Which punishment do you think should be enough to make toxic players change behaviour

Restricted game chat for X number of played games 92 38.02%
Disabled skin changing for X number of played games 34 14.05%
No IP/XP gain for X number of played games 93 38.43%
Ability to play only 1 Ranked game daily until X number of played games 59 24.38%
Ribbon for being toxic and matchmaking them with other flagged players forX number of played games 104 42.98%
All of the above punishments X number of played games 66 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Punishment alternatives that discourage toxic players

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phobia00

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yhufir View Post

2) I my small amount of book learning (psychology classes) I found out that positive reinforcement works better than negative reinforcement. In short, rewarding players for good behavior, theoretically, works better than punishing bad behavior. Which brings me to my last, but not least, point...
Yes,we are on the same opinion about this,put it in my first Edit.I am not really comfortable with the forum functions to be able to put it in the poll now(If it is possibble without losing the accumulated votes to begin with)

Homunkulusgnom

07-11-2013

Really good idea!

Let's say the ribbon thingy is going to be built in.
Don't you think flagging a number of games is a rather uneffective way? I say this because you all may have the same thought: a kid that is punished and that cannot leave the house for 2 days is just going to sit there waiting for his permittance. However, if he earns his way out of the house he will have learned something.
Once a player got a negative ribbon he should be able to earn his freedom again in some point instead of just waiting for the game to pass.

There are 2 options:

First option:

A player having a "toxic ribbon" is still queued with other players (ones without toxic ribbon).
After the game, every player that has neither started the queue with the toxic player nor is a friend of the toxic player can choose and vote one of the 3 following Judgements:

1)Negative, the player continues to be toxic. (And thus keeps his ribbon) -1
2)Neutral (Cannot judge because of too less information, no action taken) 0
3)Positive, the player had a positive influence on the game/team. +1

At a certain value, lets say lucker number 7, the player is granted an unflag. The value can be increased and decreased by player votes.
Please note: Playerst that are not allowed to vote are:
Players flagged as 'toxic'
Friends of the subject
Summoners that have started the queue with the subject

I think this makes the player really think about what he has to change instead of just waiting for the games pass by.

2nd option
I just forgot that one while I was writing option 1. Terribly sorry.

Cheers

Ada Wong

07-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Interesting poll.

We've investigated and done research on all of the options you've posted, so I'm very curious to see how players vote. An important note that I mentioned in the PBE testing post with Restricted Chat Mode is that it's only the first experiment we are running in a series that identify features that will ultimately replace the vast majority of bans in League of Legends. We agree that Restricted Chat Mode won't be effective against all types of toxic behaviors--mainly the verbal ones. However, one experiment isn't supposed to address all toxic behaviors.

In addition, every experiment we are testing ties punishment to games played, and not duration of time.
Honestly it takes actually playing games with Toxic players to understand their behavior not just some science PHD. Can you explain to me why recently Justin I think his name was said he was going to commit acts of terrorism in league, and can you explain why someone else did the same thing recently both in jail right now.

But really Lyte none of your solutions do any good, The Tribunal (IS ABUSED) because of trolls been falsely punished for it many times already. Like every single day out of 8+ games I get at least 4 games with Trolls, Ragers, People who do not communicate and start debates usually starts pregame, and I have to stay and play with these people and try to win late game even when they all are verbally abusive in chat.

Chat Restrictions does not work, Last time I got warning/punish by tribunal I was reported falsely in like 4 games which appear in the tribunal for (OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE) I reviewed the log no offensive language, I also record all my games, I record teamspeak, ventrilo, everything on my screen so I know what is said when and where and I know that there was no offensive language but that my team in those games always debated started debates pregame over Lane calls, verbally abused with solicit reports in chat.

But funny thing is Tribunal Doesn't read all chat, Nor does the other players get punished who curse, call people fa*'s talk about peoples mothers tell people to go end it RL and so on.

You want a solution Riot I will tell you what will really help, none of what you all are doing is fixing the game.

A. We need the Tribunal Fixes, and a way to appeal false tribunal punishments while it is (Rare) that Tribunal is wrong and players do deserve the ban we still need a way to appeal I have seen a case recently where a guy never cursed was troll reported just like me long time league player and he got a perm ban.

B. We need Responsible Tribunal Judges who Review every piece of evidence, take everything said into chat into consideration, we need Pregame Logs, and Recordings of all games, and end game chatlogs + An option to punish other players in the same game themselves, you see if we had this option to punish other players as well perhaps players who cursed others wouldn't falsely report because they can be punished just as well.

I am not saying I am totally innocent of not being negative heck every game I play there is someone I could report for negativity, being a bit negative to me like we might loose if we don't do this, or something isn't reportable I wont report it but if some idiot starts spamming (WERE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!) more than once then I will. (However last time I was reported I wasn't punished for negative behavior really I was punished for offensive language, and it was false reports, and fail tribunal. I would say every 3-6 months I find a warning or suspension on my account with all the games I play which is over what seems to be 50+ Maybe even more than 100 when I go on a league spree, and those reports can add up against a user quite fast.?

