Why are they there?

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lord Kyleshorse

Senior Member

03-03-2013

Can someone please explain to me why the hell some of the recent champions join the League of Legends in the first place. Whenever I'm reading a champion's lore, they're just talking about their past, who they are, what they do, basically the basic stuff on any lore. But what's different about the new lore writing from any of the older champion lores is that they never explain why the hell they chose to join the League... ever!

I'm mean, a lot of champions had similar reason to join the League such as fighting for their city state, simply fighting for fame and glory, taking revenge with the satisfactory of killing another champion, or simply to gain the knowledge of the Institute of War.

But now... they just don't! What the hell is Thresh's motive to join the League? Why is Kha'Zix in the League without having to be imprisoned like the other Void monster champs? Why can't most of these champions have a legitimate reason for even steping foot in the INstitute of War to begin with? Please! Somebody! Explain to me what the hell happened to the lore that made me love this game!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OriginalA

Senior Member

03-04-2013

The motives behind all of the Shadow Isle Champions is a mystery for the moment. The general impression that I get is that the government of the Shadow Isle, or whatever force passes as a government there, wants more representation within the League. I think that the Shadow Isle as a whole is pushing for better representation so that it can show Valoran as a whole what it truly is rather than just be this dark place filled with terrors and death (which it certainly has, but obviously some force has a greater plan than just those two things). Personally, I think the Shadow Isle is gearing up for war against the whole of Valoran. Since a "conventional" war, with magic nukes, is out of the question due to the whole "this will blow up the entire world" thing, the best way to wage a war without causing self destruction is to apply to the League of Legends.

Kha'Zix is simply a very powerful and dangerous creature. Everyone within the League is like that. But he isn't something evil, like a hypothetical creature of unspeakable horror from a plain of existence that can only be described as sheering madness... such a place would be ridiculous. This "void" you speak of doesn't exist so how could Kha'Zix, a perfectly normal being shaped probably by some after effect of the Rune Wars, have come from there? He just wants to fit in with all of the other freakishly powerful and horrific people that can be found within the League. (Yes, I am aware of the void and all that, but most people on Runeterra don't believe it exists).

At least it is still better than Dota's lore. Their latest Hero fights on that battlefield because he beat a bunch of people in a bar fight so they dared him to fight there instead. Yep... At least it is still better than that.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lord Kyleshorse

Senior Member

03-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalA View Post
The motives behind all of the Shadow Isle Champions is a mystery for the moment. The general impression that I get is that the government of the Shadow Isle, or whatever force passes as a government there, wants more representation within the League. I think that the Shadow Isle as a whole is pushing for better representation so that it can show Valoran as a whole what it truly is rather than just be this dark place filled with terrors and death (which it certainly has, but obviously some force has a greater plan than just those two things). Personally, I think the Shadow Isle is gearing up for war against the whole of Valoran. Since a "conventional" war, with magic nukes, is out of the question due to the whole "this will blow up the entire world" thing, the best way to wage a war without causing self destruction is to apply to the League of Legends.

Kha'Zix is simply a very powerful and dangerous creature. Everyone within the League is like that. But he isn't something evil, like a hypothetical creature of unspeakable horror from a plain of existence that can only be described as sheering madness... such a place would be ridiculous. This "void" you speak of doesn't exist so how could Kha'Zix, a perfectly normal being shaped probably by some after effect of the Rune Wars, have come from there? He just wants to fit in with all of the other freakishly powerful and horrific people that can be found within the League. (Yes, I am aware of the void and all that, but most people on Runeterra don't believe it exists).

At least it is still better than Dota's lore. Their latest Hero fights on that battlefield because he beat a bunch of people in a bar fight so they dared him to fight there instead. Yep... At least it is still better than that.
Thanks for responding, and your answers certainly clears up a lot of things. But the main thing that bugs me is Riot never chooses to explain this, nor do they ever explain any champion's reason to join the League of Legends, the last one I remember having a purpose being Varus, whose lore stated that he" seeked the blood of all Noxians involved with the invasion, a grisly task that eventually led him to the invasion's most infamous perpetrators in the League of Legends", as well as being the last champion to ever have a judgement.
Clearly League of Legends is now to the point where people can only care about ranked games and meta gaming rather than the whole story behind the game. It's obvious by the poor presentation in lore from recent champions that Riot is taking effort away from that entirely, like they decided to take away League Judgments and the Journal of Justice. Frankly, I'm surprised there's still a lore discussion post still up, considering the lack of deep lore the past few months.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OriginalA

