Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Hiring Experienced Game Designers

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Desertfish

03-25-2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1obnx0b3dXI

withfury

03-25-2013

Hear me out riot should make Doran, we've all used the Dorans blade, ring, and shield but we want to play as the creator. What if you guys created Doran and you buy a Dorans ring first and you have 4 AP spells, buy a Dorans blade have 4 ad spells, buy a Dorans shield do 4 support/tank spells. I know i'm asking alot but i've been wanting this kind of character so bad and i think this would create so much hype in the league community people would flip out at the fact they are using the character that they've used the items for there whole league life.

sincerely,

withfury
goldenbeast23
briggslee

Beli

03-25-2013

I just applied for a job at Riot last week. I read that they are swamped it may be a long while until I hear anything back. The anticipation is killing me. xD

humenbucket0

03-26-2013

i love playing this game and i was in adv 3d animation and gaming ......can i work for ya lol

Duke Dryfocker

03-26-2013

I designed an awesome game called, "I Win" ! You have to play it! I'm a freelancer looking for a company TY

TomWellingPro

03-26-2013

I don't have a diploma in game designing but it's the easiest thing ever, wish I could work for you guys but I'm not located in the U.S.

Arushni

03-26-2013

Heh. I used to think working in the game industry would be great. Went to school for it, got my degree... and then I just happened to graduate not long after the time EA laid off 1000 employees across dozens of companies as part of their restructuring (something that happens quite frequently, actually). That pretty much kissed my chances of making it in any time soon good bye, because I had no work experience (save some in-house/college mod work), and that was just 1000 more people out there that did.

Then, I was fortunate enough to have a friend in the industry and I got to watch how he lives his life, jumping from job to job, state to state - moving all over the country every year or two for one reason or another (most frequently company bankruptcy)... and then I thought; "I don't even like leaving my house, let alone the state", and I don't like being forced to look for a job every year or two because the most volatile industry in the entire world, in damn near the worst economy in the world, grows too fast and is forced to cut its losses all the damn time. If there is an industry out there that hates its work force the most, it's definitely this one.

I'm sure working at Riot is all kinds of fun, but I'd hate to be around when Riot grows too big, thinks their game is too old, and decides they need to make a sequel that has a wildly varying chance of being a hit or ****. I'd hate to be there when League of Legends is no longer that interesting to anyone anymore... because then it's likely I'd be stuck in the lousiest state without a job, that happens to have the most ridiculous laws, damn near the highest cost of living, and with probably the worst economy in the nation (in the worst economy in the world! double whammy!).

Job security? Not bloody likely.

I like the game you make, Riot... for now. Having been banned in the past for talking an incredible amount of ****, let me just say that I'm not even angry any more; you do your thing and that's your right. I truly wish you all the best... but even the most heavily sugar-coated promises you make would not convince me that this is the route any sane person should go. I'll stick with my stress free 8-5 that affords me over a hundred hours of PTO every 6 months... where I work 3 days a week at work and the rest from home pretty much doing whatever I like until I'm called on... and where I can conceivably work this job until the day I grow tired of it and decide to retire with my nice, fat steady income... in a state that is one of the very, very few in the entire country that can actually boast of having a budget surplus every single year.

Besides; when the zombie apocalypse hits, I certainly don't want to be stuck in "peace-loving" California.

This is mostly just a warning to all the people out there that think working in the game industry is all fun and games - it's not. Be prepared to work hard and a lot, to live on basically scraps, and always have that doom and gloom peeking over your shoulder... the industry simply doesn't like you or care for your well-being, no matter what Riot would have you believe (but it isn't personal, so don't get me wrong). It is not a job you work to get any type of retirement out of it, and you'll be wishing you chose something that did when it comes down to that point... but all this is assuming you're not the next golden-child of the industry (ie. Will Wright, or some other brainiac that comes up with a million dollar idea). If you are, congratulations - have at it (not that you would ever know until it happens...). If you're not, which is 99.9% of you; do yourself a favor and pick a different career.

I've also never quite understood why the majority of studios think they need to be in California, and I question the call for senior designers on a forum that is populated mostly with trolls and kids... but I guess it couldn't hurt. That is definitely a diamond in the rough, though.

