Hiring Experienced Game Designers

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iSnipe4food

03-20-2013

hey zileas i went to the internship page and it says its closed for the summer. sos do i have to wait till fall to apply?

BergMeister

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by xethik View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I'm hoping to graduate with a Bachelor's in Game Design from the Rochester Institute of Technology in about a year. And I've kind of had the feeling that I should have gone with straight CS or Software Engineering from early on, but stuck with the program until it was a bit too late to change. Ah well, it won't keep me from applying, of course! Something to pass on to those little High Schoolers when I go back and talk to my teachers and their current students every year.
Hey. I go to RIT too! Do I know you?

copperpoint

03-21-2013

I already made a post before, but I'd like to show some stuff:

Dipl. Des. Markus Erdt
www.me-artbook.blogspot.de
www.niefali.com
merdt[at]gmx.net

some Shyvana (fanart) skin ideas and concepts:

Thai-Chivana (Lunar Revel)
Battlecast Shyvana (Currently working on the dragon form)

DreamsofVoid

03-21-2013

Would any of you help me find out if this is a relevant degree?

University of Management and Technology Bachelor's of Science in Computer Science with a major in Software Engineering

I would like to find out if any of Riot's employees think this degree would be relevant in either my goal in life (to personally reach outer space by any available means at my disposal) or my interest in life (playing video games which my love of doing so might lead me to applying to work for Riot). In the past, I have read in many other Rioter's post that your degree doesn't necessarily dictate the area in which you work at Riot. Understandable. In regards to the portion of my interest in life, I am asking specifically if Riot or any other large game developing company would hire someone with this degree.

An additional inquiry of mine is if this particular degree is lucrative or not. What career field do you think this degree would profit the most from? If any of you happen to know, what kind of salary or hourly rate can you expect to receive at entry level.

A bit about me: I have been AD USAF for 4 years now. I have a little under 2 years left on my contract. I have an Associate's of Applied Science in Logistics from the Community College of the Air Force which I can turn into any number of different kinds of Bachelor's Degrees using a program for AD Enlisted members. I'm deciding on what kind of degree I should get to pursue the three criteria I have asked for opinions on in this thread. To reiterate and potentially clarify those were:

1 - Is the aforementioned Bachelor's relevant in the pursuit of personally visiting Outer Space?

2 - Is the aforementioned Bachelor's relevant in the pursuit of acquiring a job at Riot or any other large game developing company?

3 - Is the aforementioned Bachelor's profitable? If so, in what career field(s)?

I don't mind receiving opinionated answers or ones backed from facts and statistics. I am just looking for any kind of constructive feedback.

HardestCracker

03-21-2013

Good luck to all the applicants -

Just a heads up though, seeming desperate is a bad way to apply for a job - it really is about what you can offer the company in terms of proven ability and experience.

Mandaari

03-21-2013

I have a pretty general question for Morello or Zileas (or any red) if you're still around.

Right now I'm a junior at WPI going for a CS degree as well as an Interactive Media and Game Development degree. I've done a lot of stuff on my own time, including publishing a game and making a bunch of mods. I applied for a summer internship and at this point I'm pretty sure my application was passed over. So my question is: What kind of projects do you see from internship applicants that make you take notice?

Uniquisher

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-22-2013

Im well experienced with concept and game design, I've got a port folio set up on deviant art which shows a lot of my stuff:

My Deviant Art

SLCooper

03-22-2013

So for someone who is extremely passionate about helping people, and have worked in a customer service job for a while now, I am wanting to apply for a Player Support job. What is Riot's want vs demand for this position? I think I am pretty qualified and am wanting to just gauge certain things about applying. Taking a leg of hope here since I quit the military to pursue my gaming career.

Rinnero

03-22-2013

Zileas and Morello arent HR. They arent supposed to know such detailes. Also, as the company grows, its requirements become higher, but flexibility in decision making lowers. It's common sense. I wish i could know how HR works: how long does it take to make a judgement, will they notify you if you dont qualify, what are rhe most valued qualities except experience, etc. But only HR knows it i guess.

What are your thoughts about abovementioned questions? When did you get an answer after applying?

Echo 419

03-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
You know, this post reminded me that I went shopping earlier today, and crossed the street in Venice named 'Zanja'

Rhymes with....

I bet the property values on that street are elevated.

See what I did there?
lololol