Senior Member

03-04-2013

If you want to see what no effort into lore looks like take a look at Dota 2. Trust me, Riot DOES put work into the Lore for their Champions. Quinn and Valor should be evidence enough of that on their own. Only the worst of Riot's lore works is comparable to Dota 2's average lore. If you hate Riot's lore team so much, learn what no effort truly is. I mean it. Read Dota 2 Hero Lore then come back and tell me that Riot puts no effort into their Champion lore. I'll wait.

Of the most recent released Champions,
Quinn is easily one of the most worked on, most developed Champions in the game, bar none.
Thresh belongs to the Shadow Isle, which is a specific place that Riot wants to currently develop further.
Vi has her background pitting her as Caitlyn's partner and as her partner it makes sense for her to back Caitlyn up.
Nami is, admitably, a bit on the weak side when it comes to lore, but she still has a connection to Diana via the moonstone as well as Fizz due to the unknown abyssal terror that can threaten underwater cities. EDIT: The League is the center of the continent and has representatives from everywhere. What better place to learn about an object, the moon pearl and the person whom carries it, if you don't know where to find it? /EDIT
Zed has replaced the Kinnku order and has taken his place as the ninja representative for Ionia.
Elise... I haven't a damned clue aside from more Shadow Isle stuff.
Kha'Zix I've already talked about. EDIT: He also wants to kill Rengar, who joined the League before Kha'Zix did, so he's hunting Rengar there. /EDIT
Syndra gains housing, funding, and protection by joining up to the League while she actively and openly plots to take down the Ionian government. She's an enemy of the state and Ionia can't touch her as long as she's a Champion and on League grounds. She has a very good reason to be there.
Rengar... Point to you.
Diana gains the same protection that Syndra has. As a bonus she gets to confront Leona while pleading her case in an attempt to convince Leona that the Solari are corrupt.
Zyra desperately wants to survive and she knows so very little of the world. The League not only provides protection, but is also both physically and politically, the center of Valoran. What better place could there be for her? She also seems to have a small nature-first agenda, which is a political view, which again is best furthered by being in the political center of Valoran, which is the League.
Jayce became a bit of a vigilante when he attacked Viktor in his bio. At the end of his bio Jayce decided that the best way to defend Piltover from any counter attack would be to take the battle to the Field of Justice.
Draven and Darius are both official Noxian representatives. That alone is worthy justification to join the League. Draven as the added bonus of being a showoff and wanting attention and League matches are displayed across all of Valoran. EDIT: Darius honors strength above all else and the League is a collection of the strongest individuals on the continent. To fight there is to fight against the very best. /EDIT
Now we are back to Varus.
How many of these champions have poor excuses to join the League again?

EDIT: P.S. I should tell you that all of this is, for the most part, stuff that I've pieced together just by reading the lore. Is it so hard to think for yourself on why these people would be here? It's been stated that there are several bonuses for being a champion. Sivir does it for money; pure and simple. Alistar eventually embraced the massive political weight a champion gets just for being a champion and he doesn't even represent a city-state. Ashe was stated to hold diplomatic talks within the League's halls. Draven to spread his showmanship across the continent. Blitzcrank joined just so he could be accepted by people for his merits as a person rather than a strange quirk of technology.

The League is one of the most tolerant, peaceful, and protected places on Valoran. It draws people from all across Valoran to its halls. It is the definitive center of multi-national politics. It is broadcasted across the continent. It provides shelter, wealth, and protection. It has so many oddballs there that most people are open minded enough to look past first impressions and prejudices. The strongest warriors fight there in battle arenas (which, by the way, is why Thresh is there too since he's looking for the strongest souls). And you can't think of any reason why these people would want to join it? You can't put those few dots together? Must Riot spell it out for you every time? Personally, I like it when I have to think about a character's motivations. Asking "why" is one of the most important things you can do in a narrative, both as an author and as part of the audience. Figuring that out is half the fun. /EDIT


