Hiring Experienced Game Designers

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lord Kamina

03-14-2013

Zileas, in advance for when you guys are hiring interns again:

I'm currently majoring in aerospace engineering, but I'd like to apply for the Creative Design Team. I honestly have no experience besides drawing and thinking up my own stuff every now and then, and my major doesn't really offer much in the ways of preparing people for this kind of internship- mostly they just expect us to apply to Lockheed or Boeing. What would you recommend as a way to get some experience in creative design, so I have some credentials when I do apply.

LOLiAMIZUAL

03-14-2013

wish i didnt live in AUS or i would take this job

i got 3 years experience in Computer Design and Graphic

XAlFias

03-14-2013

I think most Experienced Game Designers are already working in various companies ...... most , not all ....

if u ppl gave a way to work online instead of being physically present , then yo will get MANY useful workers .... many and useful....

Morello

Lead Designer

03-15-2013
47 of 53 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk÷lnir View Post
I'll give this thread a shot, since Morello is probably still around the forums (any Rioter's response would be welcome, though).

I'm currently on my way to an International Relations degree (3 semesters out of 8, so there's still a lot of road to cover), and while the career isn't really related to video games, one of my big dreams is to be able to work on the gaming industry, preferably on a design-related position. I am almost fully aware of my capabilities and limits (I'm kind of an analytical type of guy when it comes to nearly everything, though I certainly engage myself with passion when I want to), and I know that I am really intelligent and creative. I'm totally capable of tackling situations with a lot of brainstorming and come out with solutions quickly, including those related with game design (when given enough amount of information regarding the issue, obviously).

The thing is: I've been gaming since I was a kid, I have interacted for a long time with game designers, but there are a few big obstacles on my way if I want to turn this hobby (although I should say passion) into a job:

1) My degree. I've picked international relations because there's a bit of everything in it, and I'm a knowledge-thirsty guy: Politics, law, economy, history, geography...I want to know it all. Yet none of this is directly related video games. I keep wondering if I should take this path.

2) My nationality. I'm from Latin America. I've never had english classes outside of school, but those merely teach the students the basics (I am talking about *real* basics here, like...grammar and beginner reading skills). Probably unsurprisingly, I've learned my english by myself, through video games (who'd know?), music and, later, books. So I'd apologize right now for any typo or mistake you guys find on this post. I've also learned a bit of german, although I'm not sure if that would be of any use, since I haven't practiced in years. My origins enter in direct conflict with another one of my big dreams (I have lot of those - gotta aim high, right?): To live in another continent. That relates to my degree choice. I want to be able to experience different cultures. I'd need the money (or the opportunity) for that. I need to get myself noticed. How could I draw such attention?

3) I have no formal experience, at least as of yet, and I am totally aware of how this affects my wishes negatively. Why would anyone give attention to a guy who has no experience at all, yet claims himself to be creative or clever, while there's the other dude who's worked on such-and-such companies and has a degree on IT, video game design or whatever? What would you suggest?

If you've read this far, I am truly thankful. I'd love to get some insight on what to do. Since I've started college I can't stop wondering if I am making the right choices. There is no easy path to fulfill your dreams, I know that, but the guy that claims to be a genius is, maybe for the first time of his life, confused.

PS: Sorry, again, for any typos.
A few quick notes;

1) I don't have a college degree myself, but as a result, had to find other ways to stand out. International Relations isn't terrible as we're a world-wide organization, but it's not a direct field related to design. The point is, your degree is less likely to set you apart than your other accomplishments - you just have to make sure something on that front does.

2) Nationality is less of an issue (we have designers who originate from several non-North American countries), though immigration issues mean you even need to be more of a slam dunk. For a slam dunk though, this is doable.

3) Many of our designers don't - formal experience is one of many ways to stand out. For this job, you need experience because we're looking to fill Senior and Lead roles - roles defined by things you learn by doing professional game design. For Associate and lower roles, this isn't usually required.

N01s perfect

03-15-2013

I can draw stickman!

AlchemistRa1n

03-15-2013

I wish you guys were based out of Seattle, I applied a while back for your network team and got to step two, but my wife didn't want to move.

Kuro Kurama

03-15-2013

I am currently a junior in college, and a computer science major. I think LoL should have summer internship opportunities for college students. This allows them to gain experience to be trained and understand what working for Riot entails. If you all ever do summer internships, I'll be the first to apply. I dream of working for riot and a game I love.

Sk├Âlnir

03-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
A few quick notes; -snip-
Oh, wow. Thanks for taking the time to read through my rambling, I really appreciate it.

And thank you for the advice. I mean it. I wasn't trying to get noticed so I could apply for a job at the industry right now, I know that is out of my reach at the moment. But simply being able to look at the path ahead of me and see something that isn't a dead end...that's a great relief. I still have a long way to go, but I suppose that only means I'll have to work a lot to get where I want. Which, I guess, makes the it feel even more rewarding when I get there, doesn't it?

Thank you, again. I am really grateful.

RavenHusky

03-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by xLyrical View Post
I am currently a junior in college, and a computer science major. I think LoL should have summer internship opportunities for college students. This allows them to gain experience to be trained and understand what working for Riot entails. If you all ever do summer internships, I'll be the first to apply. I dream of working for riot and a game I love.
They do have internships available, although the application is due today.

http://www.riotgames.com/internships

The Number I

03-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Number I View Post
@Zileas/Morello

I know this isn't exactly on topic, but I searched the other links and stuff and couldn't find anything about it. How do you go about hiring voice actors for the different champions?
This was never answered and I'd be very interested.