Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Let's talk about Warwick

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PerAnon

11-01-2010

Hey kids! I've been looking for information on everyone's favorite jungling werewolf, and found a lot of conflicting information. Let me lay out what I'm looking for, then open the floor to the fine League community for input.

First: I play Udyr pretty regularly, and am used to the jungle's way. Early game ganking -> late game tanking is how I roll with Udyr, and the gameplay is fun and successful. I'd like to fill a similar role with WW, though of course he is less tank more assassin (or so I imagine!) lategame.

So - however obvious this should be, I'll still be clear. Junglewick info only, please. I'm sure your WW is an excellent laner, but I'm not interested. Also, I will be taking Smite. I know that you can jungle without Smite. You can also jungle without XP masteries or health pots. You can recall after every camp if you want! That's fine - you do that - I'll take Smite.

So, the questions: first, runes - what is ideal on this guy? I've seen everything from magic pen reds to attack speed blues, so the more info on runes, the better. I really like HP quints, and would be hard pressed to change my mind, but I'll listen to arguments to the contrary. I understand that Bloodrazors are basically mandatory, and Hungering Strike deals a ton, so I could see Mpen - but will your attack speed make Arpen more important in the long run? Does dodge make sense for yellows? How good are CDR runes? This is where I'm most lost.

Second: items. Bloodrazors, check. Boots, check. What next? Black Cleaver, for extra nastiness on your ult? Sword of the Divine, for more AS == more prox? Or, alternately, can WW do enough damage with just the Bloodrazors that he can afford to build some tanky items - Randuin's/BVeil/maybe a Mallet? These are the burning questions! Also please don't tell me to stack lifesteal.

Third: playstyle. Udyr gets Bear stance before level 6, so usually after the jungle is clear at 4, I grab a couple kills from the lanes. Can WW do this? Should I take Exhaust for this purpose? Alternately, would it be better to just head back to jungle more so that I can get to 6 ASAP? Or should I be grabbing dragon at level 4 after 1st recall?

Thanks!

Nocalex

11-01-2010

stack lifesteal

PerAnon

11-01-2010

Quote:
nocalex:
stack lifesteal

9/10

DrDragun

11-01-2010

Malady is a good complement to Bloodrazor, especially if you have caster allies. Black Cleaver or Infinity Edge are kind of anti-synergy with Bloodrazor... Bloodrazor doesn't crit or interact with armor.

Wit's end is another possibility (and underrated).

For survival I wouldn't invest too much, maybe Randuin or Aegis

Nocalex

11-01-2010

no but seriously, I find attack speed WW is much better than AD. My reasoning is his passive. I used to love getting milady on WW, but now with the revamp I pretty much find it useless on just about everybody. For jungle WW you typically go more tanky. Like lets say get him .5 madreds, then boots, then finish bloodrazor then I usually get another AS item, which one depends on what I'm fighting. I know a lot of people find it to expensive but I think phantom blade is worth it if you are going against an auto attack heavy or highly mobile team. item 4 I usually go with a defensive item such as GA or BV. As far as masteries go, stick with defense and utility if you are going to jungle, and as far as runes I'd probly go arp, health and maybe CD reduction or something. I like WW much more as straight dps rather than a jungler but to each their own. Built correctly a WW with a phantom blade and something with lifesteal such as starks fervor can tank 2-3 built auto attack characters late game due to his ridiculous life gain.

D0llSlght

Recruiter

11-01-2010

Udry and WW plays pretty similarly.

You will mostly benefit from AS runes, I do not suggest HP qunt, but rather AS qunt

Get 1 point in blood scent at lvl 4 (just like 1 point in bear) for some easily first blood.

After mared + boot, start getting tank items.. Banshee would be great, since it also helps with your ult.(want to silence me...silence my shield plz)

After some tanking item, you can get a malady to boost up your offensive capacity.

Imo, malady + mared is enough for all the dps you need

ZOMGTURTLE

11-01-2010

I've played quite a bit of WW, so here's my opinion on your questions...

Runes: What runes should WW use? Honestly, that's been highly debated, and I think it comes down to flavor. I've used both CDR and Health quints, and I honestly like the CDR. WW never has to stop jungling because his health is running low (blue buff all the time + Q + passive), so the CDR on Q helps quite a bit. I also tend to run CDR blues. Then I personally do Arm Pen reds and Dodge yellows. I've seen a number of people suggest all out AS, or a mix of AS and ArmPen, or any of a number of things. Honestly, just get a feel for WW before you really settle on which runes YOU like.

