Which punishment do you think should be enough to make toxic players change behaviour

Restricted game chat for X number of played games 92 38.02%
Disabled skin changing for X number of played games 34 14.05%
No IP/XP gain for X number of played games 93 38.43%
Ability to play only 1 Ranked game daily until X number of played games 59 24.38%
Ribbon for being toxic and matchmaking them with other flagged players forX number of played games 104 42.98%
All of the above punishments X number of played games 66 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Punishment alternatives that discourage toxic players

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Ghost Orchid

03-06-2013

How about getting a time ban + getting hit a level. For example, if you're a level 30 and you're found guilty, you're down to level 29. Not only do you not get to play, you are cut off from ranked play, essentially until you learn how to 'play nice.' This could work to prevent people who rage in ranked for whatever reason to learn how to chill, otherwise they'll just be cut off for a good long while. Maybe it could scale. 1 level for first ban, 5 or whatever for second, and so on.

Mirror

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost Orchid View Post
How about getting a time ban + getting hit a level. For example, if you're a level 30 and you're found guilty, you're down to level 29. Not only do you not get to play, you are cut off from ranked play, essentially until you learn how to 'play nice.' This could work to prevent people who rage in ranked for whatever reason to learn how to chill, otherwise they'll just be cut off for a good long while. Maybe it could scale. 1 level for first ban, 5 or whatever for second, and so on.
The problem there is that, after a certain point, you're forcing the community's newest players to play with the community's most negative personalities. =[

Spiphel

03-06-2013

the community's newest players already put up with smurfs and previously banned players.

Mirror

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiphel View Post
the community's newest players already put up with smurfs and previously banned players.
Exacerbating that problem by saying "You get to keep your current account, too!" is sending the wrong message. Temporary suspensions already communicate the idea that your current behavior is unacceptable without also throwing in a curveball that increases your exposure to newer players.

SoresuMakashi

03-06-2013

1) Valid. Riot currently experimenting with this approach.
2) Obviously does not address a large portion of the user base, so no.
3) Valid and worth a try IMO.
4) That just moves the problem to normal games, it doesn't fix anything and makes the normal-queueing community suffer for no real reason. Hell, it's probably why they play normals in the first place. Also does not address < level 30 toxic players, which includes permabanned smurfs.
5) Prisoner's Island has been discussed by Lyte before. You could probably google his explanation.

Ada Wong

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Interesting poll.

We've investigated and done research on all of the options you've posted, so I'm very curious to see how players vote. An important note that I mentioned in the PBE testing post with Restricted Chat Mode is that it's only the first experiment we are running in a series that identify features that will ultimately replace the vast majority of bans in League of Legends. We agree that Restricted Chat Mode won't be effective against all types of toxic behaviors--mainly the verbal ones. However, one experiment isn't supposed to address all toxic behaviors.

In addition, every experiment we are testing ties punishment to games played, and not duration of time.
And again LYTE, and the other people who actually manage League OF Legends as a company really do not know how to fix it I will give you the solutions plain and simple.

1. Give us the ability to Mute Pings once again when X player is muted no more pings can be hear at all.

2. Give us a match making system so we can select our role and be matched with others playing by a meta this way basically its not trolled by team like the last 20 or so games today only about 5 or 6 decent because all the rest were troll players and if you look at the statistics all the games that I have won were because no one debated me and let me play how I wish and work as a team with ganks, meanwhile all others where they tried to tell me to duo were a loss because they wouldn't communicate or settle pre game and trolled it. " I HAVE NO ABILITY to leave a game without a time punishment either, and going AFK is not an option so my only option left is to kill creeps or something and shoot for end game which chances are I wouldnt be very helpful until 30-50 minute mark if the game lasts that long in an epic troll situation.

3. Give us a Vote Kick, or Vote to end game so that if players are trolling prematch we can vote to start a new game with new players or something.

4. Monitor your own tribunal for FALSE BANS, like seriously last 2 or 3 suspensions I ever had on my ACCOUNT BY "TRIBUNAL" were not TOXIC, BUT RIOT refused to review them meanwhile I am threatend in game by players, Cursed out even in my own games I was reported in & There WAS NO Justice, how Riot can not give this game an ESRB rating of Rated MATURE is beyond me. ( This is why some players are outraged, while most tribunal reports I read are deserving of punishment very few I read are not but false Punish.)