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cerubois

Senior Member

03-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalA View Post
Zed has replaced the Kinnku order and has taken his place as the ninja representative for Ionia.
What? No he hasn't. He's only in the League to become stronger and try to destroy the Kinkou, which makes no sense since they're under the protection of the League...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalA View Post
Kha'Zix I've already talked about. EDIT: He also wants to kill Rengar, who joined the League before Kha'Zix did, so he's hunting Rengar there. /EDIT
Rengar and Kha'Zix have the weakest lore in the game. They want to kill each other. So ignoring any essence of personality (neither would even want to be in the League in the first place) they go to the place where they can't kill each other. Like, seriously. >.>

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalA View Post
Syndra gains housing, funding, and protection by joining up to the League while she actively and openly plots to take down the Ionian government. She's an enemy of the state and Ionia can't touch her as long as she's a Champion and on League grounds. She has a very good reason to be there.
I keep saying the League would not be stupid enough to help their enemy. Syndra is their enemy. She is the epitome of what the League is trying to prevent: Widespread, powerful magic. Syndra probably has the capability to cause more damage than a Rune War. They would not allow her to do as she wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalA View Post
Draven and Darius are both official Noxian representatives. That alone is worthy justification to join the League. Draven as the added bonus of being a showoff and wanting attention and League matches are displayed across all of Valoran. EDIT: Darius honors strength above all else and the League is a collection of the strongest individuals on the continent. To fight there is to fight against the very best. /EDIT
Draven is in it for himself. He wanted more attention. Something tells me he doesn't care for Noxus much at all.
Darius is the opposite. He is solely there for Noxus, for political reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalA View Post
Now we are back to Varus.
Varus' goal is unattainable. He wants to kill the Noxians that are protected by the League. It makes no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalA View Post
How many of these champions have poor excuses to join the League again?

EDIT: P.S. I should tell you that all of this is, for the most part, stuff that I've pieced together just by reading the lore. Is it so hard to think for yourself on why these people would be here? It's been stated that there are several bonuses for being a champion. Sivir does it for money; pure and simple. Alistar eventually embraced the massive political weight a champion gets just for being a champion and he doesn't even represent a city-state. Ashe was stated to hold diplomatic talks within the League's halls. Draven to spread his showmanship across the continent. Blitzcrank joined just so he could be accepted by people for his merits as a person rather than a strange quirk of technology.

The League is one of the most tolerant, peaceful, and protected places on Valoran. It draws people from all across Valoran to its halls. It is the definitive center of multi-national politics. It is broadcasted across the continent. It provides shelter, wealth, and protection. It has so many oddballs there that most people are open minded enough to look past first impressions and prejudices. The strongest warriors fight there in battle arenas (which, by the way, is why Thresh is there too since he's looking for the strongest souls). And you can't think of any reason why these people would want to join it? You can't put those few dots together? Must Riot spell it out for you every time? Personally, I like it when I have to think about a character's motivations. Asking "why" is one of the most important things you can do in a narrative, both as an author and as part of the audience. Figuring that out is half the fun. /EDIT
The League of Legends is not what you think it is. It exists to protect the world on a whole, not to provide shelter and warmth. It accepts the 'oddballs' because it has the opportunity to study them or prevent them from causing world-wide damage.
It is not entirely benevolent. It captures entities if they pose a threat to its goal (Brand, Xerath, Cho'Gath, Syndra). It is prejudiced and biased. It sees its own goal before others'. Look to Kalamanda. They could have prevented the conflict between Noxus and Demacia. Instead, they waited until they could end it all in one big sweep, allowing many deaths and causing Kalamanda to become uninhabitable.

You tell people to connect the dots, but you seem to be skipping half of them in your picture. You need to ask "why" more.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OriginalA

Senior Member

03-04-2013

Kassadin and Malzahar are both part of the League and they still fight each other outside of the Fields of Justice but still on League grounds as well as beyond them. Neither of them, despite both of them being leaders of rather large cult followings of dubious intent, are locked up.

Kalamanda is a specific instance of the League being selfish. Yes, they did put themselves before everyone else. THAT IS NOT HOW THE LEAGUE IS SUPPOSE TO WORK. In case you didn't notice but High Summoners got arrested by that. That was a conspiracy done by the corrupt within the League. As a part of its function the League is supposed to stop that kind of stuff instead of perpetrate it.

