Hiring Experienced Game Designers

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fembot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-16-2013

Hopfully a new diana skiin. Will come out soon, did the people at riot forget about her?

Strumpfi

03-16-2013

All ******* in ranked
i have 20 friends with 2000 -3000 games in normal and all is in bronze because all idiots ****** autist play rank with 100 games in normal and feed troll...
Riot Let's just guys with 1000 + ranked play not all idiots

LexanLifau

03-16-2013

Another question for RIOT employees: Anybody happen to be familiar with RIT's IT and Game Design & Development programs in Rochester, NY? I just got accepted to their college, and the IT program.

SaintofSin518

03-17-2013

@Zileas / Morello
I would like to inquire about internships that aren't exactly just software design, and code-monkey work. While I would love to do any type of work (As I am trained in software design and coding, server-side hardware, and server and network system administration.) I ask simply because, the degree I am working on, and certificates I have, are all based upon Networking Systems Administration, and the hardware side of the game, does Riot offer internships in this department as well?

I would like to possibly speak about this more in depth with someone.

I live in Michigan, but I would have no problem heading out to either of the U.S. offices.

With warm regards,
Saint.

Simply Chaotic

03-17-2013

You know, it's funny that you are looking for an experienced game designer, because I just happen to be looking for a job.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not experienced at game design; but I am a recently separated veteran who JUST SO HAPPENS to live approximately 102 miles north of The Angels.

RoitExpert

03-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
Hi All,

As always we are hiring, and are particularly hiring experienced people. If you are part of some of the recent layoffs that have hit our industry, or you happen to be considering your next opportunity already, we'd love to see if there's a fit.

LoL is a big project, but there's a lot of things to do, and as the community tells us every day, there's more we could be doing. To do more things at the same time successfully, we need great leaders. What I'm referring to is the ability to enact positive change, make great design decisions, and have good judgement on complicated, ambiguous problems that involve things beyond just design.

Here are some of the advantages to working here:

1) If LoL happens to be your favorite game, I guess that means we uniquely are able to offer you the opportunity to work on your favorite game

2) We enable people who want to get things done to get things done. We don't believe in holding people to their specific job role -- our system enables significant flexibility beyond it. This is super empowering for the right kind of person.

3) We will empower anyone who can lead to be a leader here (after of course they empower themselves). In general though, you need not have prior titles as 'lead designer' to be a lead designer here. Many of the traditional 'lead designer' tasks here, like owning large new systems, don't require a large design team, and are led by a game designer or senior game designer. Of course, anyone doing these needs to have great judgement.

4) LoL has been pretty successful, and as such, offers a lot of unique problems to solve, and a lot of players to please if you do your job well. Additionally, as a live game that people are playing all the time, it's a very, very different feel than most other game industry projects. You get faster feedback on things that work, have different concerns, and so forth. I think that a natural inclination of people is to assume that because LoL is a released game that there are less design problems to solve. I used to think this might be the case, but it turns out, there's actually in some cases more.

5) Our work life balance is pretty good. Crunch as is traditionally understood has not been something the design team has experienced since before LoL shipped.

6) If you like mentorship, there are a lot of great opportunities here, and we value great mentors.

7) We compensate generously. I know this is not your primary motivation for considering us, but we live in a capitalist society, and being generously compensated for your efforts certainly can't hurt.

Here are some types of problems you could work on:

Champion Design
New Features
Social Systems and Player Behavior Systems
Play balance
Updates/Overhauls to older maps
Lots more...

There's a lot of different types of opportunities. I'll be at GDC of course, and we are always filtering resumes. Feel free to apply for Lead Designer or Sr Designer if interested (or any other role that fits you):
http://www.riotgames.com/careers/lead-designer
http://www.riotgames.com/careers/senior-game-designer

Also have a design director spot open:
http://www.riotgames.com/careers/design-director

And of course, yes, we are hiring interns for the summer:
http://www.riotgames.com/internships

FAQ:
Q:Zileas, does this mean that [insert possible adverse personnel problem] has happened?
A:No. Riot is a fast growing company, and the needs of the organization are growing along with that. To do all of the projects within LoL, and to be in a good position for any future ambitions, we need additional capable design leaders. This is an opportune place to look, and I do it periodically every few months.
A2:Also, I got out of male modeling because of how the modeling industry over-sexualizes males. I became tired of other people defining my worth around my attractive looks, and my therapist tells me that being a game designer is better for my self-esteem.
i mean i like to but if i have to move then no

Tandouri

03-17-2013

I'm currently doing a bachelor in consumerism science (we study consumers' loyalty, customer services, marketting, and quality of services mainly) and i wonder if it would be possible to work for riot one day with that degree. It would be nice to have an answer from a riot dude! thanks

Torvok

03-18-2013

Would you send me to school for it. Also, I have a question. how does one get in contact with someone on the riot champion development team? I have 2 ideas for characters that I think would be amazing, they can be altered as needed, but I have put time into the idea of the abilities they would contain.

Torvok

03-18-2013

also referring to my other message above ^ riot may contact me at wowmanic@yahoo.com

WithMalice

03-18-2013

Real quick, I read through all of your prior riot posts, and I think I know the answer all ready, (which has given me a huge sense of relief) but I'll ask anyway.

I am currently in law school working on my JD and have an undergraduate degree in Political Science. I have applied to the game design and production internships all ready (my dream!), but my work and business experience have primarily centered around team management, marketing, sales, and building client relationships/regional rapport selling energy conservation measures. Did I harm myself in not applying to the business department? I thought the other aspects of my resume (playing WoW at a semi-professional level, although too young to compete in tournaments, and making suggestions/drafting forum arguments which ultimately wound up in-game) were more relevant to those departments. Also, in retrospect, my main conceptual pitch was something of a hybrid combining story development and in-game store purchase incentives. I'm worried I talked myself out of consideration by not applying to the business department as well.