5. Step up the bans Start banning HARDWARE Information not just IP while they are easy to get around as I have said many times not all these 13 year old kids know how and they would be forever locked until buying a new PC or hardware update.

Phobia00

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Interesting poll.

We've investigated and done research on all of the options you've posted, so I'm very curious to see how players vote. An important note that I mentioned in the PBE testing post with Restricted Chat Mode is that it's only the first experiment we are running in a series that identify features that will ultimately replace the vast majority of bans in League of Legends. We agree that Restricted Chat Mode won't be effective against all types of toxic behaviors--mainly the verbal ones. However, one experiment isn't supposed to address all toxic behaviors.

In addition, every experiment we are testing ties punishment to games played, and not duration of time.
Good to know.I am mainly on euw,and we get a lot less info about these things,so i might be a bit behind about what is happening.It just felt like it would be nice to have as many opinions as we can get,maybe give you guys some ideas and make more contact with the playerbase.Happy to hear the new punishment system will be based on games played.

Still thinking though that rewarding in a non-balance shifting way might be a stronger force than punishing,maybe you guys should experiment along those lines too. ^^

Thanks for reading and answering

slamor

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadaDragonFlower View Post
And again LYTE, and the other people who actually manage League OF Legends as a company really do not know how to fix it I will give you the solutions plain and simple.

1. Give us the ability to Mute Pings once again when X player is muted no more pings can be hear at all.

2. Give us a match making system so we can select our role and be matched with others playing by a meta this way basically its not trolled by team like the last 20 or so games today only about 5 or 6 decent because all the rest were troll players and if you look at the statistics all the games that I have won were because no one debated me and let me play how I wish and work as a team with ganks, meanwhile all others where they tried to tell me to duo were a loss because they wouldn't communicate or settle pre game and trolled it. " I HAVE NO ABILITY to leave a game without a time punishment either, and going AFK is not an option so my only option left is to kill creeps or something and shoot for end game which chances are I wouldnt be very helpful until 30-50 minute mark if the game lasts that long in an epic troll situation.

3. Give us a Vote Kick, or Vote to end game so that if players are trolling prematch we can vote to start a new game with new players or something.

4. Monitor your own tribunal for FALSE BANS, like seriously last 2 or 3 suspensions I ever had on my ACCOUNT BY "TRIBUNAL" were not TOXIC, BUT RIOT refused to review them meanwhile I am threatend in game by players, Cursed out even in my own games I was reported in & There WAS NO Justice, how Riot can not give this game an ESRB rating of Rated MATURE is beyond me. ( This is why some players are outraged, while most tribunal reports I read are deserving of punishment very few I read are not but false Punish.)

5. Step up the bans Start banning HARDWARE Information not just IP while they are easy to get around as I have said many times not all these 13 year old kids know how and they would be forever locked until buying a new PC or hardware update.
You can not lock hardware information without spyware and that is illegal.

Just a forum acc

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamor View Post
You can not lock hardware information without spyware and that is illegal.
You can get MAC address, AFAIK. But it can be changed... not by everyone, but it can. Well, it's at least better than IP bans.

Phobia00

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadaDragonFlower View Post

1.Maybe a lower capped restriction on pings could be working,but muting for the whole game can hurt communication considering most ping-spammers only do it once a game,and it happens only on occasions.

2.That would take the ability from players to experiment and would freeze the meta,which is normally an ever changing thing.I think not playing by the meta should not be considered trolling.Not to mention,that it wouldn't change anything,people could choose they go "support" but simply pick an Ad carry and do whatever they want.A system like this would be either too restricting or simply not working and just add complication without having any real effect.

3. Vote kicking would be a great and fun thing....for trolls.Premades could votekick for fun,people who think the current meta is the only way to play would votekick all those who theorycraft or try to come up with new strategies.Queue times would increase,trolls would have an extra way of being annoying and experimenting get shut down.

4.I still believe in Tribunal and think it is a good idea,but needs a lot of improvement.Punish spamming and false bans/pardons are a true problem,though normally after Tribunal votes punish on a case a Riot employee checks on it and decides on the punishment,so these false sentences are supposed to be minimal.