Hiring Experienced Game Designers

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LexanLifau

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
Hi All,

As always we are hiring, and are particularly hiring experienced people. If you are part of some of the recent layoffs that have hit our industry, or you happen to be considering your next opportunity already, we'd love to see if there's a fit.

LoL is a big project, but there's a lot of things to do, and as the community tells us every day, there's more we could be doing. To do more things at the same time successfully, we need great leaders. What I'm referring to is the ability to enact positive change, make great design decisions, and have good judgement on complicated, ambiguous problems that involve things beyond just design.

Here are some of the advantages to working here:

1) If LoL happens to be your favorite game, I guess that means we uniquely are able to offer you the opportunity to work on your favorite game

2) We enable people who want to get things done to get things done. We don't believe in holding people to their specific job role -- our system enables significant flexibility beyond it. This is super empowering for the right kind of person.

3) We will empower anyone who can lead to be a leader here (after of course they empower themselves). In general though, you need not have prior titles as 'lead designer' to be a lead designer here. Many of the traditional 'lead designer' tasks here, like owning large new systems, don't require a large design team, and are led by a game designer or senior game designer. Of course, anyone doing these needs to have great judgement.

4) LoL has been pretty successful, and as such, offers a lot of unique problems to solve, and a lot of players to please if you do your job well. Additionally, as a live game that people are playing all the time, it's a very, very different feel than most other game industry projects. You get faster feedback on things that work, have different concerns, and so forth. I think that a natural inclination of people is to assume that because LoL is a released game that there are less design problems to solve. I used to think this might be the case, but it turns out, there's actually in some cases more.

5) Our work life balance is pretty good. Crunch as is traditionally understood has not been something the design team has experienced since before LoL shipped.

6) If you like mentorship, there are a lot of great opportunities here, and we value great mentors.

7) We compensate generously. I know this is not your primary motivation for considering us, but we live in a capitalist society, and being generously compensated for your efforts certainly can't hurt.

Here are some types of problems you could work on:

Champion Design
New Features
Social Systems and Player Behavior Systems
Play balance
Updates/Overhauls to older maps
Lots more...

There's a lot of different types of opportunities. I'll be at GDC of course, and we are always filtering resumes. Feel free to apply for Lead Designer or Sr Designer if interested (or any other role that fits you):
http://www.riotgames.com/careers/lead-designer
http://www.riotgames.com/careers/senior-game-designer

Also have a design director spot open:
http://www.riotgames.com/careers/design-director

And of course, yes, we are hiring interns for the summer:
http://www.riotgames.com/internships

FAQ:
Q:Zileas, does this mean that [insert possible adverse personnel problem] has happened?
A:No. Riot is a fast growing company, and the needs of the organization are growing along with that. To do all of the projects within LoL, and to be in a good position for any future ambitions, we need additional capable design leaders. This is an opportune place to look, and I do it periodically every few months.
A2:Also, I got out of male modeling because of how the modeling industry over-sexualizes males. I became tired of other people defining my worth around my attractive looks, and my therapist tells me that being a game designer is better for my self-esteem.
I'm graduating this year from highschool and have been play League since the late intervating locket days. I plan on going into computers and game designing. I would love to work with RIOT someday, it could be an opportunity I could enjoy working. I live in California so the Santa Monica office could be an option after I get my education and experience if I'm talented enough. Any advice on what degrees looks good to RIOT? P.S. Santa Monica is expensive lol and the beach there is my favorite!

Zileas

VP of Game Design

03-07-2013
25 of 53 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeXander View Post
I'm graduating this year from highschool and have been play League since the late intervating locket days. I plan on going into computers and game designing. I would love to work with RIOT someday, it could be an opportunity I could enjoy working. I live in California so the Santa Monica office could be an option after I get my education and experience if I'm talented enough. Any advice on what degrees looks good to RIOT? P.S. Santa Monica is expensive lol and the beach there is my favorite!
We like people who have accomplished big things thus far in their career/education. Try to do impressive projects or self-directed things, especially within games.

But on degrees, it would depend upon the field you are interested in. For game design, we like Computer Science and other analytical degrees the most.

hashinshin

03-07-2013

nice to see the title change. Past title was rubbing me the wrong way.

Joymonster

03-07-2013

Riot, this is such a special game, I want to be a part. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYY want to be a part. I love the game, the way you all interact, the progress of the company. I want to be your support everything. I have everything you are asking for and more, just need a little of your time to prove it.

Seriously, you can name my first born, just don't tell my wife when you meet her.

Edit: I'll fly down there on my own dime, lunch/dinner/coffee/drinks/game whatever. Big things a plenty.

LexanLifau

03-07-2013

Quote:
We like people who have accomplished big things thus far in their career/education. Try to do impressive projects or self-directed things, especially within games.

But on degrees, it would depend upon the field you are interested in. For game design, we like Computer Science and other analytical degrees the most.
Thank you for the feedback! And the new launched college club thing would be part of what ur talking about here? I remember reading about it somewhere on LOL news.

Banichi

03-07-2013

So would you be interested in a student in materials engineering with no experience in game design?

But seriously, wish you luck in hiring. Having talked to people in charge of things, and ran several clubs myself, I understand how hard it is to find such people.

LexanLifau

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banichi View Post
So would you be interested in a student in materials engineering with no experience in game design?

But seriously, wish you luck in hiring. Having talked to people in charge of things, and ran several clubs myself, I understand how hard it is to find such people.
LoL I see ur joke, no clubs dont go that far , thats not what i meant by that haha.

zlefin

03-07-2013

well, I put in my application; but I assume I won't get in, cuz I never get in for anything. Sadly all the mods i've done are too small or not enough people interested in them [my best was one to fix inflation and other ai weaknesses in europa universalis 3 via changes in ai event handling]; and there's not enough challenges/ways to demonstrate understanding of game design.

Strawberrycocoa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-07-2013

Time to polish up my resume. Third application's the charm!

AotW King

03-07-2013

Quote:

Out of curiosity, how many e-mails/linkedin mails to you and other higher end/well known people at riot get a day about employment/miscellaneous?

Assuming you don't have time to respond to them all how do you pick which to respond to?