is taken care of, it's time to make some Kage's lucky picks. All you need is an amplifying tome (435) and the recipe (330). TOTAL 765

Another Lucky Pick. TOTAL 765

Another Lucky Pick. TOTAL 765

This concludes the first half of the item build.

----------------------------------------

Item Build, Second Half.

From now on you are buying the big items in a single shot (so I won't got into the mats).

Return to base when you have roughly 3500, sell a philosopher's stone, and Pick up a Zhonya's Ring.

When you have roughly 3200, sell a Lucky Pick and buy the Lich's Bane

When you have roughly 2800, sell a Lucky Pick and buy a Rod of Ages

When you have roughly 2700, sell your last Philosopher's stone and buy a Archangel's Staff

When you have roughly 2500, sell your last Lucky Pick and buy an Abyssal Scepter.

----------------------------------------

Skill Pick Order:

1. Wild Card (Q)
2. Gate (E)
3. Wild Card
4. Gate
5. Wild Card
6. Destiny (R)
7. Wild Card
8. Gate
9. Wild Card
10. Gate
11. Destiny
12. Gate
13. Pick a Card (E)
14. Pick a Card
15. Pick a Card
16. Destiny
17. Pick a Card
18. Pick a Card

Why this build works – This build works because Lane Pushing is a valid strategy for winning, and with this build Twisted Fate can push all three lanes at once. Late in the game, you can not only push and defend, but score plenty of Champion kills with a high damaging nuke followed by a very big single physical attack.

Playstyle:

The following is a walkthrough on how to play as the card master through the level ranges. Afterwards, I'll go over some tricks and tips that can be useful at all levels.

Start of the game, levels 1-6:

If you can get a solo lane, take it. Spam Wild Cards (you're going to doing this a lot) down the lane at the creeps. Try and line up your shots to hit enemy champions as well, but the creeps come first. At rank 1, you can cast it quite a few times because of the Meki you bought. Slow down a bit when you hit level 2 so you have more mana for rank two (level 3). When you run out, blue pill to the base, buy what you can, and while standing on the fountain gate back. this will charge your mana back to full while gate is casting and ensure you a full bar when you get back.

Keep this up in your lane until level 6, or until the game drastically changes (group warfare, etc.)

Mid game, levels 7-12.

Farming is the name of the game at this point. You're job is not so much to help in the group combat, but to keep all three lanes pushed at all times. Use gate and blue pill to your advantage. Choose the lane that the opposing team has pushed furthest on, and clear it out. Around level 11-12 you should be one shotting the caster creeps, and almost one shotting the soldier creeps. Also, 2-3 of your cards will send almost any non-tank champion running. Don't worry about chasing yet, just push out the lane, and move to the next one.

Let the creeps do the pushing too. Don't hang around a tower once you get to it, clear the last wave if one is coming, and get the hell out of dodge, because the enemy team (if they are smart) will try and gank you if they can.

Late game, levels 13-17.

Here is where TF starts to become a beast. You should have all of your money items, but most likely none of the end game ones, or only the Zhonya's. Do everything you were doing at 7-12, but now you can particpate in the groups pushes as well. With 5 enemy champions, it's easy to hit at least 1-2 of them with a card toss, and they are going to hurt at this point (about 400 a hit at this level). Hitting your Ultimate at the right time can completely swing the battle in your team's favor.

End game, level 18.

If the game goes this far, Twisted Fate is now officially an all out beast. All that farming and all those gold/5 items have paid off, as you should have Zhonya's and Lich's Bane at least, and probably even the Rod of Ages. Your cards should hit for about 800, and the following attack will hit for 600. Instead of staying at max range, you can start to close the gap in group fights. Hit Wild cards, then do a single attack. Repeat for maximum damage.

Tips and Tricks:

If an enemy champion escapes at low health, don't let them get away! Teleport ahead of them (preferably into a shrub) and wait for them to pass. When they get close, aim a Wild Card to hit them as they pass and finish them off.

You don't always have to use your ultimate in group fights. Since you can use it from anywhere on the map, keep an eye out for a friendly in trouble, or an enemy about to get away. Pop it in order to ensure your allies escape or your enemies demise.

