Guide to pvp etiquette.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Prandine

03-04-2013

(Cross-posting from pirate101central.com and edited so it makes more sense for this game as well, so there's that).

[CENTER]Guide to pvp etiquette.[/CENTER]

Hello and welcome to my guide to pvp etiquette. Here I will list some things to keep in mind when doing pvp. Anyone who does pvp knows that it can get pretty competitive at times and more often than not emotions flare up, so hopefully this guide will teach players some things to keep in mind when pvping with and against others.

[CENTER]General[/CENTER]

1. Be respectful: Yelling, raging and/or cursing at your teammates and/or enemies doesn't help or solve anything and chances are will only make them perform worse than they normally would. It also makes you look like an immature troll. If you decide to use foul language, you will be reported and you will get in trouble for it as well.

2. Don't be a sore loser/winner: Even though pvp can be pretty competitive at times, most people do it to have fun and as such there's no need to be a sore loser if/when you lose or are losing. Likewise, if you win or are winning, taunting the opponents and/or acting all stuck-up, snooty and just acting like a plain jerk because of it is not needed and just makes you look like a sore winner as well as a jerk (i.e. even if you win or lose, acting like a jerk about it will only make you look bad and make people not want to pvp with or against you as well). Calling people noobs, cussing at them or saying stuff like "gg noobs" are prime examples of this.

3. Don't be afraid to ask what you did wrong or offer advice to players: Pvp can also be a good learning experience as well as a place to make new friends as well. If you see someone struggling, don't be afraid to offer them advice on how they can do better next time. Likewise if you lose, don't be afraid to ask what you did wrong either, and if your respectful and sincere about it, then chances are you'll get allot more respect and maybe even some new friends as well.

4. Don't flee when your health drops to zero: Even if you drop to zero health, that doesn't mean that the match is an automatic loss. By fleeing you make it more difficult for your teammates to win (not impossible mind-you, just more difficult). Most people carry at least one or two heals in their arsenal, so if you stick around long enough, then chances are that you'll be able to get healed and be able to live to fight another day and help out more in the fight than before.

5. Don't join and then leave/switch to the other team at the last second: Nothing's more annoying than having someone leave the queue, leaving the rest of their team without a member, making the teams un-even while the one who hopped off/switched teams laughs at the un-even teams. If you're gonna leave and/or switch teams, do it before the last possible second, or just don't bother joining at all if you're gonna leave/switch teams at the last second and then laugh about it.

6. Don't complain about matches "taking so long": I can't tell you how many times I've seen people complain about some matches "taking so long" when it's already long to begin with. When you're in a pvp match with multiple people, depending on the levels of everyone, naturally the match is gonna take a while to finish, so instead of complaining about it, you can either flee the match ending the "long" match right there or you can stick it out and not complain about it. You could also just not join the match at all if you think it'll take a while, so there's that.

7. Don't say a match is unfair when it was unfair to begin with: Now I know that we all have those matches where they just seem hopeless and that they can be unfun to do, but complaining about it in chat doesn't really do much unfortunately. Just try to do the best you can and maybe you'll be able to win that "unfair" match in a come from behind victory.

8. After a match, make sure to remember to heal up first before starting a new one: I have personally seen many people (usually lower leveled players) go into a fight with little to no health and get instantly obliterated because of it. If you want to at least last long in a fight, then you've got to remember to heal up after every fight. This way you'll be prepared in time for the next fight you do, so there's that.

9. Don't rage, quit or feed when someone picks your champ or a champ you don't like: Everyone has different playstyles and champions associated with those playstyles. Raging at them because they pick those champions will get you nowhere in the game and just causes stress for everyone else on the team due to your constant bickering/raging (same with feeding). Instead of complaing about it, just deal with it and pick a different champion to compensate for that players champion pick. If you're lucky, then that player might even be willing to trade champions with you if their intention was to keep that champion away from the enemy team as well, so there's that.

10. Communicate and compromise, not pick or call order, are the keys to having a great game: Communication and compromise are the keys to having a good game with your teammates and other players. Knowing your strengths and weaknesses, as well as knowing other players strengths and weaknesses, can help organize your team composition. You cannot always get the role you want in the game. Sometimes, you'll have to give up your favorite role to another person when you realize that person can't do other roles well or can do your favorite role better. If you end up in your weakest role, try to communicate with your team to see what they can do to make your role a bit easier. Ending up in your weakest role can also be a learning experience and you can learn more of that role from other teammates and the enemy team.

