Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Recommendation on Picking lanes before Queue/Please Fix!!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MIKE1004

03-05-2013

I think the only thing that riot could possibly do is add a feature that lists what role you prefer under your name. You cant stop the trolls, there will always be trolls. and having a sorting feature would just increase Q times which would not be a smart move on their part. this would also make the trolls seem even worse by them picking the roles with lowest Q times and picking something else. so aside from adding a box that says what role you prefer under your name, i dont think there is anything else that would be a smart move on riots part. dont like the role your stuck with ? either deal with it or dodge. up to you.

LogicalTautology

03-05-2013

Quote:
Drayola:
What are you achieving in nullifying his survey? Stop being a smartass lol. The guy has an idea. You either upvote it or downvote it. I don't recall this topic title being Statistics 101 Lecture.

FYI, you should be expected to play all 5 roles, you're right about that. The only reason that rule was even made was because of the trolling going on in queue. It was expected of you to have 2 roles you are really good at, and in the event that you don't get the role you want, be able to play one of the other 3. Now, what this guy is suggesting is that you don't have to do that anymore. You play what you want to play. Is that so bad? Is it bad for you to actually have a say in what role you want to play in the next game? Why are you bashing on this guy's surveys when you haven't given a single actual argument to why his idea itself is bad.

Are you kidding me? I've given multiple reasons that not only explain why it's an awful idea that isn't well thought out at all, but that it would also ruin the experience for all the "serious players" and players who opt out of the system.

And I don't see why I shouldn't point out that he can't claim to have done a survey in any meaningful way under the parameters he explained. By that logic I also just did a survey of the people sitting on my chair and 100% of people polled said this idea stinks. Maybe I should e-mail Riot and tell them about my survey!

Ajdin T560

03-05-2013

Quote:
TheFakeSit:
Once again, if i queue up for support, there is NOTHING stopping me from going AP shyvana middle or revive AD heim jungle.

That is true however this is where players morales and game ethics come in, and of course if that doesn't work than dodge but what this would do is eliminate a percentage of all this confusion hapenning probably by 50%. I'm not saying that it will fix it 100% but it will make it better.

Ajdin T560

03-05-2013

Quote:
CRANK513:
Hi,

I think the problem which you have stated is most common in the Normal Games and in the ranked games with Low ELO. So this is not a problem with the more serious games. But I am not denying from the fact that most of the times when you are solo and a group of 4 other people join your team you can't really do much as the rest 4 of the players are against you no matter you are Right or Wrong.
And the module which you have mentioned can be atleast used as an additional option if not compulsion.

That's whati meant an additional module doesn't have to be mandatory for everyone. Thanks

Ajdin T560

03-05-2013

Quote:
Drayola:
Lol, I'm in Silver. Don't use Silver as a "serious player" tier please. Silver probably gets worse trolls, because now, not only are they trolling, but they're full of themselves because they think Silver is good. Also, trolling never stops. Ever. This is a problem that continues all the way to Diamond. I have several friends in Platinum that I duo queue a lot with, and many times we duo queue, there's a guy that says "if the last pick does anything other than support, i will feed". So no, "serious players" (and I count myself as one) are not unaffected. In fact, they are the ones most angry because while they actually try to win games, there are trolls who are dedicated to getting the best comical experience they can get out of your misery.

I actually love this idea. My friends and I were talking about this exact solution the other day. There is seriously no loss to this. Someone wants mid? Good, because now they are mid. It also promotes the competitive scene, where everyone just has one role of theirs. I think this is genious dude. Granted, I think there will still be trolls. People that will choose to play one role then pick another champ to mess with the team. They have to be real bored though lol.

Let us know how things turn out!

Thanks so much for the post and for agreesing with the idea. I dont think that it would fix the issue 100% but it will make it better. It shouldn't be mandatory maybe for everyone but only an option for those that want to be placed in a lane which would match them up with other people wiht lanes too. Past 2/3 games that i've had in ranked i've had in issue with this, the confsion and people not agreeing on lanes even though certain players called lanes first and they didn't get it, or people decide to double jungle..WTF...

Ajdin T560

03-05-2013

Quote:
LogicalTautology:
Okay, so your 'survey' is completely and utterly devoid of any meaning at all. It's not remotely accurate or representative, and the results probably aren't even what you claim them to be. Moving on from this.
I wouldn't agree with this because it would ruin the entire matchmaking system with no possibility of repair unless the system were scrapped. If I choose not to pick my role before champion select, am I being matched with only people who did likewise or with some people who did pick a role? If the former, then my wait times have gone up drastically because of a problem that doesn't affect me. If the latter, then I play Support 90% of the time and never get a choice of my role in Champ Select. Either one is completely unacceptable.
I still claim that this is not a problem, but an intended consequence of the system. So much of this game relies on being able to work with your team, so why would Champ Selct be any different? If you have a conniption any time someone else wants Mid, whereas I am happy to compromise with my team every game, do I not deserve to have more success in the game than you do? More to the point, why should anyone be given a League ranking that only reflects their ability to play Mid, which is only 20% of the game? Unless you are Challenger tier (or on a Pro team) you should expect to play any of the five roles in any given game.