Jjman75

03-27-2013

i want to go to college so i can educate myself to one day work on league of legends and Esports as well ah such a long road ahead

fmwyso

Recruiter

03-27-2013

Quote:
Arushni:
This is mostly just a warning to all the people out there that think working in the game industry is all fun in games - it's not. Be prepared to work hard and a lot, to live on basically scraps, and always have that doom and gloom peeking over your shoulder...

There are a multitude of problems with your analogy of comparing Game Design from EA Games (seriously, they aren't even a game design company in my book) to that of Riot Games or even Blizzard.

Number one, most importantly, EA games strives for quantity over quality. They shove out a lot of maps, a lot of levels and a lot of games. This means that when a game, map or level has been created; they only need to make more of them. If there is no need to make more of them, why would they keep the employees who already made them?

But fmwyso, what is different about Riot? They haven't even come close to valuing quantity. Let's be honest, League of Legends has one map. Let's also be honest and say Riot Games has shown no public interest in creating any other game. Put frankly, Riot Games as a company is devoted not only to one game but also to one map; to which there is little interest to go any further beyond. How has riot survived? Because that one map is absolutely fantastic. They have done a superb job of making it versatile enough to handle the millions(?) of daily players.

Riot Games has no interest in hiring and firing game developers; while EA needs to hire a group based on a per game basis, Riot is looking for game developers who will continue to maintain their own prized possession.

But wait, there's more! Riot Games is just the start. More and more, companies are realizing that a vast number of users do not want to front $60 for a game; and more and more users are realizing they don't have to. Just look at the stats for game play use (or look at the BOOMING company that started out local and has gotten like 10 headquarters or some crazy amount all across the globe). Simply put, Riot Games turned everyone's heads around and companies are realizing they have been wrong the entire time.

What does this have to do with game developers? Riot Games employs a fantastic view of game development. Just look at any of their documentation (or even talk to any of their many designers who hold constant AMAs just for fun), Riot Games wants their game developers to be game players. More companies are realizing they need to encourage this kind of atmosphere or forever be shadowed by Riot.

Simply put, I am a devout Game Developer but only because Riot Games has opened up a world of good careers in Game Development in the first place. Don't think for a second that Game Development in EA has anything to do with Riot Games.

Now the real question is... How the heck do I get Riot Games to see me before I graduate so that they know I am the type of person they are looking for? Already applied for internship and got rejected , any recommendations Riot?

Arushni

03-27-2013

Quote:
fmwyso:
How the heck do I get Riot Games to see me before I graduate so that they know I am the type of person they are looking for?

I might have taken you somewhat seriously if everything you said didn't sound like it came from some kid who really has no idea how the industry works, and then... surprise! This showed up at the end.

Well, I'm glad you feel you are sufficiently informed, and I won't make too much of an attempt to burst your bubble. Go ahead and take all the time in the world wishing and hoping for that job, and then when you realize that my argument and advice really has nothing to do with EA, then you'll see where I'm coming from and accept my suggestion to forego this "dream job" for something a little more practical and secure.

And, if you need an answer to the question "What do I need to do to get hired", then you really have no clue. It's not rocket science, son; if you want to get hired, work your ass off, create something that will "wow" them, and then go from there. If you think you can half ass your way into an industry job by not spending your every waking moment practicing and honing whatever skills you think you have, and you think playing League of Legends for hours on end somehow makes you that much more qualified to work there, you're in for a rude awakening. Take a guess at how many people out there want to work in the industry, let alone Riot... hell, just read this thread. You have a lot of competition, and this thread doesn't even scratch the surface, so my recommendation would be to get to it... or stay here and argue with me - I don't really care.

That advice is free, by the way. If you were to ask any industry professional the same question, they would give you the same answer, so please; don't talk over me like you know more about it than I do. I've been there, seen that, got the scars, and I started it in a time that was wildly different than what you're facing right now. This is also coming from someone that had two opportunities to enter the game industry at entry level, and I turned both of them down. Funny enough; it was two companies that both had money problems and staff lay offs not even a year after I could have taken the job, and neither were affiliated with EA.

Oh and hey, I forgot; THQ just sent 1090 employees with more experience than you to the fishing pond. You're practically in the same boat I was when I was just about to graduate! We could be brothers!

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be never so vile. This day shall gentle his condition. And gentlemen in England now abed shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day."