Rereading Rengar and Kha'Zix's lore and they both love to fight people stronger than them. Guess what the League has? The largest collection of the strongest warriors on the continent. And they get to kill them again, and again, and again. And if they are clever enough they can kill each other within the walls but before the League shows up so they can put each other down for good.

You say Zed and Varus's goals and unattainable. I cite the fact that Karthus got himself killed by interfering in Kassadin and Malzahar's unsanctioned fight. The only reason he is alive still is because he was undead to begin with. And they were on league grounds. Difficult? Yes, but not unattainable. Considering that Zed is ruthless and Varus deliberately put a death sentence on himself I don't think a few simple rules are going to stop them from trying to assassinate the people they want to kill.

As for Syndra being denied by the League on the basis that she is an enemy of Ionia? The League is NEUTRAL. If she qualifies as a champion they have to protect her from Ionia. Now, as for confining her on the basis that she is a threat to the whole of Valoran, I point out that she isn't nearly the most powerful person that they've seen. Lee Sin nuked a town by accident, which is admitably something they normally would have punished but they didn't for the sake of attempting to recruit him into their ranks as a Summoner. Synrda hasn't done anything like that yet. She hasn't sworn to burn the world to the ground like Brand did. She isn't a necromancer, which seems to be mostly illegal. And frankly, she isn't nearly the most powerful person that is running free within the League. Xerath is a being of pure magic. He has deliberate malicious intent against the League. He is free to do as he pleases within its walls provided it is legal. They don't hold him against his will. He is not a prisoner to them. The League enjoys having too many powerful beings because, by being a collection of the most powerful champions and summoners, they are interested in growing and pushing themselves further. They can't resist looking into this new and exiting thing even if it is dangerous. Ryze has a scroll than can end the world, and they know about Lilith wanting to use it to do just that, and yet they haven't captured her (that I know of).

You think the League goes about locking up every bad guy in the continent, but they don't. They only do that to the really bad guys who show no restraint. Kha'Zix is fairly low key as far as the Void is concerned (although they should be worried about the fact that a portal to the Void opened up in a place that is relatively unharmed by the Rune Wars). Cho'Gath is biding his own time because he thinks its funny. There is a measured difference in their power. Cho'Gath holds back for his own entertainment while Kha'Zix can only stand on the same level as the champions. Brand is very open about his desire to burn everything. The fact that he tried to do that but was stopped is one thing. Then he was given a CHOICE. Fight in the League or die. Brand should be dead but the League is keeping him alive by virtue that he is interesting. Kog'Maw joined the League by invitation of Malzahar instead of a policing force. Fiddlesticks, another one of the imprisoned by the League, was summoned by illegal magic; he just isn't worth the trouble of being gotten rid of before they used him in the League as a Champion. Renekton was imprisoned by design from the start. The League summoned him from across the planes with the intent of making him a slave. They have since stopped doing that because the magic was disruptive and local champions started signing up.

The League isn't a happy place, but they are more than willing to do something colossally stupid in order to study incredibly powerful people. Besides, if they started hunting down specific enemy's of the state like Syndra then other city-states will start clamoring for the League to hunt down their enemies. That is something it can't do without risking alienating the other city-states and causing a war with a sizable portion of Valoran against the League.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hussarlance

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

03-04-2013

I will give into my inner fan boy and defend Rengar's Lore.

RENGAR
Rengar showing up to the League makes sense. In turn so does Kha'Zix.

Rengar is not necessarily interested in killing Kha'Zix, just hunting him. After becoming the absolute number one hunter of his territory, he became depressed and bored.

Then Kha'Zix comes along and proves to him that there are marks worth hunting, suddenly life is worth living again!

To make it better, he can hunt Kha'Zix pretty much forever because he can track, trap, and kill the bug as many times as he wants. And as if arrangement were not awesome enough, Kha'Zix evolves to become stronger every time they fight, so there is no danger of becoming bored like he did before!

KHA'ZIX
So Rengar joined the league looking for the one that got away. When he joined he probably said something to the effect of: "I will join you guys, but you better bring me Kha'Zix!"

So if a bunch of high ranking summoners came to Malzahar and asked, "Hey Malz, can you bring in more Void Demon Thing-a-ma-jigs into reality?" I assume he would jump with joy. Hell, Malzahar probably orchestrated the entire thing.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OriginalA

Senior Member

03-04-2013

Rengar has a special place on his wall for Kha'Zix's head. He really does want to kill Kha'Zix.

