Hiring Experienced Game Designers

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MikeyIke

03-07-2013

Ah, a dream job. Way to rub it in my face that I literally in many ways have no chance of getting it, ZILEAS.

xethik

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
We like people who have accomplished big things thus far in their career/education. Try to do impressive projects or self-directed things, especially within games.

But on degrees, it would depend upon the field you are interested in. For game design, we like Computer Science and other analytical degrees the most.
Now, do you prefer CS degrees over Game Design degrees? Or are they all on the same playing field and what you have beyond the degree is what matters?

Zileas

VP of Game Design

03-07-2013
26 of 53 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xethik View Post
Now, do you prefer CS degrees over Game Design degrees? Or are they all on the same playing field and what you have beyond the degree is what matters?
Many game design degrees are not very good and don't teach things we are that interested in... there are of course several important exceptions. And honestly, if you work very hard and are truly determined, you have a decent chance of doing well anywhere.

That being said, I'd say go to a good school and complete a hard analytical major like CS, Math or a science, while developing multiple games or really solid mods in your spare time, and hopefully doing some internships of relevance. That's sortof the time-honored game design recipe if you ask me.

There are of course other paths that work. The advantage of game design programs is that they force you to make games. But we really like self directed learning as it means you'll do self directed learning when you work here, so demonstrating you do awesome stuff outside of your curriculum is a big deal.

- Zileas

zlefin

03-07-2013

Zileas, do you have any recommendations on development software?
It's all so expensive i've never been willing to try and get some for something i'm not convinced I'd finish.
Also, do you or anyone else have recommendations for sites where small companies/groups looking for design help from low experience people might go? Maybe if i could provide some free design work to some people I could get some credit that would be worth something.

I wish everyone wasn't so into the whole self-motivated thing; it's like the top demand every company has. It's hard on people who're good hard workers but aren't self-starters; rather similar to the problems with the political system.

Riot Wittrock

QA Analyst

03-07-2013

Alright, maybe I'm a bit fuzzy on the details of you (and others') advice then Morello.

What seems to be the stock response when people ask "How do? (get into industry)" is make a game.

I mean sure, you can have a stroke of brilliance and independently design something brilliant that will change your life forever, like DotA, and move from there, but how many people really got their start that way? (I ask that not rhetorically, but honestly. How many designers started that way?)

The trick also seems to be the inherent limitations surrounding that as well. If you're not a programmer, what are the plausible options for turning your what could be brilliant game system design into something tangible, let alone having the resources to popularize it?

Sorry, many thoughts, many concerns X_X thanks for answering some of my inquiries. If I'm sounding accusation, it's all for the search for knowledge!

xethik

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
Many game design degrees are not very good and don't teach things we are that interested in... there are of course several important exceptions.

Rather than get into those particulars, I'd say go to a good school and complete a hard analytical major like CS, Math or a science, while developing multiple games or really solid mods in your spare time, and hopefully doing some internships of relevance. That's sortof the time-honored game design recipe if you ask me.

There are of course other paths that work. The advantage of game design programs is that they force you to make games. But we really like self directed learning as it means you'll do self directed learning when you work here, so demonstrating you do awesome stuff outside of your curriculum is a big deal.

- Zileas
Thanks for the heads up. I'm hoping to graduate with a Bachelor's in Game Design from the Rochester Institute of Technology in about a year. And I've kind of had the feeling that I should have gone with straight CS or Software Engineering from early on, but stuck with the program until it was a bit too late to change. Ah well, it won't keep me from applying, of course! Something to pass on to those little High Schoolers when I go back and talk to my teachers and their current students every year.

zlefin

03-07-2013

Why are so many game design degrees bad? I've never heard enough about them to know; is it just poorly developed curricula?
It doesn't seem like it'd be inherently hard to make a solid degree on Game Design. So i'd suspect the problem is more that the people implementing them are doing a poor job or lack enough knowledge of the area; or are just trying to cash in on a new craze without really knowing games all that thoroughly.

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

03-07-2013
27 of 53 Riot Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. I'm hoping to graduate with a Bachelor's in Game Design from the Rochester Institute of Technology in about a year. And I've kind of had the feeling that I should have gone with straight CS or Software Engineering from early on, but stuck with the program until it was a bit too late to change. Ah well, it won't keep me from applying, of course! Something to pass on to those little High Schoolers when I go back and talk to my teachers and their current students every year.
Ahh, I graduated from RIT with a CS degree. Honestly though, while Tymann was awesome, Geigler tried really hard and Bayliss actually understood gaming, I got more out of my projects at home than the school ones. That's what lead my internship at Microsoft which got me on the west coast path I am today.

That said, the emphasis I saw on their proposed syllabus was more about the technical aspects of the work and less about the nature of thinking through the problems of game design. I got invited to give a talk there a few years back. Maybe I should see if they're still interested.

Pistallion

03-07-2013

Do you get back to people that dont get the intership? and how long after they apply does it take for you to contact us?

Zileas

VP of Game Design

03-07-2013
28 of 53 Riot Posts

Quote:
I would not be concerned in this case. RIT is a very good university and will require your game design major have lots of substantial classes. Should be a good education I would think. At a certain level, you are getting a bachelor's in science from RIT. That is a solid analytical degree ;p

- Zileas