Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Hang] UserKernel Not Responding

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mike4Real

03-05-2013

While I can play LoL just fine with this new client, I got much better FPS on the PBE client. What's with this UserKernel process that just hangs the entire time that I'm playing. Does this happen to everyone else too or just me? I usually force quit it, and I'm still able to play anyway. So why is it there, and why would it be hanging?

AlishaShatogi

03-05-2013

UserKernel is apparently what gives you the LoL logo before the launcher, and then forgets to kill itself.

I have the same annoyance.

Mike4Real

03-06-2013

Interesting. I guess I'll just keep force quitting it after start-up. I wonder if this is happening to everyone and maybe its not a big deal. Riot clarification would be cool.

Ser3n1ty

03-10-2013

it happens to me2 so i just close it and it's ok?

Mike4Real

03-12-2013

Well I force quit it every time since its hanging and not working properly anyway. Once you are logged in it seems totally fine to force quit it. I hope Riot responds to this or just fixes it in the next patch. Pretty weird to have so many processes for one application, I can see 2 but 4? C'mon lol.

Mike4Real

03-16-2013

Bump, the UserKernel process on PBE seems to be functioning slightly better, it at least has a progress bar below it. However it also stops responding and hangs shortly after it is opened as well.

Any word from Riot if this is functioning as intended? Because it doesn't seem like it.

Carpe Vincere

03-18-2013

After my UserKernel crashed I had to re-download the entire thing.

Mike4Real

03-22-2013

Issue is still present, bump.

Dataslave

Adjudicator

03-22-2013

Does this happen immediately after a reboot, or is it happening only after you've launched and stopped the LoL client several times? I've noticed it hangs around for a while after you force kill other parts of the game, and launching LoL again detects it and asks you to close it before launching a new UserKernel.

Mike4Real

03-23-2013

Basically anytime I open the LoL Client regardless of how recently I rebooted my computer, an application called "UserKernel" starts beforehand with seemingly no purpose. I believe it is what causes the League of Legends logo to appear on my screen before the client starts. Immediately after I hit play and log in, the process hangs AKA its not responding. I do not mean 'hangs' around as in its there too long I mean it 'hangs' as in its messing up, or perhaps has a memory leak or something. It doesn't really happen after I open and close the client a bunch like you asked. Its something that happens every time I wish to play.

I can go into Activity Monitor and see "UserKernel (Not Responding)" in red so something is obviously going wrong. I can leave it open while I play with seemingly no ill affects, or I can force quit it, also with no ill effect to the client. I believe the application is perhaps supposed to quit itself after the logo leaves my screen, but it fails to do so.