11. Giving up because someone made a mistake is not right: Let's face it, people make mistakes, and sometimes their actions that were intended to help you ended up hurting you instead. Rather than just yell at them and/or insult for the mistake they made and give up the match altogether, just realize that it was an accident and move on. Getting all bent out of shape whenever people make accidental mistakes and quitting right then and there after insulting them won't solve anything and just makes you look like a selfish, self-absorbed jerk and chances are you will not only be reported for it, but people won't want to play with you anymore and/or help you when you need it the most.

12. Don't lie and try to say something like "I won't troll" when really that's what you plan on doing: In one of my first hide and seek games, there was this one person (he was a low level but that's beside the point) who decided to troll once we got into the game and then proceeded to laugh about it. The thing is, in both the lobby and end-game chat, he lied and said he didn't know the rules, asking for another chance claiming he wouldn't troll again. Obviously this showed what kind of person he is, a lying troll who will say anything to get into games and ruin them for everyone else and then proceed to laugh about it later ignoring the cries of everyone else there. There's really no point in trying to hide your intentions behind a lie, as people will find out and expose you for the troll that you truly are. If you're gonna do something, just say it up front so that people can prepare ahead of time for it. Lying only puts off your eventual punishment, so do us all a favor and be truthful up front or don't bother playing the games at all, so there's that.

13. Accusing someone of cheating then turning around & doing the same thing you claim them of doing is not right: Let's face it, it's no fun losing, but accusing the enemy team of cheating when they're not [intentionally] doing so is not right, especially if you go and do what you accuse the enemy of doing as cheating. Accusing someone of cheating then turning around and doing the same thing they did not only just makes you contradict yourself, it also makes you look like a sore loser as well. Just do the best you can and don't accuse someone of cheating, especially if you plan on doing the same thing they did later on as well.

14. Listen to tips and advice when given to you: Believe it or not there are people in this community who want to try to help you improve your gameplay. As such, if they give you tips and advice on how to improve, you should listen to them. For example: say you're constantly getting caught out and are dying allot. For example, if your partner says "Hey man, stick to the back of the lines, that way you'll get caught out less", the best thing to do would be to listen to them and stay behind your teammates.

15. Have fun: Pvp is meant to be a fun activity to do, so there's no point to playing it if you're not gonna have fun while doing it. Just try to do the best you can and try to have fun while doing so, as even if you lose, chances are if you're respectful about your victory or defeat, then maybe you can make some new friends and pick up new strategies as well.

[CENTER]Custom Lobbies[/CENTER]

1. Don't join a custom game lobby just to troll, insult and/or cuss someone out: I can't tell you how many times I've had people join my custom game lobbies with the sole intention of being a jerk or cussing me out. Not only is this very annoying, but it's also very rude, disrespectful and just plain immature in general. If that's all your intentions are is to be a jerk, then don't bother joining at all whatsoever and find another outlet for your immaturity.

2. If you're given a randomly selected champion, don't leave the lobby just because you got one you don't like/are unfamiliar with: Part of the charm of being given a random champ is so you can have the chance to try out a champion that you might have never used otherwise. Another good thing about it is that you can get more familiar with the champs abilities and such, so by dodging for every choice you don't like, you only annoy everyone else in that lobby, so just stick with the champ you're given and see how you do as them; chances are you may be surprised and find a new favorite champion that you like in the process, so there's that.

3. Respect the lobby name and the lobby host(s) wishes: What I mean by this is that if a lobby has a certain title (i.e. something like "no trolls/cursing", "30's only", etc.) or the host of the lobby has certain guidelines for their games, then show some common courtesy and respect their wishes by doing and following what they say. For example, if a lobby title reads "30's only", then that means that the host of the lobby only wants players of lv.30 to participate. Likewise if it says "no trolls/cursing", then that means that the host doesn't want players trolling or cursing their mouths off in their game. If you're not gonna have enough decency to respect the host(s) wishes, then just don't bother joining their lobby at all. Otherwise, you'll just ruin the experience for everyone else and put yourself at risk for being reported and banned from their current lobby and future lobbies as well, so there's that.

4. If you join a lobby, don't leave immediately afterwards unless you have a good reason to: Something that can be annoying is when people join a lobby for like a split second then proceed to leave immediately afterwards without a second thought. Some lobby owners are more than happy to provide a link to the rules they use if you're unfamiliar with the type of game the lobby is referring to, so if you join, take one quick look and then leave, you're basically preventing yourself from learning a new game and/or set of game rules to boot, so there's that. Many people have game modes that you might not have heard of before, so if you're willing to take a chance and try it out, then chances are you'll find a new favorite game mode in the process, so there's that.