Itemry: Bloodrazors, check. Boots, check. Well now, you pretty well have your core build down. Now you build based entirely on how the game is going. I like to build a lifesteal item (usually Stark's, because WW loves AS) and usually some tanky items to help me not get blown up instantly, because trust me, people love to focus the wolf. I've taken GA a number of times, or BV, or a high armor item, whatever helps you survive against whatever's blowing you up. But wait, you're not getting blown up? More damage plox. Pretty much anything with AS and/or AD will help you. I personally like PD (faster move, more dodges, AS and crit? What's not to like?), Bloodthirster, whatever. Once you have your core items down, its really about going with the flow.

Playstyle: WW has a hard time ganking effectively before 6, but once you're running blue/red, you can definitely take out overextended laners if you can get to them quickly enough. WW doesn't have high base move speed, and before he has ult to initiate, it can be hard to catch people. But once you do with red buff, you can definitely wear them down before they get back to their tower. If you have the health/mana, definitely try to gank at 4. Dragon is next on the priority list, as you shouldn't have almost any trouble with him once you clear once and get your Madred's.

I like running Smite/Flash, but I'm an overly aggressive player that often does stupid stuff and needs a crutch like Flash to save my bacon. It also helps prevent a lot of jungle ganks if you can intelligently Flash over walls. I've seen a number of WWs run Ignite or Exhaust instead to increase their ganking power, whatever works for you. The biggest deal is the same with every jungler: level quickly, deny them their buffs, and make them stay scared that you will come tearing out of the jungle at any second.

PerAnon

11-01-2010

Thanks for the feedback!

So is it the case that most (or at least half) of his damage is magic (Bloodrazor + ult and his q)? If so, I could definitely see Malady. Part of my concern was that his base damage might still outweigh the magic, which is why I could see Black Cleaver. Wit's End is interesting, but I think Malady is better most of the time, unless I'm missing something there.

On runes, would Mpen reds be good? Is Arpen better for early jungle/ganks? Or does AS win out overall? What about yellows and blues? Is CDRin blue worthwhile, or should that be MR? Yellow: does dodge make sense in that spot (early jungle use, and to go with the dodge talents in defense), or is health/armor better? Or should I have AS in EVERY SLOT!?

Also, will the 20% movespeed buff be good for the early ganks? Is Exhaust needed to pull that off?

Thanks again guys!

DrDragun

11-01-2010

I don't think the 20% MS is too great early game when all the outer towers are still intact. WW is not durable enough to reliably tower dive imo, until later in the game.

The Drippy Sink

Recruiter

11-01-2010

Well good morning my friend.
I'll gladly provide all the information I can for your Warwick learning.

Warwick was the first champion I pruchased, and I bought him with my first 3150 IP.

I've been playing him for a while now and have a pretty good idea of how he works.

I'll give you all the feedback I can.

First point: Runes.

Warwick is pretty flexible with his runes, but there's one thing about jungling and ganking that I'm sure you already know. Speed is key so you can have your level advantage ASAP vs side lanes and gank them. For this purpose, you want to jungle as quickly as possible. Before I post my link, let me explain the rest of Warwick's runes to you.

Quintessences: Warwick is one of the junglers blessed with the absence of the need of Flat Health Quints. His passive on-attack heal* and heal from Q allow him this bypass and open him up for more offensive runes. My suggestions are either AS Quints, or ArPen Quints.

*Warwick's passive is not percent-based Lifesteal. It is a set amount, scaling, heal-on-strike. This is important to know because Warwick's passive heal and Q heal are affected by Ignite and other heal-reducing factors. It is also important to know because of its proc-method, on-strike. The faster Warwick attacks, the faster he heals.

Marks: With Warwick, you want to heal alot to sustain yourself in the jungle and in fights. Therefore, you want Attack Speed. Marks are the best source for this, early game. You can opt for ArPen Marks, here, but only if you took AS Quints. Do not use ArPen Marks AND ArPen Quints simultaneously.

Seals: Dodge, Armor, and Mp5 are your best choices. I personally suggest Dodge, because with Warwick's heals early-game, he doesn't have to worry so much about mitigation, and not getting a couple of the dodges in the jungle won't slow him down. Late-game (And Warick needs all the help he can get, late-game) dodging an 800 damage crit from a physical carry is a blessing.

Armor is useful for any jungler in general. They apply to Warwick just like anyone else, but are not necessary.

Mp5 provides you with a decent mana supply, but again, is not necessary. If you find yourself OOM frequently, try them out but you shouldn't need them with proper buff management and the right item purchases which I'll discuss in a moment.