Let me take you through the Scenario. You click play, 5vs5 Summoner Rift Ranked/Normal either one. Then LOL window pops up asks you what lane would you LIke or if you wouldn't like to use this option proceed as normal. Or if you proceed with first option you choose Top(2), Mid, Jungle(optional) or Bottom. Now the system matches you with other gamers that want the same thing. Now that the lanes have already been chosen lets chose our champions and play.

I understand if you don't agree with this and i can relate to why as well, waiting times may go up a bit slightly but the outcoome of Quality in the process would go up as well.

Ajdin T560

03-05-2013

Quote:
angryWelchMan:
Btw if you want a better discussion GD forum would be a better place to go and add a poll to the top. GD has more people and more activity and reds watch and comment on it.

That being said. in my own informal, not statistically irrelevant, survey this really isn't a problem. I have never had a ranked game in my climb out of bronze where the team in the lobby hasn't been able to work it out. and I have played only 2 roles about 90% of the time.

So in order to solve this small problem, that as long as your nice during champ select doesn't exist,, you want longer queue times, a damper on innovation, and more ways for people to troll. I'm not really liking this.

Also when OP offered as proof of the problem that he had "conducted a survey." This makes it sound as though the statistically tool known as a survey and done a statistical analysis and determined that this is a problem for the majority of players. While everyone thinking of this finds it impossible, when you first read it you see survey and think well I guess it is a problem then.

Surveys can be done in many ways. I've used my own which was talking to my LOL community in GAmes, chats, queues and etc... I understand its not one of the more popular ones and prefererd ones but i'm a player and i don't want to go through the extensive ones where i'd have to make a spread sheet, put it on a program or w/e. I do see your point too thoug. This is one of those things where it could be optional for those players that are sick and tired of people trolling.

LogicalTautology

03-05-2013

Quote:
Ajdin T560:
Let me take you through the Scenario. You click play, 5vs5 Summoner Rift Ranked/Normal either one. Then LOL window pops up asks you what lane would you LIke or if you wouldn't like to use this option proceed as normal. Or if you proceed with first option you choose Top(2), Mid, Jungle(optional) or Bottom. Now the system matches you with other gamers that want the same thing. Now that the lanes have already been chosen lets chose our champions and play.

I understand if you don't agree with this and i can relate to why as well, waiting times may go up a bit slightly but the outcoome of Quality in the process would go up as well.

Yes, but if I choose not to use this option, who am I being matched with? Only other people that opt out, or along with people who have chosen a role? Either way, my playing experience is ruined, as is that of all other "serious" players. Like I said, in months of playing 100+ games in Bronze S2 and quite a few games in Silver played this season, I can honestly say that this system would have helped maybe 1-2 Champ Selection screens total. This is just totally a non-issue in the games of many people in Bronze, most in Silver, almost all in Gold, and none of Plat+.
Furthermore, your categories are pretty bad frankly. You definitely need to separate AD Carry (Bot) from Support (Bot), and duo Top is not viable and needs to be removed, replace it with a mandatory Jungle.

Unbeatabledeath

03-05-2013

never.......riot already said a 1000 times that by doing this they will be forcing a meta.........also the SOLUTION is don't freaking play rank if you cant do at least 4 our of 5 roles...............Rank is not for picking your favorite position....its about working together as a team to WIN the game........

Also there are many many game in rank where i or someone else decided to lane top or mid but find out that they have a champion that they are really good at which is a GREAT counter to the other team picked.......so they change there roles.............I have won many games like this........For example i picked rengar top and enemy picked DARIUS.......... even though i had already called and picked top i traded the lane with my jungler and HE took TEEMO to counter DARIUS and i went to jungle......THAT game TEEMO basically carried us cause he dominated top......... you cant make decision like this if you get into the game with a picked LANE already...... like i said rank is for cooperation to WIN....

topher kt

03-05-2013

this will never be implemented for one simple reason. It imposes a stagnent meta game that would never change. even some pros have said that the idea of a meta is dumb and boring (the only one i can think of atm is chauster). Riot wants their game to be something innovative that can change at any moment and your idea would hinder that. although i agree that trolls are annoying but this is not a good idea.