5. Don't join and then leave/switch to the other team at the last second: Nothing's more annoying than having someone leave the lobby and/or switching to the other team at the last possible second, leaving the rest of their team without a member, making the teams un-even while the one who hopped off/switched teams laughs at the un-even teams. If you're gonna leave and/or switch teams, do it before the last possible second, or just don't bother joining at all if you're gonna leave/switch teams at the last second and then laugh about it.

6. Don't just kick people based on their levels unless you have to: I can't tell you how many times I've seen players kicked from custom game lobbies just because of their level; heck, I've experienced the same thing myself. Just because someone's not lv.30 doesn't mean that they're dumb, useless, weak, etc. (the same goes for the opposite side of the coin too). If you give them a fair and fighting chance, then there's a good chance that they can surprise you and who knows, you might even get a new friend along the way as well, so there's that. Before you kick a lower level player, try asking yourself how you would feel if you were them.

7. Judge a person by what kind of person they are, not by how many normal queue wins they have: I often get asked how I got to lv.30 with only 13 normal queue wins, and the answer is because though I don't mind doing pvp every now and then, I prefer co-op vs ai and custom (bot) matches over pvp. Because of this, some people think I'm not that good at this game and either leave my lobby or kick me from theirs, and it's very annoying and sad to be honest with you there. Make no mistake, just because a person only has a few normal wins doesn't mean that they lack the skill and/or are a bad person (some of my friends are good fellows and good players but don't have very many normal wins). A person should be defined by who they are as a person, not by the number of normal pvp wins that they have. If you give people the chance to prove who they are as a person as well as how they play, then chances are that you may just make a new friend and/or rival to boot, so there's that.

8. Saying "go go go" constantly is not needed and is very annoying to boot: I can't tell you how many times I've seen players yell "go go go" in the lobby chat, even though they know the host isn't afk. I don't know about all of you, but I find this really annoying. If the host isn't afk, they can tell when it's time to start, and they certainly don't need you to constantly shout go every 3-5 seconds. Doing that is very annoying and not needed, so please don't keep shouting go when you know the host is watching the lobby and can tell when it's full.

9. Custom games/lobbies are not an excuse to refuse to follow/break the rules of the game: Too often I've seen some players refuse to listen to other players playing with the excuse that "who cares, it's not an official riot game mode, lol.". Custom game matches usually have their own special set of rules to go along with the summoner's code, and just because the particular type of game you joined isn't an "official" riot game mode doesn't give you the excuse/right to act up and be/act like a total jerk in the game and refuse to listen to reason. If you can't or don't have enough decency/respect to follow the rules of the custom lobbies then please just don't join the games at all whatsoever.

10. If you lose a custom made game, then please surrender with honor: Too many times I see the losing team (who usually loses fair and square) refuse to surrender and claim say stuff like "we won". If the rules say that the losing team surrenders, then just surrender honorably and don't be a troll and constantly refuse to surrender. Also if you're not the one declining the surrender, don't try to push to end the game with a "win" for your team. Doing this just shows that you don't care enough for the rules to be respectful/honorable and allow the winning team to win like they should. Bottom line, if you lose, don't try to make up excuses to try to say you won and don't try to push to the winning teams base either, that's just being a troll and is just a trollish move in general, so there's that at least.

11. Pay attention to what the map/game mode is ahead of time: Too many times I've seen players complain and say stuff like "wrong map" even though they not only could see the map that was being played on, but also usually are also told about what map it is ahead of time. You have plenty of opportunity to see what map the game lobby is being played on and are sometimes even told what map/game mode that it is ahead of time as well, so you really have no excuse to complain about it now do you? If you don't like the map, that's fine, you can leave, but please just try to make sure to just pay better attention next time before the game actually starts.

12. Accept the map that's being played on and play it: Too many times I've seen players complain and say stuff like "wrong map" even though they not only could see the map that was being played on, but also usually are also told about what map it is ahead of time. You have plenty of opportunity to see what map the game lobby is being played on and are sometimes even told what map/game mode that it is ahead of time as well, so you really have no excuse to complain about it now do you? If you don't like the map, that's fine, you can leave, but try to make sure to pay better attention next time before the game actually starts. Also, if you choose not to leave, don't constantly whine and complain about it and just accept the map that it's being played on and simply move on (this is a game that we play to have fun after all, so by constantly complaining about it, you're sucking away all of the fun that you and the other players there could be having, so there's that at least).

There are more that I can't think of right now and they will be added to this when I do manage to think of them, but for now, I hope this guide was both informative and helpful as well to boot.

Thank you for your time and until we meet again gamers, happy gaming.

P.S. Credit to Dpaladinx for tip number 10 in the general tips part/section of the guide.

Prandine

03-08-2013

Bumped for more views/replies.