Wild Cards have a VERY long range. Use this to your advantage. In the early game, it means you can stay away from those pesky melee champions and still get your creep kills in. In group combat, it means you can stand off to the side and throw cards from odd positions. Try and tuck yourself away somewhere protected, like behind a line of trees or in the shrubs. Your cards will pass through unmitigated, and you can simply stand there and spam from safety.

Don't forget that your ultimate lowers the casting time of your gate! If you REALLY need to get away, pop your ult and gate out in the blink of an eye.

Just because you are great lane pusher doesn't mean you aren't a great lane defender. If they decide to group up and push, stand by your tower and when the creeps get in range, start spamming Wild Cards. Nothing takes the steam out of a push like some heavy initial champion damage and all of the creeps dieing in one shot.

Take a note if they have a lot of clairvoyance at the start of the game. Remember, your cards go far, so just because you aren't in the immediate sight one doesn't mean they can't see your cards flying around and figure out where you are.

Don't even bother using pick a card. In all honesty, it's a waste of mana that could be spent spamming Wild Cards.

Xarek

08-03-2009

Edited to try and look more like Larias's recommendations.

Adamantium

Adjudicator

08-03-2009

+1 for the title alone!

Rusherf4g

08-03-2009

Nice...

will help me play Twisted Fate!

Faro

Recruiter

08-03-2009

I feel like I should mention this because I went about 35-2 (w-l) last weekend on Twisted Fate. I normally start with a spellbook+hp pot because a spellbook can tech into Sorc boots if the lane involves playing dodge ball (another cardmaster, cry OP, Karthas, etc), a Fiendish Codex if you're running your lane, and a Majai's if you get a kill or two.

Once I get all 3 I pick up Tear-->lichbane-->archangel-->zarhym's ring. Games normally don't go past archangel, and I'm usually six levels ahead of the other team. Overall, solid guide .

Edit: I also use Pick a Card A LOT. It's usually defensively but occasionally I have to chase someone down and getting that gold card is the difference between the good and the great. Also, PaC for Lichbane procs is ridiculous when you're backdooring an inhib.

Echelon

08-04-2009

His bread and butter no doubt is wild cards, but putting pick a card down so harshly is a bit much.. its like 25 mana, and when atking a guy in between cardcasts a red card means an easy kill for you. It's obviously not too good, but clicking W before going into a fight doesnt take too much focus.

Threads

Adjudicator

08-04-2009

I personally rush the stone first then take shoes.
from here the two choices are stack picks then use those to farm.
or just spam card, pill and gate to farm every lane. killing a creep wave in 1-2 cards depending on luck (range creeps take 1 card and melee take two)

aiming cards is another issue. ^_^
I am hoping/expecting that his AP scaling gets nerfed soon.

CaptHarlock

08-04-2009

I say that an early Tear is almost a must. His wild cards has such a low cd that you'll be spamming it all the time. Thus, you'll gain great staying power and will almost never run out of mana. I've tried builds w/o an early game tear, and you don't last that long in a lane before you have to bp and gate back.

Actually, i get tear before any other item after mek pendant.

Also, if you do the math for the Pick, that's 5 gold per 10 seconds. So, 30 gold per minute. Where you need the items the most is around the 20-30 minute mark, so, that's about 10-20 minutes you'll have the pick for it to be worth while.

So, that's about 300-600 gold depending on the game. You're only making about 100 extra gold per pick taking into account that you probably got it 10 minutes into the game, at the same time. I say if you can get it around the 5 minute mark after tear, it's a decent item to have, but I'd rather get something that'll help you out instantly. I'd say you have to gauge how the game is going to warrant getting the item.

Xarek

08-04-2009

On Pick a Card -- I'll agree, it's probably a little better than I give it credit for, there's just some things I really don't like about it. First off, its random, and I hate leaving things in a game like this to chance. Second, it means you are in melee range early in order to use it, which can spell disaster for TF early on. And third I simply just think its more important to get Gate and Wild Cards maxed first for max damage and porting speed (reduced CD).

On the item build -- This is more up in the air than anything else. I've been going the money build because its decent regen / damage, and it make his endgame gear setup devastating. This is great if the game goes long (like they have been for me, at least 45 mins+) but still doesn't totally gimp him for the first part of the game. However, as long as you are buying mana regen items and ability power gear, you really can't go wrong, so i'll just leave it up to personal preference.

Faro

Recruiter

08-04-2009

I think the reason most people don't go for the money build is because of how obscenely good Twisted Fate is at getting money without it.