Malzahar didn't summon Kha'Zix. If he had the power to do so he would have done it a hundred times already to flood Valoran with Void monsters. Most people don't even believe the Void exists so why would people ask him to summon a monster from a plane of existence that doesn't exist (as far as they know)?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Montesque64

Senior Member

03-04-2013

I had a similar conversation in a fairly lengthy thread a while back, even down to the comparison with Dota's lore.

So I'll just add in my agreement that the reasons are very much there, it's just that Riot stopped putting a sentence at the end of each bio: "THIS IS WHY THIS CHAMPION JOINED THE LEAGUE" and assumed people would be able to figure it out based on character cues...which apparently has met with mixed success judging by this and other posts like it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cerubois

Senior Member

03-04-2013

I hate to break this into pieces, but it's necessary because it's going to get long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalA View Post
Kassadin and Malzahar are both part of the League and they still fight each other outside of the Fields of Justice but still on League grounds as well as beyond them. Neither of them, despite both of them being leaders of rather large cult followings of dubious intent, are locked up.
Neither Kassadin or Malzahar has immense power in themselves. They may have enough power to contest the other, but they aren't a threat to the world at large. Hence, the League allows them, just as it allows people like Vayne and Varus. They don't threaten the world's safety, even if their goals are sinister. (And no, Malzahar simply saying the Void is coming does not really threaten the world)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalA View Post
Kalamanda is a specific instance of the League being selfish. Yes, they did put themselves before everyone else. THAT IS NOT HOW THE LEAGUE IS SUPPOSE TO WORK. In case you didn't notice but High Summoners got arrested by that. That was a conspiracy done by the corrupt within the League. As a part of its function the League is supposed to stop that kind of stuff instead of perpetrate it.
What I referred to when I mentioned Kalamanda is the enormous amount of build-up that led to the mini-war between Noxua and Demacia, and how at any point, the League could have stepped in and stopped it before the fighting happened. The corruption only created the events that led to the fighting, not the delayed response by the League. Only after people started dying did they finally swoop in and time-stop the entire piece of land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalA View Post
Rereading Rengar and Kha'Zix's lore and they both love to fight people stronger than them. Guess what the League has? The largest collection of the strongest warriors on the continent. And they get to kill them again, and again, and again. And if they are clever enough they can kill each other within the walls but before the League shows up so they can put each other down for good.
Rengar may like to hunt, but he was devastated by his 'draw' with Kha'Zix. I can only imagine what actually being killed might do to his pride...
On a larger note, Kha'Zix only hunts to feed his obsession with evolving. He would fear becoming stagnant, as his goal would be lost. And here he is, in the League, with no chance to evolve.
In any case, they needn't have come to the League to fight each other. How did they even know the place existed? Why did they both figure the other would go there? Why wouldn't they just return to the spot where they fought and continue their battle until someone won? They literally have no reason to be in the League. "To fight" is by far the weakest excuse in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalA View Post
You say Zed and Varus's goals and unattainable. I cite the fact that Karthus got himself killed by interfering in Kassadin and Malzahar's unsanctioned fight. The only reason he is alive still is because he was undead to begin with. And they were on league grounds. Difficult? Yes, but not unattainable. Considering that Zed is ruthless and Varus deliberately put a death sentence on himself I don't think a few simple rules are going to stop them from trying to assassinate the people they want to kill.
They did not fight on League grounds. The summoners were required to follow Kog'Maw into the mountains to find them. But I won't nitpick about that further.
I suppose this leads to a more conflicting territory in the LoL's lore. Namely, how much can the League protect people? Are champions 'on their own' as soon as they step off the property? Can someone be killed just as easily inside the League itself?
More importantly, how severe is the punishment for murdering a fellow champion? I imagine it would be quite harsh, with no room for a repeat case.
So, if Zed could somehow kill the entire Kinkou at once (doubtful), he would still end up incarcerated, or worse, by the League. Half of his goal would be complete, but at the cost of the other half. The same goes for Varus.