Glyphs: Flat CDR, Flat, CDR Flat CDR. In this current environment, Warwick thrives off of his skills. Most of his "purpose" in a teamfight is to land an ult on a squishy target and drop them ASAP. His main purpose in early-game is to gank. CDR keeps you alive, and allows you to use all of your abilities more frequently. The more you can Q in a fight, the more you can heal. The more frequently your can R, the higher chance of success you have in your ganks. Flat CDR Glyphs all the way.

Items: Madred's Bloodrazor is your staple, bread and butter. Buy it quickly, buy it every time. This item turns your ultimate from a 1.7 second channeled stun to a 1.7 second squishy-melter. For boots, you have many options: Mercury's Treads, Ninja Tabi, Sorcerer's Boots, Boots of Swiftness.

Most reasoning should be obvious for those choices, but I'll go in depth.
Merc's for heavy CC teams, which are insanely popular right now.
Tabi for less CC and more carry-based teams.
Sorc's give you better magic damage while not subtracting too much from your other needed stats. They increase the damage of not only your Q, but also your Madred's Bloodrazor.
Swiftness are probably the least beneficial option, but they can have their games. If the enemy is being stupid, has low CC, and offering lots of gank chances, these are your boots. Games like this should end in early surrenders or very quick Nexus kills.

Beyond boots and Bloodrazor, your options change based on the game, but Warwick's damage potential with his Ult, Q, and Bloodrazor-auto-attacks do afford him the option to be built tanky, and still rip faces off. Your standard defensive items work well with him, and a third core item for him should be Banshee's Veil. The shield helps with completing your ult, and the health+MR make you able to soak some spells. Combine Merc's with Banshee's against caster-heavy teams to really wreak havoc on them. The mana helps Warwick a lot late-game, too, because you might need to start passing the blue buff off to other more mana-intensive champions. And if all else fails, Warwick has insane attack speed with W and Bloodrazors, so if you're OOM you can still stay in the fight and be a threat.

Some form of armor item is always good, because if nothing else, it helps against towers and minions. You should probably get either Thornmail or Randuin's, because they provide the best defenses against carries for the best price.

Frozen Mallet is a viable item, but I would suggest skipping it, because you're already downing 3.8k for Bloodrazors, and for survivability there are better, cheaper options, and Warwick has Bloodscent for chasing and you should have Lizard Buff most of the game.

Black Cleaver is a great item on Warwick if the game is going well and permits you to buy more offense and less defense. Choosing when to deal more damage vs when to survive longer comes with time and understanding how the current game is flowing.

Your other standard AD items apply. I.E., Bloodthirster, Ghostblade, etc., but none are necessary.
*Mentioned before, Malady is good with Madred's now. (Malady + Bloodrazor + Runes + W should pretty much max your AS)

*I will make one suggestion. Don't stack Lifesteal, but at least consider buying one Vampiric Scepter. If you're in a fight and get Ignited, or afflicted with some other heal-decrease-debuff, your survivability plumits. Lifesteal can help counteract that, however, and if the game goes long enough, Vamp. Scepter builds into Bloodthirster for a great AD damage boost.

Third: Warwick's ganking and playstyle is very early-game oriented. At level four-six, with both buffs, you can down the Dragon and gank lanes effectively. Just get your teammates to allow the enemy to overcommit, and engage. Keep Bloodscent toggled off until you reveal yourself if the enemy is low health. Turn it on in the process of advancing on them, because it takes a second or two for the detection to actually kick in, and you want to have it ready for chasing as soon as the target hits 50% health.
- Previous poster was right. Warwick is a much better ganker post-level 6. He can gank at level 4, but it's more difficult.

Summoners spells should pretty much be either Smite and Flash, or Smite and Ghost. Warwick's only way to escape a fight is to run. So he either needs to run faster, or be able to Flash away. Both spells can be used offensively or defensively to boot.

When you spawn, and with proper runes and masteries, Warwick can comfortably jungle with a Longsword and 1 HP Pot. However, a more strategic starting pruchase is a Cloth Armor, 2 HP Pots, and a Sight Ward. Either way, recall after your first clearing of your jungle if there are no available ganks, and upgrade to Madred's Razor. Dragon/Gank/Re-Clear jungle. Start ganking at 4 or 6, and gank every chance you get.

AVOID R'ing Morgana or Gangplank. Morgana can Black Shield and Gangplank can Remove Scurvy to break your Ult. Only Ult them if you KNOW their abilites are on CD. Target squishies whenever you can. Mid-late game, Ult + Q can generally kill any squishy with no survivability purchases. Do not initiate teamfights with your ult! It is suicide.

Here is the matheatical breakdown of the best jungling runes for Warwick (Marks and Quintessences) in consideration of jungling speed.

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=304909

If you have more questions, I'll be glad to help, if I can.