DPS Malphite, is it possible?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Burger Betty

11-01-2010

I love playing stupid builds on champs with the hope that they'll be awesome and viable. Right now I'm looking at DPS Malphite. I only tested it once and had a mediocre game, 4/6/8 or some such, with our team losing because we had no tank (lol), but I'm not 100% discouraged yet because looking at Malphite, he has all the **** to be a pro DPS. He has a slow to chase, his ulti to close the gap and initiate, a steroid that buffs his AD and an attack speed debuff for whomever he's meleeing. He also has relatively high base attack damage, 115 at level 18, the same as Tryndamere, Poppy and probably a few others.

So the question is, has anyone been brave enough to test out straight up DPS Malphite and if so, what was the result? What kinds of builds did you use or would you recommend? I know he has major mana problems and he also needs some attack speed to get more benefit from Brutal Strikes, but I haven't plotted out a solid build yet.

FrostReaver

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-01-2010

He used to be incredibly good, then they nerfed his damage bonus and he became worthless.
GJ nerfing something that no one even mentioned. Brilliant.

Burger Betty

11-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostReaver View Post
He used to be incredibly good, then they nerfed his damage bonus and he became worthless.
GJ nerfing something that no one even mentioned. Brilliant.
He still gets a 40% AD buff with max Brutal Strikes though. That's an extra 120 damage if you had 300 AD. It doesn't seem bad to me?

GrĂ¯moire

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-01-2010

I've always been a fan of running him DPS. I usually start with IE, then an Executioner's Calling for the crit and life-steal, Starks next and then some sort of tanky item whether that be SF, BV, or a Mallet. Phantom Dancer is also really nice. Lemme tell ya, I've crit for over 1400 back when he had the 70% buff with this build =P. I believe I also had Last Whisper that time....

Anywho, I found it to be a decent build, but he's just so **** squishy that if I ever ulted into a team fight, I got raped almost instantly. I haven't played him recently, but I'll definitely have to try this build out on him again...

The Drippy Sink

11-01-2010

The best you can hope for is to keep trying until you find something that works. I'd recommend running some Crit + Armor/Damage items.

Madred's or Wriggles, maybe
Atma's
Inf Edge

-shrug-

Really not too sure, because of how slow Malph's AS is. You need to have him hitting hard every time he makes contact. He'll probably hit something like Mundo, but not quite as heavy. His survivability in AD mode is questionable, but I'd suggest a health + Armor item. Boosts his shield, boosts his regular stats, armor stacks with Ground Slam and Armor/AD stacks with Brutal strikes.

Plus Malph's a great farmer and can jungle, too.

Sheen and Trinity Force would probably be really nice on him, too, come to think of it.

Gunkuu

11-01-2010

I prefer magic pen malphite but I've seen some dps malphites do okay.

Also brutal strikes overall is better than how it was before.

Sure 70% extra attack is kawaii, but 40% is nothing to scoff at, plus now gives a ton of armor that then SYNERGIES with E and passive. I'd think 70% and 40% armor would be too much. I much rather have it how it is now.

SoggyPants

11-01-2010

If you dont build him loaded with armor then you're missing out on his strengths and totally misusing the champion. Armor is extremely important to Malphite.

If you want to make him do damage then throw on a pair of atk speed boots and buy Atmas Impaler. The rest of his items should be life/armor/resists.

FrostReaver

11-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumsberg View Post
He still gets a 40% AD buff with max Brutal Strikes though. That's an extra 120 damage if you had 300 AD. It doesn't seem bad to me?
His base attack speed is far too low for him to be considered a viable dps character now. Others do what he does yet better(yi, jax, trynd).