C. We need Match-Making system for when we solo Q up for things so we can get matched to the role we are playing with the team, and players who troll it add a new option pregame to report the troll if its abused/trolled with. ( This would solve a lot of disputes with lane players after all this is the reason I see most people being toxic.)

With all Respect Riot Games, And GM's you really should make a name like an ordinary player and come play some games with some trolls so you can really see what Fuels trolls in fact put yourselves in low elo bronze 5 and just hit random Q, and watch chat then maybe you can understand and learn what fuels toxic players and what to do about it.

P.S Restricting chat during the last 5 games I think it was that I played did no good all it did was in 2 of my games where my team actually wanted to communicate ruin communication especially given the fact there was never any offensive language used.

Flyingbox

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-11-2013

So you necrothread to post an argument that's wrong and cites no back up for these "false punishments".

Onegarion

07-11-2013

I know its an old thread from about 4 months ago, but I think some of the ideas could still work. Personally I'm looking at the hit to IP/XP. I don't think it should be a freeze, but a flat % lower. Something like 50% that will slow someone down and make them think about their game (this mainly affects < 30 imo). Also I think it hurts those lvl 30 in ranked when maybe they take a hit to their LP with a % decrease as well. I don't think and increase on wins does much since they would have to fight to counter that % decrease.

I also like the idea of game "bans" and not time bans (i've never been banned so if Riot has implemented this skip this paragraph). I think being forced to play out the "ban" (since it wouldn't be a true ban if you can still play) would lower the chances of a smurf account being made by a toxic player. Of course it doesn't mean no toxic player will ever make a smurf ever again, but if their main is hit with something that isn't a time ban I think we can get them to keep playing on their main and not ruining new players as much.

Also this is what JadaDragonFlower does. Every post about the tribunal and such is like this. He never changes his tune and I've seen his reform cards and clearly he isn't letting it sink in.

Arizel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-11-2013

I would like to offer my own idea for a discouragement/punishment for toxic behavior, though this idea applies to Ranked Games.

If a player is convicted of toxic behavior in the tribunal and gets a suspension/temporary ban in the process, they should lose an entire Tier in Ranked Play in ALL of their Queues whether it is twisted tree line, solo summoners rift or ranked 5 v 5 summoners rift. For any player that seeks to prove themselves and attain a higher rank, this is a huge blow considering how hard it is to actually advance in the Season 3 ranked system. I'm sure there are more than a few people that got carried to their respective ranks through friends or duo queues with someone in several Tiers higher than they originally deserved. It would help with weeding out some of them as well as the more toxic players in the higher ranks. By weed out, I don't mean remove completely from the game, but i really do think it will discourage people from openly attacking or making incredibly snide remarks about other players and focus instead on winning the game.

Those that got to those tiers illegitimately, then lose them will either lose interest in ranked altogether or realize the error of their ways and be more motivated to do it the right way.

ValtKorr

07-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Interesting poll.

We've investigated and done research on all of the options you've posted, so I'm very curious to see how players vote. An important note that I mentioned in the PBE testing post with Restricted Chat Mode is that it's only the first experiment we are running in a series that identify features that will ultimately replace the vast majority of bans in League of Legends. We agree that Restricted Chat Mode won't be effective against all types of toxic behaviors--mainly the verbal ones. However, one experiment isn't supposed to address all toxic behaviors.

In addition, every experiment we are testing ties punishment to games played, and not duration of time.
this still doesn't do any good to the trolls that just feed for the fun on making others lose and have no fun in the game or the people that just leave/afk or just never connect in the first place that's more what im worried about i can always mute some that's running there mouth but Ive been knocked out of my bronze 1 promo 3 times now and put back into bronze 2 so many times its not even funny BC of of the said reasons above don't get me wrong some games i do bad which is on me but 75% of games its BC of trolls

Xxx Duende xxX

07-11-2013

All of these options are terrible, makes you wonder if people will want to play this game again. There is a lot of free games out there though not so many like League of Legends, but competition is around the corner and I don't think that people are going to take too kind to these actions.

Xxx Duende xxX

07-11-2013

Ribbon for being toxic is by far the worse! how are you going to stigmatize a player for their past is just immoral, what is wrong with you?.........

Phobia00

11-01-2013

Some of you guys made some mistakes here.These are not my ideas,these are the ideas of players I had talks with about the community.Personally I still think that getting lower IP would be a punishment for everyone who doesn't own all champions.The other favourite solution for me is that players can't play ranked games until they finished a few normals.In a community where people liek to ridicule each other for being even one division lower,toxic players would hate it to be unable to play ranked and show off.