Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Where would you like to see VoteBan implemented?

All game types. 7 31.82%
All normal/ranked games(Non-Custom). 5 22.73%
All Draft Pick games(Non-Custom). 4 18.18%
All Solo-Duo Ranked games. 4 18.18%
I do not want to see VoteBan implemented. 2 9.09%
Voters 22 .

[Suggestion] Pre-Rooting out "Toxic Players."

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LeoVonNewton

03-03-2013

Hello, many other players along with myself have been becoming very irritated, as I'm sure you are as well Riot, that there are many players who seek to "troll" or just in general be a disruption in the enjoyment of this game.

In the League of Legends community there are very many of us who generally enjoy the game for fun and no other reason than to have that fun with our friends and many others about the world. There are also many that seek to become better, to rank up, to be professionals and win big, while at the same time having fun. Then of course are the leftovers, the "toxic players." This group of people seeks only to disrupt, anger, and "troll" the true players of this game. They have grown to be a serious problem in every major and minor game in existence, League of Legends is not alone in this.

The problem has been addressed in part by the Tribunal and the Honor system, with some much regarded success. Providing incentives for being a good sport and providing punishment for players who are not wise in their conduct. A great beginning to a solution but this has not completely solved the problem.

Many people have grown to saying "Most games are decided in Champion Select." Which has very little truth behind it, although with "toxic players" this statement becomes truth. My fellow summoners and I have time and time again experienced the agitation of queuing up and being placed with a player who from the beginning is "toxic." "Mid or feed," "Zilean ADC," "-insert profanity here-," are just some of the first messages we have seen that designate that person as a "toxic player" or "troll." What is the current solution? Deal with it or leave the game and wait for your "Leaver Buster" timer to run out. Is that really necessary though? We have to deal with a person that who at last pick decides he wants to jungle(or any other pos.) after not saying anything through picks and bans and forces the already chosen jungle to go somewhere he is unprepared for, or accept our ADC that got random picked as Zilean and is now setting his summoners to Revive/Clarity saying "GG time to feed."

My proposal is to include a VoteBan system in Champion Select, to allow the team to, by majority rule, remove a player that is "toxic," that wasn't paying attention during his pick, that tried to take a position that was already locked, or a clear "troll." This would not only be one step closer to removing the problem of "toxic players" but also lessen the number of players being punished because they didn't want to have a 30 minute game ruined by someone who shouldn't be playing this game in the first place due to refusal of communication and general rudeness.

The implementation of this would be fairly simple, just allow for a VoteBan command or button on each player in Champion Select, after acquiring 3 votes to be removed from the team, the player in question will be kicked from the queue and suffer a small time penalty to ensure that he cannot return 2 seconds later and repeat his actions. The 3 vote requirement is used in this proposal because 1 is obviously ridiculous, 2 would give power to anyone in a duo-queue, 4 would give the final say to the individuals possible duo-queue partner, they are more than likely friends, and 5 would be of course ridiculous as well because it would require them to self-ban. 3 votes is justifiable because in ranked even if you and your duo-queue partner vote, one other party must also vote. It also does not allow full protection if the player in question himself is duo-queuing.

A secondary measure which will aide in the removal of "toxic players" and prevent the wrongful punishment of true players is to send VoteBan and LeaverBuster cases to the Tribunal for them to determine if the VoteBan was justified and the player should be subject to punishment and if the "leaver" was in the right to leave his game to avoid having to play a 30 minute game that would be highly likely that it would be far less than enjoyable.

Thank you for your time and consideration, I leave the rest to you.
---LeoVonNewton

WilliamTheSimple

03-03-2013

Trololololol <3

OutlawStarx2

03-04-2013

The problem with your idea is that it can be easily abuse to create favorable match-ups and without any limitations 3 people can do normal queue and juts ban people for the sake of trolling making it impossible to start a game for a ton of people.

in my post I suggested a vote rate limit, like once an hour or once every 2-3hours, but there are many other good ideas that riot can implement to balance a voting system.

and sometimes **** happens where you need to go afk and you get random picked and you didn't mean to, or any number of accidents, they shouldn't be penalized for a mistake if it's avoided.

hence the model I presented in my thread, where you can give a reason to boot a person, other than reporting him or her.

chiefZzzzzzzzzzz

03-05-2013

Quote:
OutlawStarx2:
The problem with your idea is that it can be easily abuse to create favorable match-ups and without any limitations 3 people can do normal queue and juts ban people for the sake of trolling making it impossible to start a game for a ton of people.
Then implement a system where a party can only vote another player out of the queue every X seconds/minutes. Also, it is worth noting that other MOBA games like HoN allow a team to vote another player out of the game if they feel they can still win without them, so there is evidence to support that this theory has working and successful practice.
Quote:
OutlawStarx2:
and sometimes **** happens where you need to go afk and you get random picked and you didn't mean to, or any number of accidents, they shouldn't be penalized for a mistake if it's avoided.
Then this player would want to leave the queue anyway if they got randomed into a pick they didn't want. Sure, the wait time would suck, but as long as you're not a repeat offender it shouldn't be that much of a problem, and even then you would be more inclined to pay attention to your queue in that situation.

LeoVonNewton

03-18-2013

--Bump--
--Really hoping this goes somewhere

chiefZzzzzzzzzzz

03-20-2013

Something has recently happened to me which made me think of this post on the forums. A group of three guys decided to troll another random and I in Champion Select. I dodged from the queue, but I took several Print Screen images of the Champion Select screen before I dodged as the queue progressed.

There are six images in total, and I am more than willing to post them; however, I'm not wanting to post them for vengeance against the said "trolls." I want to post these images so I can give visual proof that such abuse is actually occurring in Champion Select, and should be dealt with.
As such, I am considering editing the toxic players' summoner names out of the pictures, my only hesitation being that it may not be as veritable without the names. Since I want to give these images to the community, it only seems fair that I ask the community before posting them.

Please respond so I can post the pictures with a clear conscience.

King Lmn Pancake

03-22-2013

I hope riot takes this in.

ArchpriseVega

03-22-2013

Quote:
chiefZzzzzzzzzzz:
Something has recently happened to me which made me think of this post on the forums. A group of three guys decided to troll another random and I in Champion Select. I dodged from the queue, but I took several Print Screen images of the Champion Select screen before I dodged as the queue progressed.

There are six images in total, and I am more than willing to post them; however, I'm not wanting to post them for vengeance against the said "trolls." I want to post these images so I can give visual proof that such abuse is actually occurring in Champion Select, and should be dealt with.
As such, I am considering editing the toxic players' summoner names out of the pictures, my only hesitation being that it may not be as veritable without the names. Since I want to give these images to the community, it only seems fair that I ask the community before posting them.

I'd say post it, names and all. This isn't exactly a Republic where people have rights. Their names aren't private property either.

Nightwhite3

03-22-2013

This is probably one of the best suggestions I've seen so far, although I want this in all game modes it would be most logical to mainly have it for solo/duo queue.

LeoVonNewton

03-24-2013

Quote:
chiefZzzzzzzzzzz:

Post them if you think it will help the cause, I'm sure everyone is aware of the situation at hand but displayed evidence never hurt a thing