Morellonomicon OP on this map

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fomorian27

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-03-2013

As we all know, being unable to back and heal makes regen stats all the more useful on this map. That's why aps will often get spellvamp, ads will get lifesteal, and tanks will get health regen. I even go so far as to run spellvamp quints on some ap champs (changing it up with MPen now and again). The point is that since PG has more ambient regen than normal, and people are more likely to be at low health than PG, Morellonomicon is stronger on PG than on other maps.

The champs that have the most inbuilt sustain tend to be the strongest on aram. Case in point: ap yi. Even if there isn't someone as op as yi on the other team, there will usually be people with some kind of sustain, be it mundo, or volibear, or morgana, vlad, or swain. Morello is invaluable against them. And, since there's no backing, they're likely to be at low enough health to apply the debuff any time you engage.

Ironically, it was the cooldown reduction buff to athenes that brought morellonomicon to my attention. For a while I've been finding athenes to be lacking a little in number of departments, and even though chalice is still a great starting item on most APs, I think finishing morello is now a much better build path now.

FDru

03-03-2013

It's a good item, but it's not OP given that the debuff is only situationally applied. Even if you're low on health enough for it to matter, it's not hard to fall back, play defensively and grab health relics or whatever.

Quote:
And, since there's no backing, they're likely to be at low enough health to apply the debuff any time you engage.
And this is just false. The point of sustain is so you aren't sitting around with low health.

DraegonSpawn

03-04-2013

Morello's debuff only last 4 seconds so when the enemy backs it wears off REALLY fast. The Passive actually doesn't come into play too often on PG, except on champions that deals damage over a long duration, such as Swain or Malzahar. What makes it nasty is the healthy chunk of mana regen, AP, AND Cooldown reduction. But it isn't OP in the slightest. A Seraph's Embrace can provide 2-3x the AP, and gives good mana regen. Morello is great but it isn't Warmogs.

PrincessDerpy

03-05-2013

Still **** tier, take Ignite if you're so concerned about someone healing in combat.

Fomorian27

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraegonSpawn View Post
Morello's debuff only last 4 seconds so when the enemy backs it wears off REALLY fast. The Passive actually doesn't come into play too often on PG, except on champions that deals damage over a long duration, such as Swain or Malzahar. What makes it nasty is the healthy chunk of mana regen, AP, AND Cooldown reduction. But it isn't OP in the slightest. A Seraph's Embrace can provide 2-3x the AP, and gives good mana regen. Morello is great but it isn't Warmogs.
I was mostly saying it was OP for effect. Of course it's mainly a situational item. But what makes it so strong despite what you're saying (people running back and waiting out the debuff) is that people often commit to fights at low health because they are relying on their health regen to let them live through it. The gameply of a lot of characters revolves around that: ap yi, mundo, volibear, and ad carries that want to drain tank enemies by kiting. I find that sustain is the most problematic thing on ARAMs, a team with sustain often beats one without, and I think morellonomicon does a lot to level the playing field.

Babycakes

03-08-2013

The healing debuff is applied by ANY spell effect, including spellblade. So even basic attacks will do

Warrrrax

03-08-2013

It is theoretically a fine situational item vs enemies that have high amounts of bursty healing such as Mundo. However, it turns out to be pretty lousy in actuality because of the existence of Chalice/Athenes.

Most AP champs have some poke and need lots of mana. A faery charm doesn't cut it, and yet 3 MP5 is all you get till you finish the entire Morellos which takes a while.
So most will start with Tear or Chalice which will fix their mana problems. In which case the MP5 from Morello is rather redundant.

If they picked Chalice, guess what? They will upgrade to Athenes which gives the SAME EXACT STATS, including a big chunk of Magic resist, for an extra 400g and have more efficiency than the Morello, and provides a crapload more mana. How can you find Athenes lacking yet Morello OP based on the stats!?!

If they picked Chalice, a morello would be an awful next pick as the CDR would almost always spill over, they would get tons of completley unnecessary MP5, and theyd be using a slot for a medium sized item just getting a Passive and some AP, with no survivability and not all that much offense gain.
Pretty much everyone would want to get Guise/Liandrys, or go toward Deathcap.

So not its not OP. It sucks, except vs a Mundo.

GrosPigeon

03-08-2013

Why it's a good item:

It's good because it builds off Kage's lucky pick, it means if you plan on building Morellonomicon, you can hold onto your kages lucky pick for some time before building it.

It's a good item versus heavy sustain champions like Warwick, Mundo, Volibear, Vlad, Swain, etc... also good vs any team with a healer and is good lategame to reduce the lifesteal of the ennemy AD carry.

Fun fact: any magic damage you deal to a target <40% health will apply the debuff, this includes masteries spellblade.

Why it's not the best item;

Waste of stats:
Most mana mages need to build Athenes as their mana regen item which gives 20% cdr and very high mana regen, morello gives another 20% which is a waste of stats if you take some cdr masteries or if you buy a blue pot.

It gives too much cdr for the amount of mp5 it gives. You won't be able to spam more with only +15mp5 even if you get +20% cdr.

I'm not a huge fan of morellonomicon in general, I think that always building it is a mistake but it's fine in some situations where you really need to inflict grievious wound.

FDru

03-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrosPigeon View Post
Waste of stats:
Most mana mages need to build Athenes as their mana regen item which gives 20% cdr and very high mana regen, morello gives another 20% which is a waste of stats if you take some cdr masteries or if you buy a blue pot.
That's annoying but there's actually no 15% CDR item for APs, so you are almost always going to be wasting CDR (if you get the 4% mastery and you're building Athene's but still want to get 39% or more CDR). Blue pots were more useful at filling CDR gaps before, but now you're not likely to have a flat 30% CDR at any time, so your options are pretty much "less than max CDR" or "CDR overkill", and I'll usually take the latter if it's only 4%. The other tier 1 offensive masteries aren't as useful as having that extra 4% CDR early game anyway, so it's not that much of a waste.

And some champs can run out of mana with both Athene's and Morello, in my experience (like Warwick with his horrible base mana stats).

Warrrrax

03-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDru View Post
That's annoying but there's actually no 15% CDR item for APs, so you are almost always going to be wasting CDR (if you get the 4% mastery and you're building Athene's but still want to get 39% or more CDR). Blue pots were more useful at filling CDR gaps before, but now you're not likely to have a flat 30% CDR at any time, so your options are pretty much "less than max CDR" or "CDR overkill", and I'll usually take the latter if it's only 4%. The other tier 1 offensive masteries aren't as useful as having that extra 4% CDR early game anyway, so it's not that much of a waste.

And some champs can run out of mana with both Athene's and Morello, in my experience (like Warwick with his horrible base mana stats).
I agree that the options are rather limited. Still, by taking both you are getting a ton of overkill mana for almost all champions with no survivability, nor any penetration, nor a big chunk of AP.

As for reasonable alternatives, I would suggest the following:

* Hextech Sweeper - Extremely efficient item giving decent AP, good health boost, great bush control, and a big amount of movespeed. You can shortcut by just taking the Kindlegem for CDR/health, but Id complete the sweeper ASAP since for 1k gold you get 1k gold of AP, plus all the other goodies.

* Fiendish Codex and sit on it. Eventually can build into Deathfire Grasp for fat AP, Morellos for AP upgrade (and 6% more CDR), or even Banner for some AP, armor, HP5 aura.

* Kindlegem and sit on it. Eventually can get a Locket or Reverie (or visage) after all other slots filled.