Windgurdian

03-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prandine View Post
Don't join and then leave/switch to the other team at the last second:[/B][/U] Nothing's more annoying than having someone leave the lobby and/or switching to the other team at the last possible second, leaving the rest of their team without a member, making the teams un-even while the one who hopped off/switched teams laughs at the un-even teams. If you're gonna leave and/or switch teams, do it before the last possible second, or just don't bother joining at all if you're gonna leave/switch teams at the last second and then laugh about it.
I didnt know we could do this

Kyzrathnosh

03-09-2013

Mostly for ARAM.

Prandine

03-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windgurdian View Post
I didnt know we could do this
When you're in custom made lobbies, some people will quit right as you're going into champion select or will choose to switch over to the other team right before the host clicks start. It's pretty annoying when it happens.

@Kyzrathnosh, this is not just for aram, but for all the different types of game modes in general.

themaddscientist

03-11-2013

Thanks for posting this. Nice to see someone is helping to make the community better in some way.

Also, I think that more needs to be said about etiquette in champion select, especially for those of us who play normal draft or Ranked games. Games can be won or lost there, and one of my last games that I've played had someone who complained about "losing" mid, and then took "support" leblanc against a blitzcrank and did poorly, encouraging our "jungler" to be karthus. It's a simple statement sometimes, but I wish that people wouldn't get all stuck up just because they have "300+ games with kat" and complain about the guy who gets mid doesn't have as many games as him.

Prandine

03-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaddscientist View Post
Thanks for posting this. Nice to see someone is helping to make the community better in some way.

Also, I think that more needs to be said about etiquette in champion select, especially for those of us who play normal draft or Ranked games. Games can be won or lost there, and one of my last games that I've played had someone who complained about "losing" mid, and then took "support" leblanc against a blitzcrank and did poorly, encouraging our "jungler" to be karthus. It's a simple statement sometimes, but I wish that people wouldn't get all stuck up just because they have "300+ games with kat" and complain about the guy who gets mid doesn't have as many games as him.
Didn't even think of this before. I added it to the list. Thanks.

Prandine

03-13-2013

Bumped for more views/repies.

Dpaladinx

03-13-2013

That's a really nice article. How about add this one in:

11) Communicate and compromise, not pick or call order, is the key to having a great game: Communication and compromise is the key to having a good game with your teammates and other players. Knowing your strengths and weaknesses, as well as knowing other players strengths and weaknesses, can help organize your team composition. You cannot always get the role you want in the game. Sometimes, you'll have to give up your favorite role to another person when you realize that person can't do other roles well or can do your favorite role better. If you end up in your weakest role, try to communicate with your team to see what they can do to make your role a bit easier. Ending up in your weakest role can also be a learning experience and you can learn more of that role from other teammates and the enemy team.

I also agree with the third point in your post: Don't be afraid to ask what you did wrong or offer advice to players. It also helps if you end up in role you are really bad at. I had one ranked game where I told my teammates that I'm bad at jungling and ended up as the jungler. I also told them to try and play safe. Apparently, I lost that game because I got counter jungled hard and they thrawted my attempts to steal their blue buff as a punishment. At the end of the game, I asked advice from the enemy jungler (he was Hecarim) some tips to improve my jungle gameplay. He said that my choice of jungler is a bad one (I was Fizz) and I should probably start out with Nunu.

Prandine

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpaladinx View Post
That's a really nice article. How about add this one in:

11) Communicate and compromise, not pick or call order, is the key to having a great game: Communication and compromise is the key to having a good game with your teammates and other players. Knowing your strengths and weaknesses, as well as knowing other players strengths and weaknesses, can help organize your team composition. You cannot always get the role you want in the game. Sometimes, you'll have to give up your favorite role to another person when you realize that person can't do other roles well or can do your favorite role better. If you end up in your weakest role, try to communicate with your team to see what they can do to make your role a bit easier. Ending up in your weakest role can also be a learning experience and you can learn more of that role from other teammates and the enemy team.

I also agree with the third point in your post: Don't be afraid to ask what you did wrong or offer advice to players. It also helps if you end up in role you are really bad at. I had one ranked game where I told my teammates that I'm bad at jungling and ended up as the jungler. I also told them to try and play safe. Apparently, I lost that game because I got counter jungled hard and they thrawted my attempts to steal their blue buff as a punishment. At the end of the game, I asked advice from the enemy jungler (he was Hecarim) some tips to improve my jungle gameplay. He said that my choice of jungler is a bad one (I was Fizz) and I should probably start out with Nunu.
That's definitely a good point. I've added that to the list. Thanks for the tip and I'm glad you enjoyed my guide as well.