Let's talk about Warwick

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Drippy Sink

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-01-2010

^Turtle said it better.

Warwick can bounce between mastery trees as long as you have the proper Utility talents.

I use a 14/0/16 mastery build to get the extra movespeed and Mp5.
21/0/9 is vable, as is 0/21/9, but having at least 10 points in utility is really, REALLY, beneficial.

Demonite10

11-01-2010

Warwick with zerker boots, bloodrazor, and his W is pretty much all you need.

I run with generalist rune pages for melee and AP chars. For WW I use the melee page, which is ArP, Mp5, CDr, and HP quints(well...i'lll use them when I get them).
My item build: Bloodrazor, zerker boots, last whisper, bloodthirster
For masteries I go 21/9, grabbing improved smite and defensive talents.

Why it works:
I start off with cloth armor. That's it. WW(for me) doesn't need a health pot, though I've considered picking up blue pots. Though, WW can just grab the blue buff. We all know what bloodrazor does, so then we should all know how nasty that item is with high attack speed. Between the zerker boots and WW's W, his attack speed will mangle most people, including tanks who don't stack Mresist. Throwing in the last whisper and bloodthirster for even faster and bigger hits, which gives you more health back from the bloodthirster. I'm sure I don't need to touch on his ulti.

Just with those items, WW has enough survivability via lifesteal to handle the errant 'pants down' moment(so long as it's only one or two people), and enough umph to really pick off the enemy's carries or support.

PerAnon

11-01-2010

Thanks again to everyone for all the feedback - it's really helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grisaang View Post
Here is the matheatical breakdown of the best jungling runes for Warwick (Marks and Quintessences) in consideration of jungling speed.

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=304909

If you have more questions, I'll be glad to help, if I can.
That's a great link - thanks for the resource there.

I'm glad to hear an argument against the Mallet, actually. It's so expensive, with no resists and only 20 damage, that I always feel underwhelmed when I buy it on anyone.

I'm sold on AS marks - the on hit effects (heal/BR) have good interaction, and increasing damage and healing in the jungle makes sense. Dodge yellows and CDR blues were where my initial preference lay, so it's nice to see that supported as well. My concern was that the CDR wouldn't be as effective on him since he has two pretty long cooldowns and the toggle, but more Q is reasonable, and the cooldown on his ult might be a tad too long for it to come back up for back to back fights (though I guess this is more relevant to get more ganks early game).

It looks like quints should be Arpen with the above setup, but I might stick with health for two reasons (both of which are honestly pretty bad):

1 - Quints are expensive - I need that IP for buying champs I don't know anything about!

2 - AS/Dodge/CDR is a decent setup for Udyr, so I might just have them share a rune page, and keeping HP quints lets me do that in comfort.

All in all you folks have been a great help! Thanks again.

Demonite10

11-01-2010

With blue CDR/lvl I'm finding that most champions I use will have their ult up in every team fight.

But hey, also consider that all blue CDR/lvl + ghostblade + brutalizer will give you max cooldown reduction. I'm not a number cruncher, but I'm sure that would put WW's ult under 50 seconds, and his Q...ouchies

Dwarfling

11-01-2010

I think all has been said here. I'll just sum it up:

- Madred's Bloodrazor is the most important item in your build and you should finish it ASAP. Without the 5 procs, your ultimate doesn't do significant damage.
- You're an assassin. The enemy team will focus you to keep you from killing their important people. It is imperative that you: don't initiate (it's suicidal), build survival (you'll be focused), get proper anti-cc (if you can't swing, you can't live). Banshee's Veil, Guardian Angel, Randuin's Omen are great items for this.
- WW doesn't care much about runes. AS gives you better healing as long as you can swing, Penetration gives you better damage per swing and skills. Dodge/Armor, CDR/MR are nice to have around.
- Your worst enemy: Shields = Banshee, Kayle, Morgana, Shen, etc.

laundrymonster

11-01-2010

Items.
Bloodrazors.
Merc Treads.
Guardian Angel
Tank.

He doesn't need damage outside of red buff and bloodrazor's.

Xaerin

11-01-2010

What about spirit visage?

JohnCataldo

11-01-2010

I agree with most of the big posts here, but a few other thoughts:

- Always build based on the enemies (and possibly your teammates). WW has more flexibility than many champions, even while he's locked into Bloodrazor.

- Attack speed DOES matter in teamfights, where you want to process Bloodrazor as much as possible. This is one more reason to use AS runes, besides the fact that they speed up jungling so much.

- Don't initiate with your ult on any full-healthy if you can avoid it. I know others said it, but it's worth repeating. In a 5v5 team fight, ideally you let a tank initiate, let most players get committed, wait for an enemy squishy to lose 1/3 or 1/2 their health, and you finish them off / pin them down. It's too easy to jump in the back, away from your team, right at the start of a fight and get yourself melted.

- Get at least one defensive item, but choose it based on the enemies. Unlike Udyr, you'd like to avoid being extremely tanky. Maybe in a very long game I might get both MR and armor (likely Banshee's / Force of Nature / Randuin's / Sunfire / Thornmail). And it's fine to get some defense early after Bloodrazor, like Catalyst or just Chainmail, etc. But Warwick contributes more as DPS -- he can't depend on only his skills to contribute enough, and doesn't have enough CC to pretend he's a tank.

- It's far easier to gank after level 6, BUT any time you have Lizard buff you need to check lanes for possible ganks. Lizard is extremely strong on WW at early levels. I've gotten level 2 ganks occasionally (when I've decided to go for Lizard early).

- Get at least one point in Bloodscent by level 4. I don't recall anyone explicitly saying this, but it's really helpful. I know many starting WW players who underestimated how useful Bloodscent is.

- Most players take Flash, Ghost, or Exhaust in addition to Smite. They are all useful for ganking. Flash is the most useful for trying early Dragon when it might be a bit dangerous to do so, since you can flash out through the wall. Exhaust is easily the best for early ganks, since WW can make good use of the CC to do more damage, and exhaust remains useful throughout the game. Some people like ignite, but unless you know the enemy has healing you need to counter I think Exhaust is far superior. Ghost is just generally useful, of course, and better than Flash for long term chasing / escaping. Flash guarantees you'll get 1-2 more hits on someone fleeing, but Ghost usually gets you quite a few more hits than that.

JohnCataldo

11-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaerin View Post
What about spirit visage?
If you want a cheapish MR item, AND you aren't super worried about enemy CC wrecking your ultimate (i.e. Bashee's Veil is in your future), it's a nice item. Obviously it makes you heal more and that's nice. But honestly for healing a simple Vampiric Sceptre usually helps more.

SoopaTomato

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-01-2010

ms quints, as or arpen marks, dodge seals, mr/lvl or flat cdr glyphs

ms quints because i run flash/smite instead of ghost/smite

9/0/21 so i can flash more and outrun people even better

bloodrazor and mercs or boots3 are core. after that do w/e tank items you want. i like bveil and omen. i guess spirit visage and sunfires work too. frozen mallet is a good 5th or 6th item.