On a more realistic note, Zed and Varus' goals are unattainable simply because Riot cannot kill off champions. That might sound like reverse logic, but think about it. They can change city-state situations, they can modify the world, but they cannot kill off characters. So why would they decide to write someone's lore based on them wanting to kill certain characters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalA View Post
Lee Sin nuked a town by accident
It's small things like this that make me doubt whether people actually read the lore. :/
Lee Sin accidentally killed one boy when he tried to summon a beast from the Plague Jungles, while studying under the League as a summoner. He left the League to become a monk and find atonement. Only after his display in Ionia, where he set himself on fire to protest Noxus' occupation, did he consider coming back as a champion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalA View Post
As for Syndra being denied by the League on the basis that she is an enemy of Ionia? The League is NEUTRAL. If she qualifies as a champion they have to protect her from Ionia. Now, as for confining her on the basis that she is a threat to the whole of Valoran, I point out that she isn't nearly the most powerful person that they've seen. Lee Sin nuked a town by accident, which is admitably something they normally would have punished but they didn't for the sake of attempting to recruit him into their ranks as a Summoner. Synrda hasn't done anything like that yet. She hasn't sworn to burn the world to the ground like Brand did. She isn't a necromancer, which seems to be mostly illegal. And frankly, she isn't nearly the most powerful person that is running free within the League. Xerath is a being of pure magic. He has deliberate malicious intent against the League. He is free to do as he pleases within its walls provided it is legal. They don't hold him against his will. He is not a prisoner to them. The League enjoys having too many powerful beings because, by being a collection of the most powerful champions and summoners, they are interested in growing and pushing themselves further. They can't resist looking into this new and exiting thing even if it is dangerous. Ryze has a scroll than can end the world, and they know about Lilith wanting to use it to do just that, and yet they haven't captured her (that I know of).

You think the League goes about locking up every bad guy in the continent, but they don't. They only do that to the really bad guys who show no restraint. Kha'Zix is fairly low key as far as the Void is concerned (although they should be worried about the fact that a portal to the Void opened up in a place that is relatively unharmed by the Rune Wars). Cho'Gath is biding his own time because he thinks its funny. There is a measured difference in their power. Cho'Gath holds back for his own entertainment while Kha'Zix can only stand on the same level as the champions. Brand is very open about his desire to burn everything. The fact that he tried to do that but was stopped is one thing. Then he was given a CHOICE. Fight in the League or die. Brand should be dead but the League is keeping him alive by virtue that he is interesting. Kog'Maw joined the League by invitation of Malzahar instead of a policing force. Fiddlesticks, another one of the imprisoned by the League, was summoned by illegal magic; he just isn't worth the trouble of being gotten rid of before they used him in the League as a Champion. Renekton was imprisoned by design from the start. The League summoned him from across the planes with the intent of making him a slave. They have since stopped doing that because the magic was disruptive and local champions started signing up.

The League isn't a happy place, but they are more than willing to do something colossally stupid in order to study incredibly powerful people. Besides, if they started hunting down specific enemy's of the state like Syndra then other city-states will start clamoring for the League to hunt down their enemies. That is something it can't do without risking alienating the other city-states and causing a war with a sizable portion of Valoran against the League.
I'll say it again. Syndra is an enemy of the LEAGUE, not just Ionia. She apparently has an unlimited amount of magic power, and she recklessly uses it for her own purposes. This could eventually become catastrophic, seeing as she continues to grow stronger every day. Thus, the League would need to stop it before it started literally tearing the world apart.
As much as Riot has yet to say what happened between Syndra's bio and her arrival at the League, there is one thing that stands out. She fought a legion of people between those two points (see her in-game taunt). A legion is a lot of people (roughly 5000). Considering the fact that she's entirely reckless and arrogant, she likely DID attack Ionia, before the League stopped and captured her. It makes sense, considering her situation and personality.
Yes, the League has many powerful people within it. The ones with dangerous intentions are imprisoned. So I'm not sure why you're bringing them up while claiming the League doesn't imprison them. (And Renekton wasn't summoned to be a slave! Are you sure you're reading properly?)

You also seem to forget that it's not simply the champions that are under the protection of the League, but the City-states that support it. Before the Ionian War, Ionia was isolationist. They weren't part of the League, and this allowed Noxus to invade it freely. However, by the end, Ionia had given in and joined the League, and this led to the end of the war. The results of it were determined through League matches.


12